Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: jailed for denying the holocaust

I think that we are not getting the full story.

"I think that holocaust was a vast conspiracy" is an opinion (although uninformed), and not a jailable offense.

"The holocaust is a lie by the Jews, who must be driven into the sea" is an opinion which encites violence and is therefore illegal.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    I don't understand what you mean there.
    i think i forgot half way through typing.

well, regardless of facts and if people take offence, the law shouldn't get involved in peoples opinions
    People can have whatever opinion they want, it's when they express those opinion and effect other people's lives that the law takes an interest.

Is a rally in the middle of London, where the speakers express their opinion that all green people are useless cunts and should be thrown out of the country OK.

I for one want the law to intervene.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes

"I think that holocaust was a vast conspiracy" is an opinion (although uninformed), and not a jailable offense.

"The holocaust is a lie by the Jews, who must be driven into the sea" is an opinion which encites violence and is therefore illegal.
    You are to be congratulated on your knowledge of Austrian law, I am well impressed.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    i think i forgot half way through typing.

well, regardless of facts and if people take offence, the law shouldn't get involved in peoples opinions
    People can have whatever opinion they want, it's when they express those opinion and effect other people's lives that the law takes an interest.

Is a rally in the middle of London, where the speakers express their opinion that all green people are useless cunts and should be thrown out of the country OK.

I for one want the law to intervene.
    right.

One is an opinion. fine. They are cunts

The second is an encitement to violence. They should be thrown out. Wrong.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25

You are to be congratulated on your knowledge of Austrian law, I am well impressed.
    Austrian law is not irrelvant.

We must decide whether ones opinion that the holocaustis a fraud is justifiable to deem jail time, versus freedom of speech.

That is an "ends versus the means" case, which you have stated is completely wrong.

The fulcrum is whether the opinion is then promoted as a reason for violence.

Jailtime should NEVER be given for an opinion, but can be warranted because it encourages people to act violently against others.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1

I'm really not sure that that's right. As far as I can tell, it is the opinion that is the crime, rather than any violence or hatred it may incite.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Agreed, Austrian law is not irrelevant, as that's where he was convicted and sentenced.
    Last edited by JPaul; 02-21-2006 at 12:21 AM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillian

I'm really not sure that that's right. As far as I can tell, it is the opinion that is the crime, rather than any violence or hatred it may incite.
    As I understand it, it's publicly denying the holocaust which is the offence.

So you are both wrong, but hobbes is wronger than you.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30

I think you'll find it is, as that's where he was convicted and sentenced.
    Well, the rule is moronic.

Can there be any disagreemnet to that?

Should I be jailed when I say that the US moon landing was a government hoax.

No, that is just my idiotic opinion.

Everone has the right to be an idioit. Being an idiot should not make one a criminal.

We are discussing the merit of the law. The law is shit if an uniformed opinion is a jailable offense.

The laws has merit if, by his expressed opinion, he is enciting harm to others.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast