Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: bittorrent Vs. newsgroup

Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    It's not that there's no way of getting to them but it's not easy.

Your newsgroup provider can see exactly what you're downloading since they're providing the service and your ISP can read your packets and check which posts you're downloading against the post ID from the server you're using.

Your newsgroup provider could get a subpoena to provide logs showing which IPs have downloaded certain posts and they could comply with that meaning you are at risk of being caught.

Your ISP could also get a subpoena to provide details of your port 119 packets and they could comply meaning you're at risk of being caught. If your ISP keeps logs of packet content they might contain enough detail for the authorities to tell which posts have been downloaded.

Scenario 2 is only going to happen if you come to the attention of the authorities. That is to say they would need to be investigating you already.

I wouldn't worry for a long while yet though since you're only downloading and anti piracy organisation aren't interested in you. They're after people uploading or sharing.
    At the moment they are, anyway.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

2. File Sharing   -   #102
    has it ever happened in the past that a newsgroup provider has been given a subpoena for just downloading?

3. File Sharing   -   #103
    itS0v3r's Avatar No More Sorrow BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Bitorrent Rocks

4. File Sharing   -   #104
    cyanidexxx
    Nothing against Bit-torrent but it's newsgroups for me. Pay 10 bucks a month for a good news-server not much money,I can afford it. I can afford a computer and the internet after all. Not to mention everything I downloaded in a full week is WELL worth 10 bucks a month. Got full 10 meg connection speeds, 45 days binary retention, always find what i want with 67,000 different newsgroups out there, or maybe more now i dont know. Thats the great thing about it really. There's entire dedicated groups to one particular thing on usenet. You really can find anything on there. If you have a decent ISP server check it out, everyone says its hard to learn it isn't. As far as security of usenet let's just say this. There's a risk with everything. I've never heard of anyone getting caught downloading off of usenet before. I'm not gonna say it can't happen, but it's sure as hell more likely to happen to people who use bit-torrent considering your Ip is freely availible to see at the click of a button.
    Last edited by cyanidexxx; 07-14-2007 at 10:57 PM.

5. File Sharing   -   #105
    Wilton331's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I set up my free newsgroup access from comcast using the mac program unison, but when i browsed all the stuff they seemed random as f*ck and terrible selection. Like really bad stuff. I would like to know what i did wrong.

6. File Sharing   -   #106
    Well, ISP Newsgroup service isn't very good. The retention isn't as long, and likely isn't getting all the posts to the newsgroup.

Your much better off joining a premium provider and try looking through again. Also, use NZB files to get files if you can.

7. File Sharing   -   #107
    Wilton331's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    So i just downloaded an NZB movie file. What do I do now? How do I put all the files together? I'm using Mac OSX

8. File Sharing   -   #108
    Unison should be able to handle it, but be careful, even with NZB files won't get what you want unless the service you're using still has the files. It should start downloading once you open the file in unison, but I don't use NZB files, so I'm not sure how they work.

9. File Sharing   -   #109
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Anithira View Post
    Well, ISP Newsgroup service isn't very good. The retention isn't as long, and likely isn't getting all the posts to the newsgroup.

Your much better off joining a premium provider and try looking through again. Also, use NZB files to get files if you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anithira View Post
    Unison should be able to handle it, but be careful, even with NZB files won't get what you want unless the service you're using still has the files. It should start downloading once you open the file in unison, but I don't use NZB files, so I'm not sure how they work.

Lucky guess?

-bd

10. File Sharing   -   #110
    kayvanblue's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    we had this conversation before!!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011