Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows xp sp2 activation

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by truetejas View Post
    BTW, XP Pro runs fine on my obsolete PII 266 MHz w/ 256 Mg ram.
    Define "fine", please.
    Every week I work on customer PCs that have had XP grafted onto them and grow old waiting for the poor machine to boot to a usable desktop.

Just yesterday a woman came in with a Dell "WebPC" (how many of those have you ever seen?) that a "friend" had upgraded from 98 to XP Pro.
    It was having "a few problems".
    Uh huh.
    Ten minutes after turning it on (OK, maybe I'm exaggerating...it may have only been eight minutes...), when Device Manager finally decided to come out of it's coma, well whaddya know?, no f**ckin drivers installed for anything.

I suggested "bullet therapy" as the best course of action.
    It took her a while to come out of her coma, then she left in a huff.

Sorry guys.
    When I click on a button/icon I expect something to happen.
    Like, right away.
    If you can live with how XP runs on a POS old machine, great, but don't try to convince me it runs "fine".
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    well the disk is a system restore disk and its from a new gateway computer.....ive but it on 2 barebones and an older gateway but i only had it for 30 days since it was pirated....

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    well i have had xp run on the exact same model and specs as the one im using now and it worked great, i just uninstalled the useless stuff and it was great so i think ill try it....but i dont care if its windows xp or 2000 i just want whichever one is the easiest one to get, with dial up if i download one it will take days.
    i really dontknow what to do................

could i download an os thats zipped and somehow unzip it even though i dont think i have anything to do that with.....

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Tanner, any WinXP OS is going to be at least 500 megs+, which is a considerable download on a dialup connection. If memory serves me correctly, Win2K is just over 300 megs or so, which is still huge for dialup, but it needs fewer resources so it should work better on an older computer. But what the heck, give the disk you have a shot; it won't hurt anything.

Oh, clocker, the term fine means, "does everything expected of it without problems". It does not mean great, super-fast, or sweet. I'm sure you have a nice computer, but you have missed the point; we were talking about older equipment. Besides, no matter how fast your computer is it won/t burn a CD or download a torrent any faster than my P266 will.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut

Laugh

Quote Originally Posted by truetejas View Post
    ...and I have it networked and set up outside on the back porch so I can surf with nature.
    WTF?
    My sister's Micron PC ~600Mhz, 128 MB RAM, 20 GB HD, Intel Integrated Graphics runs XP Home fine. Disabled unnecessary services it runs surprisingly well.

Wierd thing is I used my Dell WinXP Home Reinstall CD to ''upgrade'' her machine a longtime ago...I think it asked for a OEM thingy...I used mine (and mine is activated and registered) it worked. Passes Windows Genuine, too.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    ok everyone,

now i know that xp will run on all ur guys' old computers which isnt very useful,
    but i still dont have any answers to my key problem,

but anyway,
    if i downloaded win2k,
    would i still need to activate it and all that stupid junk?
    is it like 98 where you ca use the same activation # over and over?

and also this question is very important so ill make it bold
    IS THERE ANY TORRENT THAT WORKS WITH AOL PARENTAL CONTROLS SET FOR MATURE TEEN WHERE I COULD DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 2000?!?!?!?!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    ok everyone,

now i know that xp will run on all ur guys' old computers which isnt very useful,

but anyway,
    if i downloaded win2k,

and also this question is very important
    IS THERE ANY TORRENT THAT WORKS WITH AOL PARENTAL CONTROLS SET FOR MATURE TEEN WHERE I COULD DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 2000?!?!?!?!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I had an intel 1.3ghz before with 128 RAM and windows xp did not work properly and windows me was best suited for it.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner31593 View Post
    ok everyone,

but anyway,
    if i downloaded win2k,

You know when I read through this I thought I didn't see a solution... I just thought I skipped over it or something.

Anyways...CORPORATE EDITION, no key/activation required. Other than that I've heard rumors that Magical Jelly Beans (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml) helps find your WinXP activation key. Is it just rumor?

AOL blocks .torrent files? Wait...whats more amazing is...You're using AOL! Haha! (But no seriously, AOL is blocking you? That's new.)
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 08-08-2006 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Add-on Required.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner31593 View Post
    ok everyone,

but anyway,
    if i downloaded win2k,

You know when I read through this I thought I didn't see a solution... I just thought I skipped over it or something.

Anyways...CORPORATE EDITION, no key/activation required. Other than that I've heard rumors that Magical Jelly Beans (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml) helps find your WinXP activation key. Is it just rumor?

AOL blocks .torrent files? Wait...whats more amazing is...You're using AOL! Haha! (But no seriously, AOL is blocking you? That's new.)
    You still need a product key for the Corporate Edition.

Keyfinder helps you recover your product key from your system if you've lost the microsoft sticker, but won't do anything for you if you haven't got a product key already.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast