Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Zarqawi is dead...

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    We have chosen a fight we feel is necessary and that we must win.
    Quote Originally Posted by StephG
    That was a whole load of words, totally devoid of a point.

The position you constantly return to is that they break the Geneva Convention, so why should people moan when we also break it? If you genuinely don't know the answer to that, then you really are no better than those you decry.

"Let us do the job; if you want to help, fine, if not, STFU...the U.N. is your mouthpiece and will speak for you."

What on Earth is that supposed to mean? Let me rephrase it "My way or the highway". I think not.
    I have, in other threads, made clear why I think we went into Iraq rather than merely huddling in Afghanistan (a relatively inconsequential country, insofar as it has no oil) and taking care of the Taliban.

Those who think the terrorists would have come to us in Afghanistan are (1) wrong, and (2) selling Afghanistan short in lieu of Iraq-Afghanistan has citizens, too, if I'm not mistaken.

It only stands to reason that Iraq was the best candidate in the region (given Saddam's habits) for something approaching a democracy; Saudi Arabia, while a distasteful prospect as an ally, is relatively stable, but not inclined to be as well-rounded (and militarily capable) as is necessary to take a hand, regionally.

These things were regarded as the desired potentiality of Iraq.

More to the point though, we are there, and to leave at this particular point would be a mistake, or maybe you'd have preferred we vacate and leave Iraq to Zarqawi, bin Laden and the like?

You seem to think a swift departure will lead to peace in the mideast and no more 9/11s, 3/11s, 7/7s or other terrorist activity anywhere ever again.

What precisely do you propose we do, StephG?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    Do you feel that to have done nothing would have been a better option?
    Probably, and certainly not in the way it was undertaken.

No doubt some will suggest that to be an endorsement of Saddam Hussein, but it is nothing of the sort. Look at the facts in a little more detail.

Firstly, Saddam Hussein was more or less "under control". A lot of what went on since the first Gulf War was posturing and verbal rhetoric intended for internal consumption. The west knew that.

Secondly, there was never any suggestion that his removal was because of human rights violations (for want of a better all encompassing phrase).

Indeed, there were much more deserving targets for such action. For example Somalia, where earlier actions had damaged the non-west-friendly warlord sufficiently that a west-friendly one held more power. No reduction in the human rights abuses though, even though they exceeded those in Iraq many times over.

Ask yourself why the western governments did not pursue his removal on humanitarian grounds. It would have got much more support at the UN, even though it would still not have got a resolution. But such a motive would not have raised the ire of the "local" population in the same way that an impossible search for non-existent WMD would, and would therefore be less likely to achieve the true objective.

However, once the failure to find any WMD became apparent, and thousands of Iraqis had died in bombing raids, the suggestion that it was all good because it stopped the human rights abuses was brought up. That this was simply a ruse was obvious, and almost certainly added to the rising tension in the area.

We need to stop staring at where our governments are directing out gaze, and look at what's going on in the background. That's where we'll find the real truth about what's going on.
    Last edited by lynx; 06-11-2006 at 12:36 AM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    Do you feel that to have done nothing would have been a better option?
    Probably, and certainly not in the way it was undertaken.

No doubt some will suggest that to be an endorsement of Saddam Hussein, but it is nothing of the sort. Look at the facts in a little more detail.

Firstly, Saddam Hussein was more or less "under control". A lot of what went on since the first Gulf War was posturing and verbal rhetoric intended for internal consumption. The west knew that.

The West knew what, exactly?

Precious little, as it turns out; the "question" of WMD was not a question, beforehand-EVERYONE believed Saddam possessed them, and EVERYONE had intelligence that indicated this was so; we had even seen him use them in the past.

Subsequent stories to the effect they were hidden/buried, moved to Syria, dumped in the Euphrates, what-have-you, lead to no conclusive disposition.

In any case, the fact no WMD was found has now become a panacea for all those who claim to have "known it all along".

For them, hindsight is a boon, indeed.

To suggest they knew what every intelligence service (not to mention the U.N. and it's inspectors) did not know is gratuitous opportunism.

Secondly, there was never any suggestion that his removal was because of human rights violations (for want of a better all encompassing phrase).

Indeed, there were much more deserving targets for such action. For example Somalia, where earlier actions had damaged the non-west-friendly warlord sufficiently that a west-friendly one held more power. No reduction in the human rights abuses though, even though they exceeded those in Iraq many times over.

Then are we to conclude that to imperil the lives of extant Somalians would weigh less heavily on the consciences of those who would prefer Iraq be left alone?

Ask yourself why the western governments did not pursue his removal on humanitarian grounds. It would have got much more support at the UN, even though it would still not have got a resolution. But such a motive would not have raised the ire of the "local" population in the same way that an impossible search for non-existent WMD would, and would therefore be less likely to achieve the true objective.

Humanitarian grounds were a sidelight of what was thought the greater issue-WMD and the potential terrorist connections.

In either case, as has been mentioned throughout this section, many times, and in many places, you put your chips on the square with the greatest potential yield, and that was Iraq (remember the accusations self-interest?)

BTW-

What does "...much more support at the UN, even though it would still not have got a resolution." count for?

UN resolutions over Iraq were totally meaningless, if you'll remember; it follows that "support" would have meant commensurately less.

However, once the failure to find any WMD became apparent, and thousands of Iraqis had died in bombing raids, the suggestion that it was all good because it stopped the human rights abuses was brought up. That this was simply a ruse was obvious, and almost certainly added to the rising tension in the area.

This is true, though artfully worded; it gives the impression that the claims to have stopped human-rights abuses were issued in direct response to innocents being bombed.

Without discounting the terrible toll this has taken on the Iraqi citizens, I have seen instances of polls purporting to question them as to a continued coalition presence there, and the result is generally in the negative.

If they were polled as to whether, when all is said and done, they'd prefer a democracy (after their own fashion) or a fundamentalist existence under, say, a Muqtada al Sadr?

Now, there's a better question.

We need to stop staring at where our governments are directing out gaze, and look at what's going on in the background. That's where we'll find the real truth about what's going on.
    Sounds like a plan.

What's the background telling you?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!

Precious little, as it turns out; the "question" of WMD was not a question, beforehand-EVERYONE believed Saddam possessed them, and EVERYONE had intelligence that indicated this was so; we had even seen him use them in the past.

Subsequent stories to the effect they were hidden/buried, moved to Syria, dumped in the Euphrates, what-have-you, lead to no conclusive disposition.

In any case, the fact no WMD was found has now become a panacea for all those who claim to have "known it all along".

To suggest they knew what every intelligence service (not to mention the U.N. and it's inspectors) did not know is gratuitous opportunism.

There have been accounts of GWB turning his attention Iraq "out of the blue" before this great intelligence surfaced. I believe this great intelligence surfaced after GW made his decision. I don't believe his decision came because of the intelligence. All o dat was a sell for everyone else.

Even with that intulugunce, many didn't believe it. I sure thought it was bullshit. Maybe Bush was reading Nostradamus writings and thought Saddam was starting to wear a blue turban.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    [QUOTE=Busyman™]

There have been accounts of GWB turning his attention Iraq "out of the blue" before this great intelligence surfaced. I believe this great intelligence surfaced after GW made his decision. I don't believe his decision came because of the intelligence. All o dat was a sell for everyone else.

Even with that intulugunce, many didn't believe it. I sure thought it was bullshit. Maybe Bush was reading Nostradamus writings and thought Saddam was starting to wear a blue turban.
    I believe what I said was relative only to the question of whether Saddam had WMD; that the administration chose to use this as a justification for the war is beside my point.

As for who believed and who did not, what we have is enough documentation to fill the National Archive with statements by every member of our government as well as those of most others.

What you have is a facetious and anecdotal claim of prescience.

This is not an uncommon phenomenon.

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    [QUOTE=j2k4]
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™

I believe what I said was relative only to the question of whether Saddam had WMD; that the administration chose to use this as a justification for the war is beside my point.

As for who believed and who did not, what we have is enough documentation to fill the National Archive with statements by every member of our government as well as those of most others.

What you have is a facetious and anecdotal claim of prescience.

This is not an uncommon phenomenon.
    Hmmm, if the West knew very little whether Sodom had WMD then that is the point.

Sorry, I can say "I knew it all along" since it wasn't found.

One can speculate it was moved to Syria or Russia for all I care. It wasn't found in Iraq and our soldiers are dying for squat. At least in Vietnam was a real threat. The difference there was whether it was any of our business.

Maybe in 20 years time a Republican controlled Congress can manufacture greatness to GWB and rename some of our monuments and subway stops after him.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    [QUOTE=Busyman™]
    Hmmm, if the West knew very little whether Sodom had WMD then that is the point.

You may not put words in my mouth...

Sorry, I can say "I knew it all along" since it wasn't found.

...while you put whatever you like into your own.

One can speculate it was moved to Syria or Russia for all I care. It wasn't found in Iraq and our soldiers are dying for squat. At least in Vietnam was a real threat. The difference there was whether it was any of our business.

The difficulty here is functionaries in Saddam's regime are the source of such stories, but, no matter how believable, we'd have to invade Syria to continue the chase, you see?

Once again, you are free to type whatever words you like in response, although I'm sure you were already aware of all this.

Maybe in 20 years time a Republican controlled Congress can manufacture greatness to GWB and rename some of our monuments and subway stops after him.
    I'm quite sure you are wrong about this, although the likelihood of a Republican-controlled Congress, while an iffy proposition, is a much better bet than a Democrat one.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    [QUOTE=j2k4The difficulty here is functionaries in Saddam's regime are the source of such stories, but, no matter how believable, we'd have to invade Syria to continue the chase, you see?[/QUOTE]
    Ahhh....that's right. Let's not leave out the rest of the ME.

I'm quite sure you are wrong about this, although the likelihood of a Republican-controlled Congress, while an iffy proposition, is a much better bet than a Democrat one.
    ....and your point of reference is what, the last 7 years?

I think we are due for a change...mmmyesyes, that's right.

On a side note, I do like how the gay marriage has come again only recently and where the hell have those colored alerts gone off too? I miss the White House and military working so closely together.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39

Everyone? You seem to be conveniently forgetting the inspectors who were there immediately before the invasion, the ones who were forced to leave before finishing their job, and who's subsequent report concluded that in their opinion there were no WMDs. Why did Bush order the invasion only two weeks before the inspectors were due to finish their task, could it have anything to do with the leaked details of their probable conclusions?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken

Unsure

Well quite a few million people all over the world didnt believe he had them... you might remember all the demonstrations?

Then there was the inspectors, pointing out that the US and UK were refusing to let them have the equipment to prove what they already believed, that there was no WMD left and it had already been destroyed.

Mostly it was the US and UK Governments trying, and failing, to convince anyone from memory...
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 06-11-2006 at 10:54 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast