Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Just saw the new 24 season commercial!!!

Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mulder
    yeah Jacks american and saving the world, but he's cool as fuck so it evens out

so even, one might refer to it as "steven"
    I prefer to pretend he is a kindly Canadian lending a helping hand.

Edit: KS was born in England
    Last edited by Cheese; 12-07-2005 at 07:07 PM.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    Quote Originally Posted by ahctlucabbuS

Instead of CNN they show Fox news during those news feeds.

The word I should have used is 'undertones'. It's more a feeling than something concrete, so feel free to brush this off as bullshit on my part.

Edit: The values, worldview, and the show's perception of America's rightful position in the world is what give rise to those feelings on my part. Enough said.
    That's just marketing bro, not Republican "overtones".

You can bet Fox pays for that.
    The first point about fox were meant as a joke, sort of.
    It does indicate which side of the fence the producers prefer though. [I doubt it's paid marketing, with the show airing on fox. If it is, it coincides well with their need for a news source other than CNN.]

@Busyman. It's the way I see it, and may not be purely republican. Though more prevalent amongst them for sure, IMO.

In any case, it's propganda - I mean - entertainment. To each their own indeed.

Edit: Cheese said it well.
    Last edited by ahctlucabbuS; 12-07-2005 at 08:13 PM.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Pure entertainment for me. To each his own.
    Exactly. Some people like to/can only watch a show or film on just one level (as pure entertainment) without thinking about what messages the writers are trying to convey, how successful they are at this, what hidden agendas there maybe, how they manipulate the viewers (both for the shows purpose and for any political message they may want to bring across).

I say watch the show just for entertainment unless you intend for example to be a scriptwriter or something and need to examine and learn elements of the craft.

Personally I can't help but tear any show I watch down to its component pieces, examing its "message", plot and character development, use of imagery and symbolism, etc. That's just the English student in me though...
    Oh I do something similar but I look at the story elements, music, sound effects, and acting quality so the people watching can be entertained...if I wanted to convey a political message, that can be thrown in as long as well placed.

Imagery, symbolism, and everything else is great but the show still may suck.

24 is pure visceral action done right...symbolism can suck ass.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by ahctlucabbuS
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo

That's just marketing bro, not Republican "overtones".

You can bet Fox pays for that.
    The first point about fox were meant as a joke, sort of.
    It does indicate which side of the fence the producers prefer though. [I doubt it's paid marketing, with the show airing on fox. If it is, it coincides well with their need for a news source other than CNN.]

@Busyman. It's the way I see it, and may not be purely republican. Though more prevalent amongst them for sure, IMO.

In any case, it's propganda - I mean - entertainment. To each their own indeed.

Edit: Cheese said it well.
    It's a Fox TV show and they used Fox News. Picture that.

I don't understand why they didn't use a competitor owned by another company.

It must be the Christian right spewing their views in an action series.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Exactly. Some people like to/can only watch a show or film on just one level (as pure entertainment) without thinking about what messages the writers are trying to convey, how successful they are at this, what hidden agendas there maybe, how they manipulate the viewers (both for the shows purpose and for any political message they may want to bring across).

I say watch the show just for entertainment unless you intend for example to be a scriptwriter or something and need to examine and learn elements of the craft.

Personally I can't help but tear any show I watch down to its component pieces, examing its "message", plot and character development, use of imagery and symbolism, etc. That's just the English student in me though...
    Oh I do something similar but I look at the story elements, music, sound effects, and acting quality so the people watching can be entertained...if I wanted to convey a political message, that can be thrown in as long as well placed.

That's why 24 was a good show because it caters to the simple-minded with lots of gunfights, car chases, handsome actors and cool music whilst providing strong character development, plot development and other elements of the storytelling craft to the more demanding audience.

6. Lounge   -   #36

That's why 24 was a good show because it caters to the simple-minded with lots of gunfights, car chases, handsome actors and cool music whilst providing strong character development, plot development and other elements of the storytelling craft to the more demanding audience.
    I don't know about all that shit. Shows with gunfights, car chases, cool music, blahblahblah, are a dime-a-dozen.

Character development and blahblah is shit if it's boring.

24 is an excellent mix.

The main draw to 24 is cliffhangers. A good cliffhanger has to be developed properly and create lots of tension. 24 does it beautifully.

Jack Bauer is not the deepest character in the world. He gets the job done even by skirting rules. I did like how he was essentially addicted to drugs in one season though.

Many folk get the gist of show without psychoanalyzing it. Hell even folks who like the show think many times it is far-fetcched but that doesn't stop them from liking it...well not everyone actually.

I remember a friend of mine who made good music but mine was like better.
    He took music theory. I did not.

Plot and character development is the skeleton but it in itself does not entertain. It's just the starting point.
    Last edited by Busyman; 12-08-2005 at 02:10 AM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    So I should have a show with the right mix of character/plot development, violence, cool music and loads of cliffhangers. Maybe a cliff-hanger at every ad-break?

Shame Prison Break beat me to it with its 56 cliffhangers an episode but don't even get me started on that show.

Mmm, so a lot of the popularity of the show (24) has to do with the cheap trick of the cliffhanger. Much like a soap-opera uses. Interesting.

I guess Lost uses a variation of this with its "onion layer mystery" thing it has going on. "Tune in next week when we reveal the answer to your questions with more questions".

The more I think about it the more I realise television sucks.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2

noot sky sports, football and aerobics oz style

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Proper Bo

And Soccer AM ftw.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Proper Bo
    And Soccer AM ftw.
    aerobics oz style>soccer AM

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast