Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's wrong here

Jimi...'s Avatar Mister Subtle
    What type of processor is the 3200 you bought with the board, Venice, Winchester?

You might need to update the bios for the later processors.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by spirex
    The only thing that I can find is that the motherboard states that pin 20 needs -5v and the power supply doesn't supply -5v.
    The winner?
    Hmm, maybe not...how would one create -5v on a PSU that didn't supply it?

OK BigCat,fess up.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by spirex
    The only thing that I can find is that the motherboard states that pin 20 needs -5v and the power supply doesn't supply -5v.
    That's spot on. I didn't notice your reply earlier, I got interrupted while I was making my last post. Have a cookie.

ATX power specifications from 1.3 onwards do not require -5V (although it can be supplied), but Biostar motherboards do not conform to the specification. Most 24-pin power supplies do not supply -5v. However, since many provide the opportunity to split off the extra 4-pins for backward compatibility they would also be in breach of the specifications in this respect.

Fortunately my supplier also has Tagan PSU's which DO conform to the earlier specification. They spotted this anomaly and swapped the PSU for me at no charge even though the Tagan PSU is more expensive. I said it is up and running on a 24-pin connector, I didn't say the same connector.
    Last edited by lynx; 01-22-2006 at 02:53 PM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12