Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: The U.S. has been touted as the "Greatest Country on Earth"...

manker's Avatar effendi
    I'd wonder why the French say 'Vive le Difference!' too, unless they weren't very good with words. Traditionally it's 'Vive la Difference' and refers to how much men and women differ.

At least that's my understanding.

I don't think it has any relevance in this thread.

Btw, who, exactly, is going to allay fears and correct misapprehensions about the US.

Busyman?
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    I'd wonder why the French say 'Vive le Difference!' too, unless they weren't very good with words. Traditionally it's 'Vive la Difference' and refers to how much men and women differ.

I beg your forebearance; it must be my latent aversion to Gaullist stuff.

Could be.

Or not.

Btw, who, exactly, is going to allay fears and correct misapprehensions about the US.

Busyman?
    He might, if he thought you were actually listening.

Perhaps not.

Tell us what you like about Wales, and how it is superior because it produced Tom Jones.

I'd like to know how you abide that Prince World Cup...whatzizname...Charles?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    The U.S. is a representative republic with a capitalist economy.

As one who denounces any mixing of Christianity with government, and is not himself a believer, you have no credibility or entree to speak of christian "selfishness".
    you asked a question and I responded..It was an opinion based on observation, you cannot dismiss it because I am not a christian

I became an atheist, I was once a christian. Don't flatter youself, I don't reject "any mixing of Christianity with government" I denounce mixing religion with government. Even then I don't denounce religious people in government, I denounce religious people in government that think their religious beliefs should trump the constitution. Your attack line is tiresome. Would you say that someone that converted to christianity from atheism had no insight into atheism? would you deny that christ taught to love his fellow man? Was jesus a capitalist that would think it evil for society to put the well being of people over wealth of individuals?

this is a response and not an attempt to steer away from the subject

Given that-

Would you prefer to pay more taxes?
    Of course not, I would prefer the taxes we pay where spent wisely in worthwhile areas and we got value for money
    .53 of every dollar the government here collects goes to entitlements, .09 to debt service, and about .21 goes to defense.

The remaining .17 could be defined as discretionary, or subject to budgetary whim.
    and ? ...so what?
    We work more than most other "civilized" countries already.

That is a subjective opinion, not proven fact

Apart from all that, I think you're attempting to make this thread into something I hadn't intended.

I do find mself wondering what shape opinions in here would take if/when a Democrat sits in the White House.
    I'm not trying to shape anything, merely wondering if you are mistaking complaints about the way the country is heading politically and possibly culturally with hating the usa, if you yourself are happy with everything why do you complain about things. Some have more to object to than others. No doubt the tables will turn again so to speak.

Our culture (that which we may be granted to possess, anyway) is belittled as shallow and cheap, and it's influence around the world is loathed even by those who enjoy it.

I think that (generally speaking) this is a universal issue. Many americans reject the culture of others just as others reject ours. We have an attitude of "if you come here you must accept our way of life and not expect us to accept yours, if you don't like it f. off somewhere else"

I agree and regret that the only culture we've managed to export is of the sort meant to generate profit.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!

Busyman?
    Nah. I would think it pretty pathetic that some foreigner would generalize the populace of the third largest country in world as being the same...oh wait.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    The native Americans, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone Park, the great lakes..

..Hollywood, McDonalds, KFC mmmm.. and then you have CIA, DRM, RIAA

erm... well yes, I love the USA ..it's the inhabitants, that's the problem... but for the rest

English..living in the Netherlands

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman

Busyman?
    Nah. I would think it pretty pathetic that some foreigner would generalize the populace of the third largest country in world as being the same...oh wait.
    Indeed, it would be pretty pathetic.

Which is why I questioned the validity of you giving details of your lifestyle in a thread about America in general.

'Is America great?'

'Well, Busyman is going on a cruise'.

I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    manker's Avatar effendi

I beg your forebearance; it must be my latent aversion to Gaullist stuff.

Could be.

Or not.

Busyman?
    He might, if he thought you were actually listening.

Perhaps not.

Tell us what you like about Wales, and how it is superior because it produced Tom Jones.

I'd like to know how you abide that Prince World Cup...whatzizname...Charles?
    The World Cup doesn't actually have any handles, but I admire your persistence

Maybe you meant a different World Cup, who knows.

Anyway. I suppose my disdain for this thread is showing. The reason being is because you, the thread starter, show a complete and utter contempt for all things French. I remember I called you a Francophobe a while back. That particular nation is a favourite of mine, I absolutely adore the culture and the people, I go there as often as I can.

I think it's a bit rich for you to make a thread to correct our collective misunderstandings and preconceptions about the US while you hold prejudices about France and seem quite content in your position that France, basically, sucks.

Incidentally, I don't harbour any malice toward the US as a nation, I think my first post in the thread shows that.

It has its good points and its bad points. Much like anywhere else

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    Tweedy old crow
    My boyfriend used to be in the RAF, left after 9 years of service and then worked for IBM.
    He was in the States both as a member of the military and a member of the public and he doesn't seem to be too enthusiastic about either of them.
    He likes Jamaice though.

( He would have typed this himself but he doesn't trust the interweb and also thinks it's for geeks )

9. The Drawing Room   -   #49
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened

You mean those things on either side of Charles' head aren't handles?

Anyway. I suppose my disdain for this thread is showing. The reason being is because you, the thread starter, show a complete and utter contempt for all things French. I remember I called you a Francophobe a while back. That particular nation is a favourite of mine, I absolutely adore the culture and the people, I go there as often as I can.

I think it's a bit rich for you to make a thread to correct our collective misunderstandings and preconceptions about the US while you hold prejudices about France and seem quite content in your position that France, basically, sucks.

G.K. Chesterton once said something to the effect of "Real Americans are fine; it's the IDEAL American causing the problems."

I rather think the same of France.

In any case, you overstate.

Incidentally, I don't harbour any malice toward the US as a nation, I think my first post in the thread shows that.

It has its good points and its bad points. Much like anywhere else [/QUOTE]

Yes.

Let's hear about Wales.

Perhaps we might persuade Guillaume to offer up on France, too.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #50
    manker's Avatar effendi

You mean those things on either side of Charles' head aren't handles?

G.K. Chesterton once said something to the effect of "Real Americans are fine; it's the IDEAL American causing the problems."

I rather think the same of France.

In any case, you overstate.

It has its good points and its bad points. Much like anywhere else
    Yes.

Let's hear about Wales.

Perhaps we might persuade Guillaume to offer up on France, too.
    Rather than overstating, I thought I was quite frugal with my words, actually.

If I was to talk about the reality of living in Wales, I don't think the forum could stand it. For a start the revelation that I've never shagged a sheep would render lynx and Rat Faced completely retortless when conversing with me.

I'm not that cruel, bless 'em

I'm already happy with the way people on this forum view Wales and to 'big it up' isn't my style.

I could be wrong but I don't think it's Gurahl's, either.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast