Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How I stopped smoking

Quote Originally Posted by Proper Bo
    Quote Originally Posted by crysmileyguy!
    want a medal for shortening ur life?
    they say one takes off 5 minutes of life, so i'll just drive somewhere faster than normal to make up for it
    yea and hopefuly ull crash, feckin asswhipe
    cryco pig

2. Lounge   -   #12
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose
    Would you have found quitting a much harder thing to do if your wife smoked and had no interest in quitting?

How would you have dealt with that?
    I almost certainly couldn't have done it. Mrs JP had stopped previously, but had she still been smoking I think I would have been too weak to do it on my own.

Anyway, part of what I did involved not having any in the house. That way if I wanted I could have a small apple at home, then when I felt like a cigarette there were none available (unlike being with smoking chums). There isn't a shop in reasonable walking distance (well there is, but I'm a lazy bar steward, especially when drinking) so no acess = no smoking, even when one wants to.

I think that's the thing, there's no point in trying to stop but keeping some in the house. That's just preparing to fail.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    In an attempt to be more helpfull than my last, let me explain what happened when Mrs JP stopped.

I acted as if I had stopped as well. She knew I hadn't but everything was as if I had.

I didn't smoke in her company, I never smoked in the house anyway (for the kids). I didn't go outside for a cigarette when she was about. Basically I did nothing in her sight / smell which indicated that I was smoking.

I think that's the least anyone can do when their partner is trying to stop smoking.

I just thought, perhaps that helped me when I stopped myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12