Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Constitution and Original Intent/Informational

Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley

Surely to look at any document, particularly the one on which your nation is based, outwith it's historical context, is to miss the point. That's also why these things must change, to meet the needs of the time.

As such, to take a wholly modern subject and try to rule on it, based on the original intent is ultimately futile. Indeed it would appear to me that it goes against the original intent, given that the Founding Fathers wrote the original to deal with the issues alive at the time. Militias, standing armies, foreign rulers and so forth.
    I was speaking specifically with regard to the issue of slavery.
    FFS man I was agreeing with you.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened

I was speaking specifically with regard to the issue of slavery.
    FFS, that may be, but my point being emancipation was a genuine issue during the period the Constitution was formulated and written and not mere lip-service or a self-serving version of the evidence that survives, as Busyman seems to believe.

Apparently he is still feeling persecuted...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Kev-

If you had a time machine would you go back and reword the preamble?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Kev-

If you had a time machine would you go back and reword the preamble?
    I'm sure you've a reason for asking, but no, I would not.

Other sections, possibly, but, as you know, I strive mightily (and successfully, for the most part) to stifle my inclinations to presumptuousness.

Welcome back, BTW-my step-daughter is due to return today, but a bit later on.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35

FFS, that may be, but my point being emancipation was a genuine issue during the period the Constitution was formulated and written and not mere lip-service or a self-serving version of the evidence that survives, as Busyman seems to believe.

As Thomas Covenant would say "You cannot achieve good things by evil means".

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36

And, to expand on Burke, it is most definitely true that good men doing (ultimately) nothing led to a triumph of the evil of slavery.

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    And, to expand on Burke, it is most definitely true that good men doing (ultimately) nothing led to a triumph of the evil of slavery.
    Such a shame it took so much longer for any vestige of equal rights to be afforded to the slaves descendants. Perhaps "doing nothing" is not something to be quite so proud of.

What is the other saying "All it takes for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing" I paraphrase.

The bottom line is that we disagree on certain things. You are an end justifies the means man. You can accept torture, so long as the right people are tortured for the right reasons. I can't.

(I'm taking it you meant a triumph over the evil of slavery, not a triumph of the evil of slavery)

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    It did for some time.

Wez black folks should thanks themz good menz.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 06-18-2006 at 06:18 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Tweedy old crow

Am I the only person who found those books to weird to get into them?

Maybe I shouldn't have started with the 3rd one in the series.
    Just answer me this?

What bloody age does it play in???

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    (I'm taking it you meant a triumph over the evil of slavery, not a triumph of the evil of slavery)
    No, I meant what I said, and bemoan the fact of it.

My only intent was to point out that the Founders (as a whole) genuinely wished to end slavery, but perceived their attempt to found a nation would fail if they conditioned it upon emancipation.

Busyman believes this (and the fact many of them had owned slaves) as proof they had no intention of ending slavery.

One might as well ask why a smoker would stop smoking...

-Mark Twain

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast