Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it actually worthwhile building your own PC any more.

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    There are several downsides to buying a pre-built PC that far outweigh the money issue.
    The use of proprietary parts (think Dell/eMachines PSUs) makes replacement/upgrading difficult if not impossible.
    You don't get an "install" version of the OS. Most (if not all) manufacturers now include an image of your install (and many appropriate a partition on the HDD to store it). These images are preloaded with all sorts of useless advertising crap and "trial versions" of programs you wouldn't want anyway (think AOL).

Contrary to popular belief, most manufactered PCs carry only a 60 day warranty- anything more must be purchased. Because they are using "OEM" parts, you could be SOL if anything breaks after two months...even a part like the CPU which normally comes with a 1 or 3 year guarantee, is limited to the 60 day period. Could be expensive if something big goes...

Manufacturer software support is notoriously crappy.
    Your motherboard may be physically capable of using a dual-core processor but if Dell doesn't see fit to release a BIOS flash to support it, well, too bad.

All in all, if you are capable of building your own PC (and most folks are) you should do it.
    Assuming you pick the right combination of parts (which is the hard part of the whole deal anyway) the chances of getting exactly what you want (and being able to deal with it for a few years) are much higher.

But you knew I'd say that, didn't you?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Lounge   -   #12
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    ^^ 100% True

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    There are several downsides to buying a pre-built PC that far outweigh the money issue.
    The use of proprietary parts (think Dell/eMachines PSUs) makes replacement/upgrading difficult if not impossible.
    You don't get an "install" version of the OS. Most (if not all) manufacturers now include an image of your install (and many appropriate a partition on the HDD to store it). These images are preloaded with all sorts of useless advertising crap and "trial versions" of programs you wouldn't want anyway (think AOL).

Contrary to popular belief, most manufactered PCs carry only a 60 day warranty- anything more must be purchased. Because they are using "OEM" parts, you could be SOL if anything breaks after two months...even a part like the CPU which normally comes with a 1 or 3 year guarantee, is limited to the 60 day period. Could be expensive if something big goes...

Your motherboard may be physically capable of using a dual-core processor but if Dell doesn't see fit to release a BIOS flash to support it, well, too bad.

All in all, if you are capable of building your own PC (and most folks are) you should do it.
    Assuming you pick the right combination of parts (which is the hard part of the whole deal anyway) the chances of getting exactly what you want (and being able to deal with it for a few years) are much higher.

of course, but I also agree. unless you are moding something on the computer, all the parts are snap together, and most of the time, the only tool needed is a #2 philips screwdriver. manufactures have done a good job making it very difficult to put it together wrong. agreed, the hardest part is choosing parts that give the best performance at your particular budget and use and soforth, and making sure that you have all the bits that you need. I could easly see a noob forgeting to purchase thermal greese, sata/ide cables, case with out a power supply and no other powersupply, little stuff like that, but without it you are going to have a bad experence. note to noobs- if you know anyone that knows how to build a computer, get them to help you build one rather than buy prebuilt. there are some little things that can be good to learn from someone that knows what they are doing, and once you have seen one go together start to finish, you shouldn't have any trouble putting one together yourself in the future, plus you will end up with a better computer, generally for cheaper than prebuilt. if you really don't feel up to it, go to a custom shop like where clocker works- I don't know how the prices match up (higher than building it yourself I imagion, because you also pay to have the thing assembled), but you will end up with a first rate computer that will be upgradable for longer than most prebuilt machines.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Buying Pre-built is for basic users...Buying Separate Parts to Construct a computer is for advanced users. It's your choice.

Basic users get a system that works, but stays the same...if not slightly upgraded once in awhile.
    Advanced users get a system that's fully customizable, having to only pay for certain parts in the future. Saves money in the long run, rather than paying $600-$1,800 for a new system every-time the current one become "outdated". Advanced users require advanced knowledge in computer hardware to succeed.

I say it's worthwhile if you want a very powerful system. Otherwise, you can still get a "decent" system for less than $600.
    Now I believe you can still save money at building a top of the line system by using decent cooling and merely overclocking somewhat slower parts to run the same. Extreme, but still cheaper. $100 cooling, instead of $300-400 more for that faster CPU, RAM and GFX card.

There are some parts you should "never" overclock though, such as the DVD/CD Rom Drive. Believe it or not, I've seen this in action and it's completely possibly to overclock your drive's speed, but it's VERY Dangerous. If it blows, the whole system could be toast. The one I saw shut down the computer and produced a very loud "POP". The whole room filled with a terrible burning smell.
    Last edited by Wolfmight; 03-23-2006 at 04:26 AM.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillian
    If you just want a cheap PC to use internet and email, a store-bought machine can be cheap and suitable.

If you want a gaming PC or just a quality all round system, DIY is the only way to go unless you've got money to burn.
    Not really...but it's the prefered way for me.

Peace bd

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Is it still worthwhile building yourself? Hell yes.

A friend has just convinced his mate to buy Dell; now they both have their high-end gaming wotsits.
    Said friend asked me on Monday to tell his mate what I thought of Dell machines cos he knows I think they're worthless. This guy told me it's gotta be good as it's got an nVidia 7800GT inside, so I told him that in this case the rest of the system won't be able to keep up with it!

Put it this way:
    £50 for an equivalent mobo
    £150 for an equivalent CPU
    £120 for 2 gig o RAM
    £100 for a 300GB HDD
    £5 for a floppy drive
    £30 for a DVDRW
    £20 for a WiFi card
    £150 for a 17" FST
    £5 for a modem
    £25 for an equivalent sound card
    £50 for equivalent speakers
    £20 for keyboard & mouse of Dell quality
    £50 for a smart looking case to throw it in
    £20 for a PSU to cope

That's about £700 short of what he paid, which will buy an even better gfx card. Shit, I musta left someting out, then.
    Last edited by Chewie; 03-23-2006 at 04:39 AM.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

7. Lounge   -   #17
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker

Excellent post...If someone does decide to buy a pre-built-
    (techtards or the lazy) go with one of the smaller boutique
    companys. I am a big fan of ABS and Cyber Power.

Peace bd

8. Lounge   -   #18
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK
    £20 for a PSU
    What the hell?

That's about $35 USD.
    Try at least doubling that figure. At least. Maybe tripling it.

Anyone who attempts to put a PC together with a $35 PSU should be shot. Fact. Law.
    Last edited by fkdup74; 03-23-2006 at 05:05 AM.
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I think its better to find a local shop ,then you can tweak your own purchase . Add & remove what ever least you have a choice and much cheaper than building your own . Do it in steps if you have to ,change to better PSU or faster ram when you can. Upgrade the Vid card at your leisure etc.

Start with a good mobo work from there !
    Last edited by peat moss; 03-23-2006 at 05:33 AM.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by fkdup74
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK
    £20 for a PSU
    What the hell?

That's about $35 USD.
    Try at least doubling that figure. At least. Maybe tripling it.

Anyone who attempts to put a PC together with a $35 PSU should be shot. Fact. Law.
    I think he means that is what the PSU that dell uses is worth. he is breaking down the cost of the parts on the computer to figure out how much the computer is really worth. in other words, the people puting in a 35$power supply is dell (they charge way more than $35 for it) and therefore, I would have to agree with your plan of capital punishment.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast