Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What books do you own?

manker's Avatar effendi
    I've never been one for seeking autographs of famous people, even as a kid - but then I've never been very sentimental.

I think the book, and the wisdom it can potentially impart, is a much more desirable possession than the atramental fingerprint of its author.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    I've never been one for seeking autographs of famous people, even as a kid - but then I've never been very sentimental.

I think the book, and the wisdom it can potentially impart, is a much more desirable possession than the atramental fingerprint of its author.
    Actually, I agree wholeheartedly.

The Nugent-autographed Limbaugh book was a lark-Nugent has some property in my area and spent quite a bit of time here about 13-14 years ago; my Dad had given me Limbaugh's book, and I'd just finished it when my clerk walked through the door with Ted and a local fellow in tow.

Nugent was in town to appear at a White Tails Unlimited banquet (White Tails is an organization concerned with hunting and animal husbandry) and I got him to inscribe the Limbaugh book to my Dad before I returned it.

My Dad had recently become aware of him owing to his having appeared on Limbaugh's radio show to discuss PETA only a few days prior.

Anyway, my Dad got a kick out of it.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Chip Monk's Avatar Darth Monk Like.
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Alright.

I own a copy of Rush Limbaugh's book The Way Things Ought To Be.

It has been autographed by Ted Nugent.

Fact.
    I'd be more impressed if you had a Ted Nugget album signed by Rush Lambow.
    You do not need to see my I.D.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Chip Monk's Avatar Darth Monk Like.

It's a missus CM thing, she likes things like that.
    You do not need to see my I.D.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I have an autograph book with the autograph of Tom Jones in (along with various members of my own family who are not that famous). However, "Tom Jones" looked a lot like my father now I think about it and the autograph book was from a Pontins holiday camp.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    ...the atramental fingerprint of its author.
    BTW-It just occurred to me that this descriptive would be more apropos of a criminal type, whose signature would not (ordinarily) be sought (and in any case, not by me) as a souvenir.

Nice word, though, even in such unfortunate proximity.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #27
    manker's Avatar effendi
    ...the atramental fingerprint of its author.
    BTW-It just occurred to me that this descriptive would be more apropos of a criminal type, whose signature would not (ordinarily) be sought (and in any case, not by me) as a souvenir.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what we in the trade call a high-end rod.

To your credit too, sir. I didn't think you dabbled.

You almost had me too - my mind was elsewhere, taken with your earlier mention of animal husbandry
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Is this the book thread?

I wont type all my books
    just what i like

DNA
    Asimov
    Brown
    LEM
    Plenzdorf
    Orwell
    Prattchett
    and my favourite ebooks:
    fruehling
    Manie
    digital fortress
    welches kueken kam zuerst

9. Lounge   -   #29

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what we in the trade call a high-end rod.

To your credit too, sir. I didn't think you dabbled.

I didn't think so either, but I defer to your expertise.

I'll try to be more aware of the subtle shadings which indicate a true rod, as opposed to those which accrue to mere irony.

Practice may not make perfect, but I do aspire.

You almost had me too - my mind was elsewhere, taken with your earlier mention of animal husbandry
    I appreciate the honest admission-you are so much more adept these days; genuinely difficult to slide one by you.

-Mark Twain

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Last book I read was The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell. It's an interesting read. Make sure to pick it up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast