Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Boot-Out of range???

Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler

YAY comp finally up and running, will be OCing quite a bit and running 3dmark tests. Thanks for all your help guys FST is great
    Whoa there Nelly, back it down a notch.
    Before you start overclocking it why not make sure what she'll do at stock speeds?
    Use Everest to bench your RAM and see what options for memory timing your BIOS offers.
    After you have it set up properly then you can begin to creep up the speed scale.

You'll also need a real good idea of the temp signitures of your main heat producers- probably the CPU, GPU and northbridge.
    Pay close attention and be careful.
    Thx for advice and I will take extreme caution when OCing

Dammit still need a PCI wireless adapter

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Why do you need to overclock that anyway. It's a powerful PC as it is.

Will that computer be used for some special purpose that will even let you notice the speed difference?

Is it worth risking your nice new equipment?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Stop being practical VB

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Why do you need to overclock that anyway. It's a powerful PC as it is.
    Sheesh VB, you are such a granny sometimes.
    Of course he wants to clock it...what's the point of a big edick if you can't stroke it a bit?

Will that computer be used for some special purpose that will even let you notice the speed difference?
    Probably not, but would you buy a Ferarri and never once shift into 6th?*

Is it worth risking your nice new equipment?
    *Perhaps a bad analogy given your location. Would a Ferarri even pull sixth gear with the studded snow tires you'd have installed?
    Personally, I think the risk of fatal hardware damage is minimal (given intelligent precautions/monitoring), but the frustration level can be very high...it's not as easy as it sounds.
    I foresee one of two scenarios unfolding...
    -Seedler takes his time, documents results, proceeds logically and manages to OC with a semblance of stability, OR
    -Seedler ups the clock 600MHz in one fell swoop, crashes the PC and gives up. A twelve page bitch thread appears.

Either way, it all becomes interesting/amusing HW world fodder so let the games begin.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    *Perhaps a bad analogy given your location. Would a Ferarri even pull sixth gear with the studded snow tires you'd have installed?
    Studded lugs don't exist for a Ferrari. I know this because I have in fact installed tires on a Ferrari. They have a policy where we had to pick up the wheels at the Ferrari dealership, install the tires and return with the assembly. It prevented us from "testing" the car.

Btw. I have 'studless' winter tires installed on my car.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Okay, I OCed a bit yesterday and these are the results:

Before OC:
    Vcore 1.42v
    +3.3: 3.28v
    +5: 5.05v
    +12: 12.03v
    cpu temp: 36C
    MB temp: 35 C
    cpu fan: 3308 rpm
    chassis fan1: 2033 rpm
    chassis fan2: 2032 rpm
    chipset fan?<---wuts this?: 5273rpm

After OCing cpu to 2.4 ghz (increased 1 multiplier and some mhz) and Ocing the x800gto to 420 mhz core, 510 mhz memory:

Vcore 1.42v
    +3.3: 3.27v
    +5.0: 5.06v
    +12: 16.32v
    cpu temp: 39C
    MB temp: 37C
    cpu fan: 3584rpm
    chassis fan1 and 2: 2033rpm
    chipset fan: 5772rpm

I'm quite happy with the results, and yes, I do need OC because I play HL2 lost coast, with OC, i get a 6 fps increment at 1280 by 1024 to around 53 fps.

When I look at the results, I still think I can get better OC results as my cpu temp/fan speed didn't even break a sweat and the air blowing outa my case is still cold. On the other hand, like VB and clocker said, I really dont want to fry my parts, so any suggestions as to how far I should OC or just stop right here?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler
    On the other hand, like VB and clocker said, I really dont want to fry my parts, so any suggestions as to how far I should OC or just stop right here?
    I never said you would fry parts...in fact I think it's highly unlikely you could.

The main consideration is not the danger, rather it's the benefit/stress ratio.
    How much have you gained and at what price (quantified here as an increase in temp)?
    How far you go is completely dependent upon your hardware and cleverness.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12