Thread: Why does a free DVD burning program work better than a $100 CD&DVD burning program?

Poster

Question Mark

I went to CompUSA and looked at DVD burning software. $100 for Nero 7! Of course, I didn't buy it. I "tried it out" through newsgroups and burned a couple of ISO movies to DVD and I made an audio CD (nero auto-converts mp3 to cd audio on the fly). The CD was full of errors and the DVD froze up in spots. I am using a Sony burner and RiDATA discs, so that's not the problem, is it?

I solved the CD problem by converting the mp3s to WAV files with "FreeRIP" and THEN burning with Nero. Perfect! I solved the DVD skipping problems by downloading "DVD Decrypter" and buring straight thru that program. No errors so far! Both programs are legally downloaded for free and are available to everyone.

So why does Nero fuck up my media but the free programs burn it perfectly? Is it because Nero tries to do SO many things that it does them all poorly? And the free programs do few things but they do them well?
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 05-20-2006 at 03:30 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    nero 7 is shat. any burning program should handle mp3s without a problem. converting them to wavs is totally unnecessary.

i would avoid nero 7, any 6.x version should be fine. use whatever works for you though.
    Last edited by lee551; 05-20-2006 at 06:05 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I have full nero7 with crack. It has worked well shrinking/burning movies. I never tried cloning a cd with it. Can it do that?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by cool skill
    I have full nero7 with crack. It has worked well shrinking/burning movies. I never tried cloning a cd with it. Can it do that?
    DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter would be a better choice for shrinking/burning movies. Use AnyDVD with them too.

Clone CD is good for cloning a CD or even to copy an already burnt 4.7GB DVD to another 4.7GB DVD

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    DVDshrink decrypts and shrinks at the same time.

However I am now using AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 and it works a treat. Any DVD works in the background and CloneDVD2 is a breeze to use, with good results.

“It’s not the will to win that counts - it is the will to prepare”

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Fromagepas
    DVDshrink decrypts and shrinks at the same time.
    Yes but DVD Decrypter can also burn DVDs.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Quote Originally Posted by cool skill
    DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter would be a better choice for shrinking/burning movies. Use AnyDVD with them too.

Clone CD is good for cloning a CD or even to copy an already burnt 4.7GB DVD to another 4.7GB DVD
    I agree. As I said, Nero 7 works very well. I used to use it. I no longer install it because it is a resource hog. Here is my list:

CloneDVD2.
    (DVD9 -> DVD5. DVD9 -> Full ISO (9). DVD9 -> Shrunken ISO (5). Full ISO or Shrunken ISO -> DVD5.)

Any DVD.
    (Runs in background for copyprotected DVDs. I used this even when I was using Nero 7.

Virtual CloneDrive
    (Mounting ISOs. And it is legally free.)

Clone CD.
    (CD cloning.)

Magic ISO Maker
    (CD {&DVD} burning software. Turns CDs into ISO. Burns CDs for data and audio. Converts between CD, ISO, Bin/Cue. Bootables. Does it all for DVDs as well.)
    http://www.magiciso.com/
    Don't hesitate to pm me if you need activation.
    Last edited by cool skill; 05-20-2006 at 05:55 PM.