Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what programs can i get rid of out of these?

SHRUDE's Avatar BRB GTP
    Depending on how you connect to the internet , would depend on what you use for protection , dial up is a different stry to ADSL.

I use ADSL and going to assume you do as well.

If you have a NAT enabled router , IMHO , you dont need a software firewall and least of all you certainly dont need Zone Alarm POS.

this is what i have running , and i havent had a problem since.

NOD32 AV - with Constrictions and Advanced heuristics. Auto updates more than 3 x a day.
    (i used to use Norton for many years , never again , and dont even consider AVG)

on full time active scanning i have"
    Spyware Blocker - (prevents known spyware from even ENTERING your system) Auto Updates 1x a week.
    Windows Defender - Good Alerts on compromising registry and BHO attempts - Auto updates .. approx 4 x week.
    Spyware Doctor Good alerts and software scanner)

Peer Guardian for Azureus.
    Safe Peer for Azureus.

Manual Scanners
    AdAware - Good deep scanner - Auto Updates 1x week
    SpyBot - gets some AdAware Misses - manual update - once a fortnight.

keeps me happy..

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    why do so many ppl down avg? i first had mcafee and that was trash. then i went to nortan and just didn't like it. also, had norton when i had a shit pc and it was a resource hog and then i couldn't get it to update for shit. maybe that's why.. anyway, then i went to avg which i'm still using. avg has never let me down. from what i can tell it has stopped all virus' from getting onto my pc. and when i've opened up some bs i've downloaded and it DID contain some trojans avg has caught it from the get go. personnally i've never had a prob.

i'll get back with u chewie about that pm if i decide to go kaspersky. thank u!

i have heard plenty of good things about nod32 though. btw, i'm on cable and thx for all the input. still doing my research. appreciate it guys.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Retired
    only use peer guardian if you download stuff using public bittorrent trackers or p2p programs (emule/bearshare etc..)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash
    Ad-aware i wouldn't use, i always had troubles with it, it corrupted my drivers for sound & i couldn't burn & besides that it always freezed on some spyware i had. Its one of those programs that lives on its reputation like norton, boath suck. Some ppl even say than Ad-Aware has spyware itself.
    Peer Guardian slows down and i don't think it helps on anything, i had like 20% of my speed on p2p with it when connecting to lots of servers.
    Zone Alarm is good product, it has spyware+antivirus+firewall build inside (but depends what type of ZA) and does not slowdown, it works on all leading sharing programs with no problems. But i would recommend u use some other anti-spyware program besides zone alram also, spybot maybe, its free.
    AVG is just not my thing, i had some problems with sharing and i just never used it too long to tell something good or very bad about it.
    Why would u need ccleaner or pop-up blocker, the only thing i know that doesn't stop pop-ups is IE ;P

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by limesqueezer View Post
    Ad-aware i wouldn't use, i always had troubles with it, it corrupted my drivers for sound & i couldn't burn & besides that it always freezed on some spyware i had. Its one of those programs that lives on its reputation like norton, boath suck. Some ppl even say than Ad-Aware has spyware itself...
    Where on earth do you hear this crap?

...Why would u need ccleaner or pop-up blocker, the only thing i know that doesn't stop pop-ups is IE ;P
    My IE doesn't popup anything unless I OK it.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash
    Well here its mentioned that ad-aware has spyware:
    http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=276463
    http://www3.telus.net/public/a7a55952/pc-tt.htm

Your Internet Explorer blocks pop-ups ? (i really need your special version of IE ;P)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    i've been using ad-aware for quite some time now and i've never seen it add spyware to my pc. never. also, i've tried spybot search and destroy and i can honestly say after running "the newest version" of ad-aware spybot doesn't find anything that ad-aware doesn't. so, i dont' see the hype.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Why would u need ccleaner or pop-up blocker, the only thing i know that doesn't stop pop-ups is IE ;P
    i don't need a pop-up blocker anymore. lol, i haven't did maintainence on my progs on this pc for awhile. i just started going thru them to see if there are better ones and/or updates for them. maybe just get rid of them all together, but for the ones i currently have i can say my pc is running fine with no virus', no spyware, or whatever else problems. i just like to have the most current shit... that is when i have time to do this.

anyway, as for ccleaner. i love that prog. not only does it clean out unwanted cookies it also fixes broken dll and other reg files. that may not really matter, but i like watching it do it. i also use ccleaner to clean out my klmcp after a new install of said prog. seems to work. either way, i like it.

tonite, hopefully i'll have some time to install and use this zone alarm business. i'll give it a go. haven't really acquired enough info from u guys as to rather it's good or not, but enough ppl do use it i guess for me to give it a go. i'll prob just use it's firewall and spyware blocker and leave the antivirus cleaning to my avg.

my avg is the free ver and i've never had any probs with it. never. it auto-updates everything for me all the time and if new virus defs cum out i can redl it to the newest version with no probs and i'm back in the game. that kaspersky does this as well? i've never even heard of this kaspersky. but u guys seem to use it so maybe it has it's benefits. thx.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post
    why do so many ppl down avg? i first had mcafee and that was trash. then i went to nortan and just didn't like it. also, had norton when i had a shit pc and it was a resource hog and then i couldn't get it to update for shit. maybe that's why.. anyway, then i went to avg which i'm still using. avg has never let me down. from what i can tell it has stopped all virus' from getting onto my pc. and when i've opened up some bs i've downloaded and it DID contain some trojans avg has caught it from the get go. personnally i've never had a prob.

i'll get back with u chewie about that pm if i decide to go kaspersky. thank u!

i have heard plenty of good things about nod32 though. btw, i'm on cable and thx for all the input. still doing my research. appreciate it guys.
    avg is popular cos it's free and quite a good a/v.

But, if you want a brilliant a/v then Kaspersky Personal(not pro) is the best, NOD32 is right up there as well.

ZA Pro? ZA Free Edition? All you need from ZoneAlarm is the firewall which rivals any other firewall out there(unless someone knows diferrent?), plus it's free.

Spy/Adware? Spybot and AdAware, won't hurt to use both.

IP Blocker? PeerGuardian. but it may slow you down a bit and is not foolproof, it only blocks "known" bad ip's.(personally I don't bother, been at this for years and not one warning, YET! lol)

A nice little prog you might want to add is HiJackThis(hjt), finds browser hijackers and other little nasties, you need to do your homework with this one but it'll be worth it.

All of these use very little system resources, much less than an "all-in-one" in my experience(don't know why though).

Anyway, that's what I use and recommend apart from PG, never ever had a virus or Trojan get through with this setup, give it a try if you want.

Just my tuppence worth.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    w0w, using this zone alarm business and it sux. slows down boot up, slows down my pc, can't use irc with it enabled, slows down file transfer with messenger, has game mode but that shit don't work either. so, all-in-all it's a pretty shitty prog.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast