Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How safe are we.

Filliz's Avatar ______________
    I think a lot of usnet providers even offer https and nttps connections to the servers so there is no way in finding out what you've been downloading.
    Easynews offers this anyway.

hmm...asspie

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    ok i got a good picture now but one other thing puzzles me.
    Regardless of what we download - from where etc our ISP`s still know what exactly we have grabbed and how much dont they ?
    So theres always a record of what we been doing somewhere along the lines

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I think the biggest thing you are all over looking is the fact that nothing is as anonymous as you all seem to think you are. Everytime you download something you are putting yourself at risk. I know most people think that they will never be caught, but the truth is, everything you download is logged at some point and time, so everything you do is known.

Usenet is however safer in the aspect that you are not sharing your IP with a pool of peers, but it is logged at both the usenet server and your ISP. So rather than being caught in a swarn like bittorrent does, you still have to worry about either your ISP, or the usenet server being subpeona'd for a list of IP addy's.

Just thought that should be known...

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    Though on what basis would they ask for a list of those that grab from Usenet. None that I could think of. They cant see you since theres nothing inbetween you and the server. This is the biggest difference between Usenet and other apps. There is nowhere for them to watch anything unless they back door the server which is unlikely. Cant imaine a random request for a list of all who grabbed something on a server be it your cable or a pay server. Nor can I imagine any business allowing this either as it could crush them in the public view...

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    The probabilty of it happening is almost nil, but I just wanted people to understand that filesharing in general is risky. Alot of people seem to think that they are anonymous if they take certain precautions. Which Usenet is safer in that aspect, but there could still be possible security risks as mentioned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12