Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are symbols important to you.

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™
    No. His intention is to show support and he is probably ignorant of it being disrespectful to many to sing it in another language.
    But why is it disrespectful?

Perhaps before making a resolution in the house lawmakers should think about making English the official language. But to me this goes against free expression. The same with flag burning, the flag belongs to us all so if an American citizen wishes to burn his own flag why should that be made a criminal offense as some wish?
    What is important is the loyalty to the meaning behind the symbols, not the symbol itself...... Does that make sense as to my position?

Now the context of this Spanishizing the anthem is not a show of support. It is a feigning of support while in protest.
    Is that reality or just a perception taken on our part?
    the United States Bureau of Education commissioned a Spanish-language version of "The Star Spangled Banner" en español way back in 1919. That was before the English version became the official anthem in 1931.

Edit:

Did you know GW Bush used to sing the anthem in spanish when he dropped into hispanic "festivals" or parties "viva bush" rallies during the first presidential campaign?
    Last edited by vidcc; 05-02-2006 at 02:51 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fromagepas
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Flags, national anthems or religious symbols etc.

Do you get offended if they are shown "disrespect"?

Watching the news and reading views about the spanish version of the US anthem I was amazed at how offended people were about it.
    I have never been one for worshiping symbolic objects so it seems a tad odd to me. I can understand indignity at someone saying bad things about us but to me singing our anthem in any language is a compliment.

With flags I am not worried if someone burns a US flag....It's another thing if they burn a US citizen.

I understand that it's what the symbol represents but I am wondering why all the fuss. It seems like a whole load of fuss made over something small when we have real problems that need fixing....... Could it be a diversion

I like your American Atheist Avatar, it's very becoming.

:earl:

/pwned like a wrassler that plays an evil character, then turns round to jeer at the crowd, while not noticing the good guy sneaking up with a chair

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by fkdup74
    See, this is the part I don't get. Crimilize it how?
    It's already illegal for fuck's sake.

But aside from that.....you DC people musn't be very up to date on agriculture.
    Those immigrants keep the farms going.
    I live in Southern California, I see it every day, so just trust me on that.
    Does it make what they are doing right? Not exactly.
    But, if America would reform welfare and get every one off their lazy asses,
    maybe the farmers wouldn't have to hire immigrants.
    True, they get migrant labor at a much cheaper rate, but let's be honest...
    Most Americans are just too fucking lazy to do the work.

The problem is the context is why folks are singing the national anthem in Spanish. I look at it as a hijack due to the fact that they simply are saying to the American government, "Fuck you. I snuck in here so make me a legal citizen and don't even think of trying to keep the rest of my countrymen out of your country."
    They said all of that during the singing? Really? Was it, like, subliminal?
    Of course.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    But why is it disrespectful?

Perhaps before making a resolution in the house lawmakers should think about making English the official language. But to me this goes against free expression. The same with flag burning, the flag belongs to us all so if an American citizen wishes to burn his own flag why should that be made a criminal offense as some wish?
    What is important is the loyalty to the meaning behind the symbols

Agreed. I already said intention is the key.

white guy: My mom voted you for Sheriff. I figured you musta been alright, a nigger playing football and all.

The folks singing the anthem in Spanish are the same ones wanting to hijack the law.

Now the context of this Spanishizing the anthem is not a show of support. It is a feigning of support while in protest.
    Is that reality or just a perception taken on our part?
    the United States Bureau of Education commissioned a Spanish-language version of "The Star Spangled Banner" en español way back in 1919. That was before the English version became the official anthem in 1931.

Edit:

Did you know GW Bush used to sing the anthem in spanish when he dropped into hispanic "festivals" or parties "viva bush" rallies during the first presidential campaign?
    No. Again look at the context.

illegal: "I snuck over and stayed under your radar."
    "I and a lot of others want to shortcut the law and want to be made citizens right now."
    "Oh and stop building a fence to keep illegals from coming over here."
    "I learned your national anthem but not your official anthem. I made some changes, Robert. Oh and from now on, I'll call you Roberto"

American: "But I want to be called Robert. IT IS MY NAME."

illegal: "Roberto, you're so silly."

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Just for clarification, an american citizen of mexican ancestry, that is against illegal immigration sings it in spanish...is that offensive?

Was it offensive for GW to sing it in spanish while campaigning?

Now it seems it was sung in both English and Spanish at his first inaugural.

I understand your point suggesting it's about challenging the US instead of intergrating, and in some cases it may well be but IMO what matters is the loyalty of the person singing it and not the langauge they use to sing it.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Just for clarification, an american citizen of mexican ancestry, that is against illegal immigration sings it in spanish...is that offensive?

Was it offensive for GW to sing it in spanish while campaigning?

Now it seems it was sung in both English and Spanish at his first inaugural.

I understand your point suggesting it's about challenging the US instead of intergrating, and in some cases it may well be but IMO what matters is the loyalty of the person singing it and not the langauge they use to sing it.
    Mmk, I don't really have a problem there. Just like some people named Robert don't mind being called Roberto by a Spanish person. Some will take offense.

My thought is that a Spanish person singing the anthem in Spanish is now is not doing their 'cause any good. It's doing the opposite.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    My absolute favourite type of racist is the one who doesn't even know that they are a racist. They think they are taking a perfectly reasonable position.

In their wee head they think "I don't hate everyone from a certain ethnic background, therefore I can't be a racist".

“It’s not the will to win that counts - it is the will to prepare”

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    i call a portugese guy pedro because it's funny

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Chip Monk's Avatar Darth Monk Like.
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    i call a portugese guy pedro because it's funny
    Is his name Pedro?
    You do not need to see my I.D.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    There are probably more Spanish speaking (singing) inhabitants in the USA than there are English.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast