Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Philippines abolishes the death penalty

It was Easter when President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo
    came up the "bright" idea of ditchin the death penalty tsk!

The Philippines is about 95% Roman Catholic, but in the south they have some muslims, and among them are crazy radical fundamentalist knuckleheads who have beheaded people before.

Anyway, yup it is stupid to announce that the death penalty is no longer on the table, especially when dealin with terrorists.

It makes absolutely no sense to me to take tax payer gold to keep some FKN evil bastards alive, while a few cents of lead in the head is a no brainer decision, if they are without a doubt guilty.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by wukka
    It was Easter when President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo
    came up the "bright" idea of ditchin the death penalty tsk!

The Philippines is about 95% Roman Catholic, but in the south they have some muslims, and among them are crazy radical fundamentalist knuckleheads who have beheaded people before.

Anyway, yup it is stupid to announce that the death penalty is no longer on the table, especially when dealin with terrorists.

It makes absolutely no sense to me to take tax payer gold to keep some FKN evil bastards alive, while a few cents of lead in the head is a no brainer decision, if they are without a doubt guilty.
    by being executed, they're gonna be seen as martyrs and it'll fuel the desire for these people to kill thier enemies. locking them up for life isn't gonna be seen as very glorious, if you get what i'm saying

and something tells me a suicide bomber isn't too bothered about dying

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    It's because they want to join the EU. Where the death penalty is illegal under the European Convention on Human Rights. Article 1 as I recall.
    Correct, they have recently signed a contract with a Dutch shipping company whose tug boats will tow the Islands to the ever expanding territories of the European Union. They are planning to anchor them in the "Channel"just off the Isle of Wight... close to the "Needles".

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Quote Originally Posted by dry snitch
    Why the flying mother fucking arse is the death penalty going to put off a bloke who thinks he's going to get fortyleven virgins in heaven.
    depends on how the death penalty is viewed. IMO it is not a deterent, it is a punishment

War against terror my arse - it's clearly a domestic issue and it's a good thing that they're not going to kill people in a retribution stylee.
    who said "War against terror"? that is a bush administration slogan.
    the Philippines had domestic terrorist problem long before we joined the club, and just because it is domestic doesn't mean they aren't terrorists, but that was just one example of when the death sentence could be enacted.
    The thread starter mentioned the war against terror and how, in his opinion, they should keep the death penalty to deter terrorists. I think that's completely mad.

I don't know how you could have missed that, it's clearly the whole premis of my post.

The death penalty will not deter a person who thinks he or she is going to have a fantastic after-life. I think that is blindingly obvious to even the most blood-thirsty of capital punishment proponents.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Logic dictates the the worst possible punishment for "failed" suicide bombers is for the authorities to try to keep them alive for as long as possible.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    and they should be kept in the close proximity of a rather large pig farm...

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Tweedy old crow
    Funny
    I'm just reading a book called ' Journey into Darkness' it's written by one of the first profilers from the FBI

I just read something that was quite interesting.

This couple's daughter got murdered in a most brutal way and her attacker was caught hours after the deed. he immediately confessed to the crime.
    In court, the jury decided to give him the death penalty.
    However. 10 years down the line he's still not executed and there's still no obvious decision due to somthing called ' habeas corpus'

The couple. being Catholic, doesn't specifically believe in the death penalty as they believe it's God's work to punish someone.
    However they don't see any other solution.
    A life sentence means, almost certainly, the chance to parole at some stage and this monster could be allowed out again.

So if your prison system cannot guarantee that a life sentence actually DOES mean a life sentence... Then where do go you from there?

For the record. I don't believe in the death sentence, and I honestly believe it is more of a punishment to have to spend your life in prison without the chance to love or to have a walk along the sea ever again that instant comfortable death.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    The thread starter mentioned the war against terror and how, in his opinion, they should keep the death penalty to deter terrorists. I think that's completely mad.

I don't know how you could have missed that, it's clearly the whole premis of my post.
    he made no mention of the "war on terror"

Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    in their fight against terrorism
    It's a fight against local terrorist which has been going on for a long time not
    the bush slogan "war on terror"

War against terror my arse - it's clearly a domestic issue
    Domestic terrorist
    The death penalty will not deter a person who thinks he or she is going to have a fantastic after-life. I think that is blindingly obvious to even the most blood-thirsty of capital punishment proponents.
    And my reply to it was that it depends on how one views the death penalty. I have never thought of it as a deterent. To me it is punishment, nothing else. I don't care if someone thinks they will have an afterlife, they are wrong and I will have the satisfaction of knowing they are gone and that is it for them.
    Life in prison isn't going to make them think twice either, so that kind of neutralises the deterent arguement don't you feel. In fact locking them up actually causes more acts of terrorism and hostage taking coupled with demands for their release.
    I appreciate that killing them brings on revenge attacks also, but hey if they are going to kill innocent people regardless...............

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa
    Logic dictates the the worst possible punishment for "failed" suicide bombers is for the authorities to try to keep them alive for as long as possible.
    what about non suicide bombers ?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    For something to act as a deterrent it must be unpalatable to the person you wish to deter. It matters not one jot what you think about it.

To punish some people by the death penalty, in their mind, makes them a martyr and gives them an automatic place in a glorious afterlife.

Therefore the death penalty actively encourages them to carry on with what they are doing. Hence the decision to get rid of it, presumably.

Being locked away for the rest of their life, that is a much greater deterrent. So why not just make life mean life for certain offences, with no prospect of parole. In addition, when mistakes are made then the person can be released.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast