Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm bored....

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I've heard the whispers.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    One thing always puzzles me about the people who use these phase change cooling systems. Why do they always operate with open cases?

There's a very simple way to prevent condensation - seal the case (with external cooling there's no reason not to) and fill it with dried gas, usually nitrogen. With a small silica gel pack for security there's no reason why condensation should be a problem.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    One thing always puzzles me about the people who use these phase change cooling systems. Why do they always operate with open cases?

There's a very simple way to prevent condensation - seal the case (with external cooling there's no reason not to) and fill it with dried gas, usually nitrogen. With a small silica gel pack for security there's no reason why condensation should be a problem.
    Easier said than done methinks.
    Realistically, you'd have to isolate the motherboard from everything else and concentrate on sealing it. Could be done, but a real PITA I'd guess.

How about running the board submerged totally...we've all seen the rigs in aquariums filled with various liquids (mineral oils, Flourinert?). They use a large volume because the liquid is also the coolant but in our case it wouldn't be so the enclosure could be relatively small.

Although I easily overcame the aversion to watercooling ( The very first thing most people say is "Eeeew, water INSIDE a computer?") even the next baby step up to TECs has halted me. That is where condensation enters into play and the substantially greater risk doesn't offset the ability to get sub-ambient IMO.

I am always reminded of the fundamental silliness of my cooling adventures when I see my Mom's eMachine. That poor little thing runs 12 hours a day crammed under a desk (and till just recently, Folding for team FST constantly).
    One fan, if I remember right.
    Never seen the low side of 55c, yet works perfectly after 5 years.

And here I sit, watching my temps like a hawk and obsessing over why Sprocket has heated all the way up to 24c- Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Ah, just got the tracking # for the BIX radiator and should get it on Thursday.
    Shipping info for the Innovatek stuff should come today also.

I know ya'll don't care but I'm still bored.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    ApacNTS's Avatar Helljumper
    actually i rather enjoy hearing how ur computer is progressing. should be great to actually see what u have been tinkering with as pics are rare and far between. thursday huh, well that's much better than a week i will say, im sure the anticapation is maddening. i do have a question if you would oblige, im contemplating going wireless with a mouse and keyboard, do u yourself think it's a better option? 2ndly(i know i said only one, cant help it) would u consider this LCD to be a decent monitor? i really dont think i'll go above 1064x768 in resolution as everything becomes microscopic by 1200x1000 or w/e it is. thanks as always.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    I've had two wireless mice (MS Intellimouse and Logitech MX-1000) and much prefer them to corded ones.
    My current keyboard is wired but that never seems to be an issue, after all it's not like you move the keyboard around,eh?

Dell makes nice displays.
    I'm lusting after a 2405 myself.

1280x 1024 might seem great now (that's what mine runs) but the extra resolution is nice for movies/games and I wish I had waited to get a better LCD.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    i need a 19 inch monitor for like 200 if you wnana help

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    The only way to get a half decent 19" for $200 is to buy one used.
    Try the [H]forum classifieds or eBay or something.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker

Dell makes nice displays.
    I'm lusting after a 2405 myself.
    I've been watching the prices of that monitor for a while now. Still about $400 over my monitor budget. I got this monitor myself and is much better than 1024x1280. I once thought it couldn't get better than 1024x1280 now I can't stand any resolutions under 1600x1200. In games I'm still at 1024x768 most of the time tho because of my shitty 6600gt which is soon going to be replaced by a 7800gtx.
    Last edited by silent h3ro; 12-14-2005 at 02:32 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    i wish i had a job

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast