Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: TJ Maxx

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    No.
    It's in already.

Now I just have to figure out how to exploit it.

Last edited by clocker; 07-09-2006 at 05:55 PM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #62
    Round two of the TJ Maxx project has been completed.
    There were a few loose ends that I had left from last time and a few changes that grew out of my last week's usage, so I just bit the bullit and dove in again.

From the top (actually, the bottom)...

The mirrored Plexi bottom floor skin with the radiator in place.

PSU and Sunbeam rheobus installed.

A side view with a better shot of the fan conroller in position.

The roof vent with twin fillports installed (one for filling and the second is an airbleed).

Fillports connected to the new nikhsub1 Delrin reservoir ( a custom made all-Delrin copy of the AC rez).

Beauty shot of the exterior upper quadrant showing the fillports and the new rez. Reservoir is mounted in a new bezel panel cut from a Lian-li v-2000 sidepanel whose color and graining is a nice match for the Silverstone TJ finish.

The entire backplane with mobo tray installed. The red switch in the fan hole mesh is a "Clear CMOS" switch...very handy when you screw up as often as I.

A side shot of the entire loop.
    It's the same spec as before, only the tubing has been changed to Tygon R-3400 ( basically the black version of R-3603).

The biggest hardware change concerns the HDDs.
    Gone are the twin Raptors, replaced by a 250GB WD SATA3 drive (Newegg had 'em on a one day sale for $75) enclosed in a Nexus Drive-A-Way
    caddy.
    There were two reasons for this change.
    The primary cause was a quest for a quieter PC (the secondary reason was cash...someone wanted the Raptors more than I and had the money to prove it ). Playing with Vista and it's "always on" indexing feature made me realize how noisy the Raptors really were. Small and irrational as my i-RAM might be, one has to admire the dead silence it provides. This Nexus caddy was well reviewed at SPCR so I decided to try it out.
    Sumbitch...the drive is completely inaudible although it does run hotter than an open air mounting would allow. With a room ambient right around 30C the drive reports a temp of 42C...not great, but not worrisome either.
    A fair tradeoff for the silence, methinks.
    Here's a (crap) shot of it in place...

Since the i-RAM was unpowered for nearly two days it lost all it's data...I'm just now back up and running.
    Everything seems fine so far, now to configure the new Crystalfontz display.

But first, some RnR...

Toodles.
    Last edited by clocker; 07-18-2006 at 04:17 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #63
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Cabaret?
    I hope that's Mrs Clocker's.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. Software & Hardware   -   #64
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK
    Cabaret?
    I bet clocker was wondering who was going to comment on his strategically placed videos.

Meanwhile, I was trying to work out the significance of Camel, Daytona and the Crew pass.

Btw, clocker, is the bios clear switch DPDT? Just thought it might be useful to prevent accidental boot attempts by having the power signal routed through that too.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #65
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Btw, clocker, is the bios clear switch DPDT? Just thought it might be useful to prevent accidental boot attempts by having the power signal routed through that too.
    Wouldn't SPDT work?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #66
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Wouldn't SPDT work?
    Nope. The clear cmos jumper has a common (cmos) pin in the centre, a power pin and a ground pin, so you need double throw.

You'd only need single throw for the power signal though, but that still makes it double pole.
    Last edited by lynx; 07-18-2006 at 08:27 PM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #67
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Wouldn't SPDT work?
    Nope. The clear cmos jumper has a common (cmos) pin in the centre, a power pin and a ground pin, so you need double throw.

You'd only need single throw for the power signal though, but that still makes it double pole.
    You're right. I wasn't thinking about the clear CMOS as SPDT by itself. I only thought as far as connecting the two pins to clear CMOS and forgot about the default postion.

I must be tired.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #68
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK
    Cabaret?
    I bet clocker was wondering who was going to comment on his strategically placed videos.
    I find it a disconcerting that a man with such wonderfully cutting-edge toys should have movies on VHS rather than DVD.

It's a great idea that frankly should have been thought of by manufacturers of cases in the power-tweaker market.
    Isn't there a momentary pushbutton changeover switch on the market then? That would look more discreet and probably fit right in one of the existing ventilation holes.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

9. Software & Hardware   -   #69
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Man, someone should just rig up a switch, that has 3 wires, ran to the cmos jumpers, slap that on, and on the other end a button and a pci slot thingy you can attach and use in the back, or just the button for case modders. Seems like something people would buy...

*homer simpsons voice, while pointing at everyone* Patent Pending!
    Last edited by Duffman; 07-19-2006 at 05:03 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #70
    Meanwhile, I was trying to work out the significance of Camel, Daytona and the Crew pass.
    Those are pit passes from my last year as a race bike mechanic.

In fact the switch is DPDT and that's an excellent idea.
    Too late to implement now, but I'll keep it tucked away for future use.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFurryThing
    Cabaret?
    Actually, no, neither of the Mrs. Clockers was a big fan.
    What can I say?
    I guess it's time to 86 all the tapes- haven't even seen my VHS in years.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567