Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: House Republicans defy Bush on ports deal

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Is there a gulf developing between Bush and his party.

couldn't resist the pun...

sorry!
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    Is there a gulf developing between Bush and his party.

couldn't resist the pun...

sorry!

Yeah as approval ratings go down for Bush, the party will want to distance itself from the bullshit that's been boiling over the years. I mean a new Republican has to get elected President, ffs.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    I am not surprised.

Anyone know the democrats take on this or was this strictly partisan?
    The dem leadership has actually said they are still deciding what their reaction should be; I'm sure you can look out any of several windows in your six-sided domicile (no wonder you are so conflicted, ideologically) with a lens and see every democrat finger in metro D.C. raised to test the political winds.
    I'm sure you actually believe this.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc

The dem leadership has actually said they are still deciding what their reaction should be; I'm sure you can look out any of several windows in your six-sided domicile (no wonder you are so conflicted, ideologically) with a lens and see every democrat finger in metro D.C. raised to test the political winds.
    I'm sure you actually believe this.
    He's said several times he lives in a six-sided house; he could be lying, I suppose.

Do I literally think the dems are standing on the capitol steps, fingers moist and upraised?

Not literally, no.

Figuratively?

No doubt about it.

Each Republican is rushing to any available press to insist their individual efforts brought about the Dubai withdrawal.

The official dem statement as of about 1 pm EST was as I have described it; they literally said they were deciding what their official stance would be.

This was reported coincidentally with one by Frist's office that he applied pressure last night calling for the Dubai cohort to withdraw, which pressure bore fruit today.

Other Republicans were making similar noises, but the status as "breaking news" precluded in-depth coverage of the entire litany.

In light of the Republican rush, it strikes me as hilariously odd for the Dems to release that particular statement, even in some misbegotten nod to party loyalty.

Apparently they have no minds of their own...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Truly amazing viewpoint.
    Last edited by vidcc; 03-09-2006 at 11:38 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Truely amazing viewpoint
    It is a commentary on the news as reported by Fox, MSNBC and CNN.

The news is the news; what do you find so amazing about my viewpoint?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Truely amazing viewpoint

I guess the "mission accomplished" lesson has been forgotten on the right

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Schumer
    "This is obviously a promising development, but the devil's in the details,"
    seems a reasonable reaction to me

btw. who blocked the vote in the senate? and who was it shouting loudest to get it put up for a vote?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    I am not surprised.

Anyone know the democrats take on this or was this strictly partisan?
    Eh? I have a gun in 6 corners of the house, not a six-sided house.

Ideologically, I can't be pigeon-holed like you.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19

I guess the "mission accomplished" lesson has been forgotten on the right

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Schumer
    "This is obviously a promising development, but the devil's in the details,"
    seems a reasonable reaction to me

btw. who blocked the vote in the senate? and who was it shouting loudest to get it put up for a vote?
    Your Schumer quote is not at all a statement of stance, nor would I expect it to be, at such an early juncture.

My point was that it seemed foolish to even bother with a statement to the effect of, "We are formulating our response" when such could normally assumed to have been the case.

It is as if they'd made a special effort to remind us that events should be expected to proceed as they always do in politics.

Let us say the it warranted nothing apart from a very profound...yawn, which I found humorous.

I guess I can't expect you to see it the same way, given your allegiances.

The Republicans are exhibiting no tendencies alien to the political genus.

Dogs lick themselves, too, but society and the media don't often note the fact.

As for Bush, he handled this with all the aplomb he demonstrated with Hurricane Katrina.

Now, I'll sit back and see how you manage to twist my extraordinarily non-partisan post into something....else.

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Well then, I am wondering what exactly your original point is

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast