Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Got sued for downloading?

gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I was unaware of the DHT setting. I am glad you contributed. Wonder if that was my problem in the first place - doh!!![/QUOTE]

I read somewhere that if DHT is disabled it is more secure. How exactly does it ensure security?
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    DoN BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer4eva View Post
    I read somewhere that if DHT is disabled it is more secure. How exactly does it ensure security?
    That is what I want to know. I have also read in several places that you are secured if DHT is disabled, but how are we secured though by disabling it!

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    DKre8ive1's Avatar L0st N S0und BT Rep: +2
    I am no good at explaining this so I will just give a link to wikipidea and a write up of what DHT is.
    LInk-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_hash_table

And having DHT enable makes you less secure and most private ask that it be turned off because of this.

*A DHT enabled scenrio*
    I wouldnt want to be downloading a file at a private site were you have to keep a ratio and then having the DHT enabled client allow a public tracker to hook up and join the the swarm and basically be taking some of the upload ratio that was meant to be for the private site were ratios mean something and the actual file was gotten from.

*A DHT disabled scenrio*
    you have DHT disabled and you go to private site A and grab a file and now you dont have to worry about other people who are not members getting your info and there lies the "being more safe" factor since only the actuals member of the private site are allowed to connect to you which is what private sites are about right.

Thats two reasons why disabling DHT is safer imho.
    Last edited by DKre8ive1; 08-26-2006 at 07:34 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    Gish's Avatar Seeda from Hell BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    Quote Originally Posted by DKre8ive1 View Post
    I am no good at explaining this so I will just give a link to wikipidea and a write up of what DHT is.
    LInk-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_hash_table

And having DHT enable makes you less secure and most private ask that it be turned off because of this.

*A DHT enabled scenrio*
    I wouldnt want to be downloading a file at a private site were you have to keep a ratio and then having the DHT enabled client allow a public tracker to hook up and join the the swarm and basically be taking some of the upload ratio that was meant to be for the private site were ratios mean something and the actual file was gotten from.

*A DHT disabled scenrio*
    you have DHT disabled and you go to private site A and grab a file and now you dont have to worry about other people who are not members getting your info and there lies the "being more safe" factor since only the actuals member of the private site are allowed to connect to you which is what private sites are about right.

Thats two reasons why disabling DHT is safer imho.
    Well said!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234