Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: if it's not fox news, it's not american?

GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    i'll uninform you!

personally i'd say i was more excitable and arrogant. is excitable the word? i dunno.

the intention of these questions is to make you feel stupid if you don't agree. fact.

it doesn't make it ok if someone else did something bad. fact.

news should be about giving you facts and letting you make your own oppinion. <<< let's argue about that line

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins View Post
    news should be about giving you facts and letting you make your own oppinion. <<< let's argue about that line
    I agree and wish we could reliably get just the facts, however the thing is that much of "news media", both TV and radio is made up of opinion shows in a news show format. Opinions are presented as facts. So unless one visits many outlets one may not be exposed to the truth and even then what you decide is the truth may not be.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    I agree and wish we could reliably get just the facts, however the thing is that much of "news media", both TV and radio is made up of opinion shows in a news show format. Opinions are presented as facts. So unless one visits many outlets one may not be exposed to the truth and even then what you decide is the truth may not be.
    i wanna hear j2k4 agree with you now

i don't actually know how it works in the US but on british TV they tend to introduce guests by thier oppinion. channels and serious programs tend to play thier position as a balanced platform. this doesn't seem to be what fox was doing because the ticker at the bottom (which i consider to be the companies foundations to seat the program in) was showing an oppinion rather than a topic.

bad analogy but i'm right

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post

With vid's sentiment as stated, I can and will agree.

If, however, vid at some later date chooses to reproduce that statement but opts to substitute such as "Foxnews" and "conservativetalkradio" for "news media", "TV and radio", or "outlets", then I rescind my agreement.

Again, I will leave the digestion of his regular presentation to those he thinks can't sort his tactics-people like you, The.

He just pulled the wool over your eyes, and you thanked him for doing it.

As for your disinclination to flesh out your own personal on-board database, you may substitute the word ignorance for your own choice of the word "arrogance".

Even vid has forgotten considerably more than you will ever know.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    in that case ...............

In the US most "opinion shows", the vast majority in fact are leaning to the right wing, and although I freely admit that there is bias on left leaning opinion shows, the fact is that such shows are just a drop in the ocean of commentary and in no way whatsoever balance propaganda out.

I will define bias as only reporting bad things about "the opposition" and good things about "your side"

In the video i linked to they were complaining about the reporting that tom delay is accused of doing suspect things and breaking the law..... then complaining that the media didn't cover laws he did not break.
    That is not bias, that is reporting the news that they don't like.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

With vid's sentiment as stated, I can and will agree.

If, however, vid at some later date chooses to reproduce that statement but opts to substitute such as "Foxnews" and "conservativetalkradio" for "news media", "TV and radio", or "outlets", then I rescind my agreement.

Again, I will leave the digestion of his regular presentation to those he thinks can't sort his tactics-people like you, The.

He just pulled the wool over your eyes, and you thanked him for doing it.

As for your disinclination to flesh out your own personal on-board database, you may substitute the word ignorance for your own choice of the word "arrogance".

Even vid has forgotten considerably more than you will ever know.
    where did he pull the wool over my eyes?

i like the mind games in here, but only when i know i'm playing them. is "thinks can't sort his tactics" flattery or an insult

it might just be me but i see the overlay on news channels as a seperate thing to the programming. kind of like how the GUI on your internet browser is nothing to do with the website you're browsing. the overlay should show the topic not a bullying statement.

btw how can a station called "conservativetalkradio" not mix oppinion shows into the programming?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Foxnews could more accurately be called the republican media dept.
    It is undeniably bias. It is what it is and all the "oh but this report on this other outlet wasn't kind to bush shows left wing bias" isn't going to change what foxnews is.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    If you're still in denial about Foxnews, watch this.
    http://www.outfoxed.org/

Also, http://www.democracynow.org/article....6/08/16/148232

"We can no longer work with a news organization that claims to be fair and balanced when you are so far from that."

"Not only are you an instrument of the Bush White House, and Israeli propaganda, you are war mongers with no sense of decency, nor professionalism."

Jon Stewart
    Last edited by ahctlucabbuS; 09-17-2006 at 05:45 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by ahctlucabbuS View Post
    If you're still in denial about Foxnews, watch this.
    http://www.outfoxed.org/

Also, http://www.democracynow.org/article....6/08/16/148232

"We can no longer work with a news organization that claims to be fair and balanced when you are so far from that."

"Not only are you an instrument of the Bush White House, and Israeli propaganda, you are war mongers with no sense of decency, nor professionalism."

Jon Stewart
    From your link:

Serene Sabbagh, freelance TV producer who has worked with CNN, ABC News, Al Jazeera and Fox News. She joins us on the line from Amman, Jordan.

SERENE SABBAGH: After three years and watching their coverage, I thought I could make a difference working with them. I could influence some of the people that are coming into the region...

What business has a producer got trying to influence anything?

She obviously has divided loyalties and an agenda, to boot.

Though I'm sure that's okay with you, it is not proper.

Please try harder.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Could it not be about trying to remove preconceptions?

Is the news supposed to be based on loyalties or facts?
    Last edited by vidcc; 09-17-2006 at 08:41 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast