Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: where do smells go?

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    Where do smells go?

Lets say a skunk sprays and it gets stinky for a bit. Then the smellll goes away. Where did the smell go?
    Are all smells trapped some place? Do they all exist but are masked by smells other things put off?
    Does smell rise like hot air?
    I imagine the active agent in the chemical in skunk spray emitting the smell dies off thus cutting off the smell.

Try getting you or your pet sprayed by a skunk , then say that .

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

I imagine the active agent in the chemical in skunk spray emitting the smell dies off thus cutting off the smell.

Try getting you or your pet sprayed by a skunk , then say that .
    Hey I guess it's a really active agent....the 007 of smells and whatnot.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    the skunk sprays a particular chemical that causes the stink. the chemical floating in the air eventually dissipates and disperses to such a low concentration that you can no longer smell it. eventually, it breaks down and stops smelling all together. if you get some of the chemical on you, that's a whole lot worse- not only is it not going to disperse because it is stuck to you, water doesn't do a good job of taking it off. in fact it will make it worse. eventually, the skunk chemicals will break down and stop smelling. however, if it gets wet, it reactivates and starts stinking again. evil evil stuff.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    The smell, which is most likely some nitrogen compound, becomes a gas due to sublimation I think. Haven't taken enough chemistry yet
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Forum Chemist
    sublimation. Sublimation is change in phase from solid to gas.

There are several reasons smells go away, the most notable being the Second Law of Thermodynamics (all things in the universe tend to disorder). The smell dissipates because the individual molecules "want" to get away from each other. The force from the wind definitely helps as well. Also, the reason we don't smell it forever is because the sensory nerves are transient--so you don't smell that fart 3 weeks later and have trouble smelling other things.

Also, molecules don't simply "break down." They may form new compounds with other molecules if the First Law of Thermodynamics (energy is conserved) allows it (i.e. they will react exothermically and come to a lower Energy state). The only way to "break down" a molecule is to photolyze it with high-energy photons or bombard it with neutrons etc.
    Last edited by elitistpig; 09-27-2006 at 04:55 PM.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by ibnuts View Post

There are several reasons smells go away, the most notable being the Second Law of Thermodynamics (all things in the universe tend to disorder). The smell dissipates because the individual molecules "want" to get away from each other. The force from the wind definitely helps as well. Also, the reason we don't smell it forever is because the sensory nerves are transient--so you don't smell that fart 3 weeks later and have trouble smelling other things.

Also, molecules don't simply "break down." They may form new compounds with other molecules if the First Law of Thermodynamics (energy is conserved) allows it (i.e. they will react exothermically and come to a lower Energy state). The only way to "break down" a molecule is to photolyze it with high-energy photons or bombard it with neutrons etc.
    We've reviewed your application and you're hired.

Wages are non-existent and non-negotiable.

Your probationary period ends in 60 days-you're to work the 2300-0700 (GMT) shift.

Change your profile to Forum Chemist immediately.

Did you really work for Saddam?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #17
    CrabGirl's Avatar Sexpest
    The only way to "break down" a molecule is to photolyze it with high-energy photons or bombard it with neutrons etc.
    Doesn't the etc negate the only in that sentence.

What do enzymes do then?
    This pump dispenses gasoline, a fossil fuel. People who believe fossils are not real should put something else in their tanks.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by CrabGirl View Post
    The only way to "break down" a molecule is to photolyze it with high-energy photons or bombard it with neutrons etc.
    Doesn't the etc negate the only in that sentence.

What do enzymes do then?
    My, you are a quality burd.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!

You da man.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilmiss View Post
    I like the smell of skunk.
    Me too

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast