Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newsgroups

Benno's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Oni@9 May 2003 - 19:30
    Do a search free alt.freenews.servers......it has plenty of web site and server address's..

try    news.freeserve.com
    no password

regards

Oni 
    thanks but I dont quite get what you mean with
    Do a search free alt.freenews.servers

I tried news.freeserve.com but I cant connect.

Sorry if I'm behaving like a n00b but actually I am one.

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    news.freeserve.com does a line check when you connect
    only freeserve users (like me) can use it
    it's a shame, because i find it to be quite good, mainly for music though, there's not a lot else.

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    When you guys are ready for some serious newsgroup action, check out a good news hoster. I use newshosting.com, but there are lots of them. They give you guaranteed retention of files, muliple connections, and lightning fast servers.
    Proud member of MDS

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    Well, l ks like I got some readin' ta do.

Funny I went to my news server with outlook and found something I wanted. Problem is, each post was 512,000 bytes, thus 30 post per 15mb file, and I guess the average is 45 files to make a full cdr. Aperently what I'm l king at is in 4 parts, thus totaling almost 200 15mb files (3gb or so). Now I thought these posts would be 15mb each, thus needing about 45 per disc, not 45 multiplied by 30 (512,000) posts!!!! If thats true then what I want is 200 parts (15mb each) multiplied by 30 (512,000 each) posts totalling 600 parts. Yikes.

One question that pops to mind, can you open any of these prior to completion (1 full part). Another is time to read. Regarding IRC, funny you guys mention battleing to get a spot in the day as I went nuts being a slow typer, and cut and paste is not quick on my computer which has a touch pad, it really sucked.

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    Reality, you're on the right track. Files are posted to newsgroups as binaries, so they are zipped into equal parts. 15mb is about right for a Rar or Tar file. So a movie would be about 700mb or so, maybe 45 is about right. I download DVD-Rs, full DVD movies, and these are 50mb files, and there are approx 85-90 per movie. Newsgroup servers are really fast, faster than you'll ever get on p2p. Outlook or Outlook Express will get you started, but when you start getting into binaries, or multiple downloads, you'll want a good reader like newzbinPro or Grabit. They allow you to select multiple files, and download many at a time. My server lets me have 8 similtaneous connections, so it doesn't take me long to get a full movie off a newsgroup.

Your question is a little tricky. If the files are RAR, then you can't extract them until you have all the parts. You can double click any file in the archive, and view its contents at any time. B)

Hope that helps. B)
    Proud member of MDS

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    sadly, i can't use any of the pay servers. i live in scotland and only have a debit card, so i can't register

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    Well, I'm readin' now that I have the time. Last time I read a very well put together article on Slyck but got a little over baked after 4 pages.

Then my question still stands, do I need to grab 30 posts to make each 15mb file? Do other severs have solid 1 grab 15mb files? If I need 30 each, it seems like a second job.

By the way Jib, wat da ya tink of the Shareaza? Seemed quick at first but I'm not sure yet as it has froze up on me a couple of times already and speeds now seem slow. I also find the bittorent to be ineffective, as it seems sloppy.

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    First off, if you followed this post up to here, then it is worth doing the little work you will need to. Fact is my average speed, once I figured it out, was about 175KB/s for the actual download (running 4 at a time), not bad. Then an additional 15 minutes or so to extract depending on size. Seems my local newsgroup is decent. I love KL, especially for speed and ease of use, but we all know its last on the list as things are hard to find and download rates seem a little slim lately. Bittorent is nice but troublesome lately. This is one item that will not be leaving my computer soon. I will say everything you need has been mentioned in this post.

By the way DONT try to use Outlook Express or the like, it seems these programs somehow put together the 30 (or whatever) smaller files into one 15mb (as an example) file, they also convert the file into a .rar (again an example), since when I tried the other way I never got beyond having .news files.

Thanks All.

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    i have a newsgroup question, thought i'd post here rather than start a new topic.
    this morning i've been trying to dl some mp3's and nearly all of the files have failed!
    the error is a "sig match duplicate"
    what does this mean?
    any help would be great
    i'm using newsbin pro

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    Originally posted by REALITY@10 May 2003 - 02:51
    Then my question still stands, do I need to grab 30 posts to make each 15mb file? Do other severs have solid 1 grab 15mb files? If I need 30 each, it seems like a second job.

By the way Jib, wat da ya tink of the Shareaza? Seemed quick at first but I'm not sure yet as it has froze up on me a couple of times already and speeds now seem slow. I also find the bittorent to be ineffective, as it seems sloppy.
    You need to get a newsreader, then you can highlight the files you want, and download them with one click.

Shareaza kicks ass. Hasn't frozen up on me, but it took forever to hash 4500 mp3 files. I love the options and the interface, and it has it own media player to boot. The search screen is great, even allowing you to categorize your files and search by release group, etc.

Can't comment on the speed, haven't downloaded anything yet.
    Proud member of MDS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast