Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anti Nintendo

I remember back in the 90s twords the end.I spent it sitting on a truck looking at the stars untill midnight.
    wasnt fun btw.

2. Games   -   #22
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    The anti-nintendo stuff SEGA did would have been mainly during the SNES-MegaDrive era and related to those consoles, I thought, but then I found this.

When first launched in America, a memorable TV advertising campaign was used to promote the system as superior to the Game Boy. One commercial featured a dog looking back and forth at both portables, with a narrator saying, "If you were colorblind and had an IQ of less than twelve, then you wouldn't care which portable you had. Of course, you wouldn't care if you drank from the toilet, either." An advertisement was shown in black and white, with players milling about aimlessly in a dark void, playing Game Boys. A lone rebel appears with a Game Gear, cueing the narrator's comment of "The Sega Game Gear: Separates the men from the boys." Another showed a gamer hitting himself in the head with a rigid, dead squirrel in order to see color on his Game Boy. When the Game Boy began to appear in different colors, Sega's ad ridiculed it by showing the Game Boy disguised in loaves of bread. Another ad from that era featured a professor explaining that though the Game Boy now was available in bright colors, the graphics were still monochrome, and therefore Game Gear was still superior. Although Sega was rather proud of these original marketing campaigns, it may have backfired since many gamers - loyal to their existing Nintendo handhelds - saw the ads as offensive, condescending or even patronising. Negative advertising may have been also been detrimental since it implied that the Game Gear was in second place (as indeed it was).

3. Games   -   #23
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    I wish my mega drive still worked

4. Games   -   #24
    Last edited by SingaBoiy; 03-04-2006 at 03:39 AM.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

5. Games   -   #25
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by VANDERLEI
    You could try an emulator.

6. Games   -   #26
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    its definatly not the same sensation

7. Games   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by VANDERLEI
    You could try an emulator.
    emulator is cool but not quite the same satisfaction as playing on a console, you could buy a mega drive for about a tenner. alternatavly i've heard you can put a megadrive emulator on your dreamcast without any mods!? havent tryed it but it sounds pretty easy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123