Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is my TV HDTV ready?

Poster
    Ok, well, finally; if I watched standard broadcast TV on an HDTV widescreen, would the picture have black bars at the left and right, or would the TV somehow stretch the 4:3 picture?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    lynx's Avatar .
    It depends on the tv. Some will give you black bars, others will stretch the picture. AFAIK all plasma screens will stretch the picture since they don't work well with areas that are static for long periods (such as the side bars).

But very often they don't stretch the picture uniformly. You'll often find that the further you get from the centre line the more the picture is stretched. This occasionally gives some very strange effects, but if it is combined with pan-scan technology then the most stretching occurs at the points furthest from the action, so you don't notice the effect too much.

BTW, this is true for any widescreen tv, not just HDTV.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    If you can get a good telivision then you can either stretch it or put it in standard 4:3 picture. The CRT I'm returning to newegg had 4 widescreen zoom options and the option to have 4:3 mode (with gray bars ). Luckily I'm getting a Philips LCD which supposedly has 7 widescreen options and a 4:3 option which all widescreen hi-def telivisions should have. Just depends on the television but most I've seen have the option (actually haven't seen one w/o it).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234