Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Veal and the like.

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempestv
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Do you have a farm / smallholding. I'm interested to find out what people within the farming industry think of veal production.
    my parents have twenty acres and about 6 cows that calve every year. we usually keep the steers about two years, then butcher one steer, which we sell 3/4 of and keep a quarter beef. the other steers get sold at auction where they would generally end up in stock yards in nebraska to get fattened more on growth hormones and corn before being slaughtered. I am not really "in" the the farming industry- we just started raising cows because we wanted one a year to butcher, but over time by keeping the heifers we have kinda built up a herd, so we might as well sell the extra steers. my college tuition this semester is being payed by selling a couple steers. all I can tell you about veal is that when I think of a nice steak, the color white doesn't come to mind.
    That's a cool idea. You get meat you know exactly how it was reared, the animals can live a "free range" natural life and it pays for your education.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    plus the meat tastes better IMO
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Indeed another very good point. You can buy meat reared that way in the UK. However it is understandably a lot more expensive than factory farmed. The same goes for chicken, pork, eggs etc.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Indeed another very good point. You can buy meat reared that way in the UK. However it is understandably a lot more expensive than factory farmed. The same goes for chicken, pork, eggs etc.
    ya, we raise chickens for meat and eggs, along with pork, plus we know some organic farmers that we barter with for turkey, milk, cheese, ect. all in the name of better food.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    ya, we raise chickens for meat and eggs, along with pork, plus we know some organic farmers that we barter with for turkey, milk, cheese, ect. all in the name of better food.
    Is this as as sideline as opposed to main income for your parents.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    What's the difference? Cattle are bred to be slaughtered and used as sustenance. What's the difference if they're killed young or old?

yo

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    What's the difference? Cattle are bred to be slaughtered and used as sustenance. What's the difference if they're killed young or old?
    It's not just about the age, it's about how they are treated just to give meat of a certain flavour / texture.

Click the link provided earlier if you don't know how veal is made.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    for me anyways, when cattle are kept in the veal pens it is rediculessly unhealty, which means that they need considerably more antibotics and other chemicals to stay alive. all those chemicals get passed on to you when you eat the meat.

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Is this as as sideline as opposed to main income for your parents.
    nope, all in the name of better food
    my dad is a Carpendar and my mom is a Research Scientist for the Montana Agricultural Research Center.

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Carcinus's Avatar Procrastinator

We have a duty of care to minimise suffering in animals we are going to eat and do not need to inflict unnecessary pain on them. Rearing animals well. feeding them decent food, giving them a good life and a humane death, fulfills this duty of care, and makes for better meat.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast