Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP 64

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Vista is native 64-bit although a "dumbed-down" 32-bit version will be available for those silly enough to want it.

Driver support/program compatability for XP64 has improved dramatically in the past 6 months and will only get better. After all, both AMD and Intel have shifted production completely to 64 bit chips.

BTW, if you've tried the beta XP64 or the free "trial" version, there is no comparison to the full retail/OEM version. The "real" version actually works...the others were just teasers.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    neevakee's Avatar the bad spelller BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    ok here is my 2 cents...

I would recomend windows x64 only if you are willing to make serious sacrifices. I had it installed for a decent period of time and looking back on it regreted every second. The main problem is software that uses virtual hardware. Such examples are adobe professional creating a print driver for saving documents as PDF or Cisco VPN which creates a modem which allows me to access a major network when I am at home or on the road. This is where the downfall is, while applications and fixes are coming out I would say wait for Vista, but if your really want x64 do a dual boot.

I hope this is helpfull, just make sure that you double check any software that you use day to day for full compatiablity with x64.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Will the normal Windows XP Pro that most of us are using work the same way on a computer with 64 chip and pcie slots?

My current Windows XP Pro works perfect, and so does all of my software. I was just wondering if I were to use the exact same OS and set of software on a 64 computer, would it work? Or is it incompatible?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by cool skill
    Will the normal Windows XP Pro that most of us are using work the same way on a computer with 64 chip and pcie slots?

My current Windows XP Pro works perfect, and so does all of my software. I was just wondering if I were to use the exact same OS and set of software on a 64 computer, would it work? Or is it incompatible?
    Yes the 32 bit version of XP Pro works perfectly on the 64 bit chip and with new motherboards with PCIE.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Yes the 32 bit version of XP Pro works perfectly on the 64 bit chip and with new motherboards with PCIE.
    "XP Pro" and "perfectly" in the same sentence?

Pigs must be flying.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    "XP Pro" and "perfectly" in the same sentence?

Pigs must be flying.
    Ok. You're right.

It works as well as on a 32bit processor.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    So what's the deal now?
    Still don't recomend it? I want to try it but is there even any noticeable differences?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Well, my personal perspective has changed lately.

Now that my two daily OS options are x64Pro and Vista (either flavor), 64 bit Pro seems like the Rock of Gibralter.
    Everything I need to work, does.

I'm hardly what you would consider a "power user" though, so a generous dose of salt is in order.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3

Heart

Holy resurrected thread batman!!

But I agree with clocker: x64 Pro is solid. No compatability probs here.
    Last edited by Colt Seevers; 07-10-2006 at 08:35 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    üßêr n00b
    64 bit has poor firewall support...tryed XP64 but changed back to 32bit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast