Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are private trackers really safe?

j0hn's Avatar leet poster BT Rep: +1
    private trackers are slightly safer, but not totally safe.
    public trackers tend to have more peers, so they are the bigger target.
    also with them being public, anyone can download copyrighted material from them. makes them more of a target also.

alot of private trackers have a small userbase, and stay more out of the spotlight.
    user of private trackers are, in general, smarter. and a much higher percentage will be running peerguardian, or something similar.
    a simple formula would be:

bigger the site + ease of obtaining invite = chances of it being targeted

where a site is hosted can make a difference to them trying to takedown a site. if they do this, and get hold of the server(s), then u could really be screwed. the majority of sites log alot, including:
    files u download
    i.p(s) used
    data transferred (up/down) on each file
    uploaded torrents
    and the list goes on.

but am i worried? do i care? not a damn bit.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    pECi's Avatar ZOMG!! Torrent PLSSS BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    MPAA i don't think it has authority outside the us...RIAA as well...so we're cool
    http://metal.iplay.ro/pic/rmtlogosig.gif

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    lysine's Avatar 49311 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pECi View Post
    MPAA i don't think it has authority outside the us...RIAA as well...so we're cool
    depends on the country. the mpaa and riaa have international equivalents:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Association
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...aphic_Industry

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Melvinmeow View Post
    Same with Scene servers. You can acctually get into alot of scene servers if you throw some money at them as well. Thats why scene always tries rooting out pay to leech sites.
    If you think about it its never 100% foolproof. However alot of the private sites eliminate their searchbots from searching the sites. As well as alot run peerguardian. They arent 100% effective but they do stop more than nothing like that open to public sites many times.
    Agreed .

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    I should expect the Federal Bureau Of Incompetence coming knockin at my door??

Yeah Make them some dinner they will be over at 5:30 sharp.
    Keep the food hot for them.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    For any concerned about getting busted or whatever, just get Peer Guardian 2 to have that peace of mind you're looking for......

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    lysine's Avatar 49311 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by joeybuttawipo View Post
    For any concerned about getting busted or whatever, just get Peer Guardian 2 to have that peace of mind you're looking for......

while I think it offers minimal protection, I don't think it really gives any peace of mind. for eaxmple, there is someone running a tracker full of poisioned torrents, at http://b00bs.hobby-site.com:6969/. if you do a whois on the address, you'll find it's a bellsouth dsl connection. (source: this post) that wouldn't show up on any blocklist, unless someone added it. there's a million connections out there, and it's impossible to block all the 'bad' ones.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    j0hn's Avatar leet poster BT Rep: +1
    if ur concerned about getting busted, then stop file sharing.
    go out and buy the music/software/movies u want to download.
    its really not worth worrying about.
    peerguardian is recommended, and will help a little, but nothing is full proof.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    sun_star's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    In the end it also depends on the country u live in.. is there any law suits against ppl who download or just against websites/heavy sharers... If u have dynamic IP it would be hard to catch u. also depends on the law in yuor country. If i were u i woudn't be so much paranoid... enjoy the p2p while u can coz in a few years (or even more) it might not be there you never know

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    I should expect the Federal Bureau Of Incompetence coming knockin at my door??

that's a good one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast