Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What If... The PS3 cost $1000?

the idea that the controller is the reason why xbox sells poorly in japan... is fucken ludicrous.

the original xbox controller (with a huge circle in the middle) was approximately the same size as the dreamcast controller and was never even sold in japan. they got the smaller "S Type" controller from the very start, which is not much bigger than the playstation & gamecube controllers.

original xbox controller (USA) compared to dreamcast & ps2:

"S Type" (japan) compared to original (USA):
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 01-31-2006 at 05:45 PM.

2. Games   -   #32
    then why did the dreamcast do well in Japan if the controller was so big?

3. Games   -   #33
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I've never seen anyone blame the controller before.

What I have seen, tho', is ms claiming that the 360 doesn't sell well in japan, 'cos japanese people don't understand how hd-tv works or something.

IMO, they don't buy 'cos it's not that impressive, yet it is expensive.

4. Games   -   #34
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    wat's with this racial bullshit? asians don't have small hands. how do u think asians are so good with piano? u can't play piano with tiny hands.

the controller has nothing to do with it. japanese people don't buy the xbox because it's made be a rich white guy. just like a white company would never hire an asian guy if there's a white guy with the same credentials.

5. Games   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by abu_has_the_power
    wat's with this racial bullshit? asians don't have small hands. how do u think asians are so good with piano? u can't play piano with tiny hands.

the controller has nothing to do with it. japanese people don't buy the xbox because it's made be a rich white guy. just like a white company would never hire an asian guy if there's a white guy with the same credentials.
    Oh, so you are saying the japanese don't buy it 'cos they are racists then?

Finally something that makes sense.
    Last edited by Snee; 01-30-2006 at 10:22 PM.

6. Games   -   #36
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    japan doesn't buy american cars and it doesn't buy american electronics. it just doesn't. regardless of any racial issue. there's plenty of american stuff they do like, but not american cars or electronics. xbox sells poorly over there because it's not a japanese product, it's not a playstation, it doesn't have a ton of easy RPGs packed with hours & hours of FMV cut-scenes, and japan's favorite game types are not FPS and basketball.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 01-30-2006 at 10:37 PM.

7. Games   -   #37
    Aaron_T's Avatar A duck is watching.
    I'll be getting one of these as soon as the price drops, as people have already said i might aswell use my money to do up my PC for the moment, coz its shit
    Those who dont learn from the past are doomed to repeat It.

8. Games   -   #38
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RA1N1AC
    japan doesn't buy american cars and it doesn't buy american electronics. it just doesn't. regardless of any racial issue. there's plenty of american stuff they do like, but not american cars or electronics. xbox sells poorly over there because it's not a japanese product, it's not a playstation, it doesn't have a ton of easy RPGs packed with hours & hours of FMV cut-scenes, and japan's favorite game types are not FPS and basketball.
    Great point there. Games like Grand theft auto 3, and metal gear solid 2 (i know its japanese), aren't popular in japan, compared to rpg games that sell well over there, like ico for example.

BTW, most American cars suck anyway...

And btw Abu, no , it isnt racist to say alot (not all) of asians have small hands compared to other races. I once read an article a few years ago in a news magazine, stating that the Xbox controller was too big for the hands of japanese people, which is one of the main reasons for lack of sales there.

Quote Originally Posted by Death_Falcon
    then why did the dreamcast do well in Japan if the controller was so big?
    If you had common sense, you'd realize that the joy stick is closer to the perimeter of the controller. same with the colored buttons.
    Last edited by Formula1; 01-30-2006 at 10:52 PM.

9. Games   -   #39
    I know there are cultural differences and that tastes vary, and there's nothing wrong with that, tho' someone at ms is prolly having a hissy fit about it.

The thing is tho', that abu said it was because the game was made by a rich white guy, which is something entirely different. And that's ultimately what I reacted to.

I don't think it has to do with where it comes from, but rather how it's marketed, and what it is. It really isn't that impressive, yet it is made out to be a revolution. The leap from snes to psx, was revolutionary, this isn't.

Yet it costs a lot of money. Others have said that only sheep with money (or whatever) would buy a playstation 3 at the suggested price. I reckon that's equally, or perhaps more so true about people who buy the xbox 360.

In fact, I don't particularily like recent american cars either, much like the japanese don't. Not because of where they were made, but because of how they were made, dodgy plastic in the interior and odd stuff like it. Not to mention those huge SUVs not many people living in a civilised area actually need.

It's a difference in marketing and gaming philosophies, and nothing racial at all, IMO.

10. Games   -   #40
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    the idea that the controller is the reason why xbox sells poorly in japan... is fucken ludicrous.

the original xbox controller (with a huge circle in the middle) was approximately the same size as the dreamcast controller and was never even sold in japan. they got the smaller "S Type" controller from the very start, which is not much bigger than the playstation & gamecube controllers.

original xbox controller (USA) compared to dreamcast & ps2:

"S Type" (japan) compared to original (USA):

You do know I was only joking

but apperently its half true the other reason is SONY are asian micro$oft are american and ym theory is who would want to buy anything Micro$oft?
    Last edited by Adster; 01-31-2006 at 01:41 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast