Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disk Defragment

kAb's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by adthomp@30 April 2003 - 03:41
    How is this kazaa related???
    hardwareworld is not necessarily kazaa related.

many people suggest to defrag weekly. don't worry about it, its a common procedure.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    it would probably take me a few days to Defrag, i have a 100gb hard drive, and i havnt defraged more than a year (just havnt gotten around to it) How long do u think it would take now?
    -TiMz

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Timz@30 April 2003 - 16:57
    it would probably take me a few days to Defrag, i have a 100gb hard drive, and i havnt defraged more than a year (just havnt gotten around to it) How long do u think it would take now?
    around 24 hours probably... maybe 30.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Retired
    i think that depends how fast your computer is

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    If you have a 100 gig harddrive you probably have a decent system along with it. I don't know an exact estimate but just leave your computer on overnight and defrag it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by balamm@30 April 2003 - 17:03
    15 minutes to a half hour maybe?
    (in XP/NT)
    no... thats WAY to fast.

especially if you have movies, they frag easily and take a long time to defrag.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Retired
    why wanna know it?? just try it!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Whatever you do, don't use Norton Speeddisk. It takes long and I don't know why they call it that. Just defrag. in Safe Mode for the best and fastest results.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Retired
    try this website: http://www.pcpitstop.com it is a nice site that will test all important things on your pc and gives info/what to do when it's finished!!
    It's a website

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    it dont mater how fast ur comp is the main thing is how fast ur HD is

some tips on defarigng

first defrag all ur partishions once this is done u can keep the need to defrag to a minum by doing this

dl in kazaa to and "scrap" Or "temp" partishion after the dl is compleat move it to a partishion that is not fragmented or a "storage" partishion when u move it from 1 partishion to a nother it will defrag the file for u automaticly cus it will right it in a row as long as the partishion ur moving it to is not fragmented
    so if all u use it for is too move fils from somewhere else too then it wont fragment at all

its a good idea to do this to movies as they play much better if there not fragmented
    the only time u will have to defragment this "storage" partishoin is if u delet files from it as that will leve a big hole in the data but u dont have to do it every time u deleat a movie as its a big hole and the next one u move there will go too that spot first

ntfs has a sotra built in de fragmenter and u dont have to do it as often basicly it makes a good guess as to where to put a new file so it wont fragment

vary advanced servers such as sun main frames dont ever have to be defraged as they do it all dynamicly all the time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast