Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Santa removed from Coke cans. Non-Christians find him "offensive."

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_1
    I want Santa

I agree with Busyman; put Jesus back into the mix.

Santa Claus is an infamous prick anyhow, and he runs a non-union shop.

The S.P.C.A. wants his ass for abusing reindeer, too.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Political Correctness gone mad.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    Political Correctness gone mad.
    Indeed.

It's a bit 'o' fun ffs.

How in the name of gepulon is it offensive, to any religion. How does it offend people's beliefs.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Good point.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RA1N1AC
    if they release Coke cans in the USA prominently featuring some of these symbols (or images connected to them?), and they don't receive a ton of complaints from christians, i'll be more willing to entertain the notion that the polar bear cans represent unfair discrimination against christmas:

Another good point.
    @ all
    Perhaps to please everyone the stores should not put up any "holiday" stuff until each holiday. Have the stores celebrate with all their customers on an individual basis. I'm sure no one would be offended by the walmart Islam displays or having the Jewish candles lit in a prominent display area. I believe Satanists have some good festivals...how about a "happy devil day" display. Of course that would mean that they were not just covering a Christian holiday .

It seems ironic to me to be offended by the use of "happy holidays" or "seasons greetings" then suggesting that nobody should be offended by "merry christmas".

To the removal of santa. Yes it is dumb to remove it but as he is not a religious symbol why would a Christian see it as an attack on their religion?.
    I don't see it as an attack on my religion... the removal of Santa isn't what bothers me... it's the fact that sooo many people will whine and moan about the stupidest of things... just to get what they want.

You can put any of those symbols above on a can of Coke.... and I'd still drink it... it wouldn't upset me. Who gives a crap what's on the can? I'm still drinking what's inside... maybe that's just what I think?

People actually take the time to complain about symbols on cans of soda... wow.

I can imagine it now....

"OMG!!!!111 They have Santa on this can of Coke! This is an outrage! I'm SO offended!! This is horrible... Santa on Coke? Hell... might as well put Hitler on Coke!! Or Stalin! It'd be just as offensive!! What was Coke thinking??!! Putting Santa on a can of Coke!! During Christmas!!! Oh no!!! Get me the Coke company! No wait! Get me the mayor! No! GET ME THE PRESIDENT!!!!"

@j2k4
    Last edited by Rip The Jacker; 11-23-2005 at 11:06 PM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip The Jacker
    Good point.
    Another good point.
    @ all
    Perhaps to please everyone the stores should not put up any "holiday" stuff until each holiday. Have the stores celebrate with all their customers on an individual basis. I'm sure no one would be offended by the walmart Islam displays or having the Jewish candles lit in a prominent display area. I believe Satanists have some good festivals...how about a "happy devil day" display. Of course that would mean that they were not just covering a Christian holiday .

It seems ironic to me to be offended by the use of "happy holidays" or "seasons greetings" then suggesting that nobody should be offended by "merry christmas".

To the removal of santa. Yes it is dumb to remove it but as he is not a religious symbol why would a Christian see it as an attack on their religion?.
    I don't see it as an attack on my religion... the removal of Santa isn't what bothers me... it's the fact that sooo many people will whine and moan about the stupidest of things... just to get what they want.

You can put any of those symbols above on a can of Coke.... and I'd still drink it... it wouldn't upset me. Who gives a crap what's on the can? I'm still drinking what's inside... maybe that's just what I think?

I can imagine it now....

"OMG!!!!111 They have Santa on this can of Coke! This is an outrage! I'm SO offended!! This is horrible... Santa on Coke? Hell... might as well put Hitler on Coke!! Or Stalin! It'd be just as offensive!! What was Coke thinking??!! Putting Santa on a can of Coke!! During Christmas!!! Oh no!!! Get me the Coke company! No wait! Get me the mayor! No! GET ME THE PRESIDENT!!!!"

@j2k4
    What's funny about it is

1. some these same folk celebrate Christmas.
    2. many Christians would get upset if there was a crescent and star on a can of Coke (if they knew what it stood for).
    3. how is a religious symbol offensive to atheists when they think it's fairytale mythology anyway?

Seems to me that they'd be offended over Zeus, Hansel and Gretel, The Boy Who Cried Wolf, and anything else "story" related.

They are almost evil or something.
    Last edited by Busyman; 11-23-2005 at 11:42 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    1. Yup.
    2. Yeah.... most would... I wouldn't... it's just a can of Soda...
    3. Eh... good point.

Some people just suck...

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god

I can imagine it now....

Are you sure your complaint is directed at the right target?
    After your quoted post decided to read the entire article you took the snippet from and nowhere does the coke company say it removed Santa because of "pressure" from non religious or other than Christian groups. In fact reading the article the only person that seems to think this is the author. Nowhere does it say anyone complained to coke about Santa being on the can, however the one complaint about symbols on cans of soda is very clear, and that come in the form of the author being offended that Santa is not on a can of soda .....seems like a hype over nothing

Christmas trees are going up all over America, except in some places where shadowy and mysterious forces seem to be fighting it.

Seriously. Take for example the Coca-Cola Santa. For 74 years he has been a fixture of Coca-Cola advertising during the weeks just before Christmas.

The Coke Santa is a classic. But as of 2005 he is no more on Coca-Cola packaging.

That means Santa has been evicted from cans, glass bottles and two liter plastic bottles. And he's been replaced by polar bears.

The polar bear has always been a Coke favorite, in conjunction with Santa. But now the bear is carrying on the Christmas tradition alone.

Now some of you may remember that I brought this up a week or so ago and reported that Coke corporate told me, "No, no way. Santa is still there."

But Monday I called one of those customer service hotlines posing as a plain old customer and the person there told me Santa is not on the 2005 packages, but he might return in 2006 on what would be his 75th anniversary with Coke.

In the meantime, Santa's only 2005 Christmas season appearance on behalf of Coke will be on point of sale signs and banners. But he's gone from the can or bottle.

So what is the real deal here?

It certainly does smell like Santa is being banished.

We're going to pursue this with Coke and see why Santa wasn't on cans or bottles.

But I suspect I know.

As I have written about in my book "The War on Christmas," Santa is being declared a religious symbol by a lot of secularists who are trying to push Christmas out of public displays or trying to suppress Christmas.

Santa has been banned in schools, libraries, public parks and city halls all across the country by people who say he symbolizes a Christian holiday — Christmas — therefore he is a Christian symbol and offends some non-Christians.

This will come as a surprise to most Christians who do not view Santa as a symbol of their religion. And to many Christians it is an example of how any hint of Christmas, a Christian holiday, has become forbidden in some places.

Evidently, one of those places might be a can of Coke.

That's My Word.
    Last edited by vidcc; 11-24-2005 at 12:17 AM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!

I can imagine it now....

Are you sure your complaint is directed at the right target?
    After your quoted post decided to read the entire article you took the snippet from and nowhere does the coke company say it removed Santa because of "pressure" from non religious or other than Christian groups. In fact reading the article the only person that seems to think this is the author. Nowhere does it say anyone complained to coke about Santa being on the can, however the one complaint about symbols on cans of soda is very clear, and that come in the form of the author being offended that Santa is not on a can of soda .....seems like a hype over nothing
    Why would there be a complaint about a regular can of Coke?

Nvm some people are stupid.
    Last edited by Busyman; 11-24-2005 at 12:18 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened

Christmas trees are going up all over America, except in some places where shadowy and mysterious forces seem to be fighting it.

Seriously. Take for example the Coca-Cola Santa. For 74 years he has been a fixture of Coca-Cola advertising during the weeks just before Christmas.

The Coke Santa is a classic. But as of 2005 he is no more on Coca-Cola packaging.

That means Santa has been evicted from cans, glass bottles and two liter plastic bottles. And he's been replaced by polar bears.

The polar bear has always been a Coke favorite, in conjunction with Santa. But now the bear is carrying on the Christmas tradition alone.

Now some of you may remember that I brought this up a week or so ago and reported that Coke corporate told me, "No, no way. Santa is still there."

But Monday I called one of those customer service hotlines posing as a plain old customer and the person there told me Santa is not on the 2005 packages, but he might return in 2006 on what would be his 75th anniversary with Coke.

In the meantime, Santa's only 2005 Christmas season appearance on behalf of Coke will be on point of sale signs and banners. But he's gone from the can or bottle.

So what is the real deal here?

It certainly does smell like Santa is being banished.

We're going to pursue this with Coke and see why Santa wasn't on cans or bottles.

But I suspect I know.

As I have written about in my book "The War on Christmas," Santa is being declared a religious symbol by a lot of secularists who are trying to push Christmas out of public displays or trying to suppress Christmas.

Santa has been banned in schools, libraries, public parks and city halls all across the country by people who say he symbolizes a Christian holiday — Christmas — therefore he is a Christian symbol and offends some non-Christians.

This will come as a surprise to most Christians who do not view Santa as a symbol of their religion. And to many Christians it is an example of how any hint of Christmas, a Christian holiday, has become forbidden in some places.

Evidently, one of those places might be a can of Coke.

That's My Word.
    So you watch FOXNEWS, eh?

I wonder if Gibson would mind if dear old Santa were merely relegated to the caffeine-free diet can?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    If we put up plastic Santa's on our lawn, will the police confiscate it?
    And, what does the real Santa have to say about this?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast