Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista Beta 2 free download *link*

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    #1. So who doesn't have a DVD-RW already? If you are that much of a Luddite why are you installing Vista anyway?
    #2,3,& 4. Pretty much applies to XP as well as Vista..."clean installs" are always best.
    #5. Well, it is a beta release...if it was already perfect MS sure as hell wouldn't be giving it away.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    I did have a warning, but Good download speeds running at the mo.
    The idiosyncratic syntax of riddles interests me

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    vampiro's Avatar Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    ran this on a virtual machine and it needed like 15gig of hard drive space before i could install,

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    muchspl3's Avatar muchspl3 > muchspl2
    lol @ 15gigs
    `anyone from Argentina on this board?

I need your help and if you can help me pM me

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by vampiro
    ran this on a virtual machine and it needed like 15gig of hard drive space before i could install,
    When it's done I think it uses like 8gb.

I installed it last night and by the morning I was more than ready to go back to xp.
    The constant warnings about opening services.msc, msconfig, control apnel, etc. just got wayyy too much. The whole user privs thing was fcked all over too.

Just to move a file you end up having to click 2 warning/accept dialogs. Even though I was an administrator it still had to warn me that I need admin privileges to perform the chosen action.
    When replacing a file you nee dto go trhough even MORE warnings...just to, half the time, have the file not be overwritten for reasons beyond me (beta?).

Settings for some programs weren't kept such as speedfan and winamp because they didn't have permission to write to their config files. I'm guessing I couldhave fixed that by forcing those programs to run as administrator but too late now.

Unless microsoft lightens the amount of dialogs to click through or someone comes up with a crack to disable them I WON'T be using Vista when it's final.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    vampiro's Avatar Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    Quote Originally Posted by vampiro
    When it's done I think it uses like 8gb.

it still used nearenough the 15gig of space even when finished

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    I installed it last night and by the morning I was more than ready to go back to xp.
    The constant warnings about opening services.msc, msconfig, control apnel, etc. just got wayyy too much. The whole user privs thing was fcked all over too.
    Try this, Ross.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    In an instant message chat, Microsoft has told the Windows Featured Communities that the demand for Windows Vista Beta 2 has been overwhelming. It is, in fact, the largest downloaded software in history. Currently, they are serving product keys out ten times faster then the downloads can be served. In fact, they are pumping out bits as fast as they can - any faster and there would be a measurable impact on the internet. In fact, I quote a Microsoft representive:

"So, we are literally saying that if we increased our bandwidth any further there's a possibilty of taking down the Internet - people might have problems with World Cup viewing, etc"

People who have recieved Vista Beta 2 product keys, but are unable to download, may need to wait a few days, up to one week. Microsoft encoruages users who want to try out Windows Vista Beta 2 to order the DVD. When they recieve the DVD in 1-4 weeks, install it, and activate it, they will be automattically guaranteed an RC1 upgrade.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    Dont understand how they can take down the internet.... But, just get it from newsgroups or Bittorrent..

Funny how MS doesnt embrace bittorrent technology when it was programmed for this type of senerio. Many linux distros use both dozens of mirrors and Bit Torrent. Makes downloading a lot easier.
    Last edited by erRor67; 06-11-2006 at 06:08 PM.
    blah blah blah... whatever...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by erRor67
    Dont understand how they can take down the internet.... But, just get it from newsgroups or Bittorrent..

Funny how MS doesnt embrace bittorrent technology when it was programmed for this type of senerio. Many linux distros use both dozens of mirrors and Bit Torrent. Makes downloading a lot easier.
    they would have to pay brain (the creator) i think

plus they don't want more people reading up on torrents would me my thoughts

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast