Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you like to view your Divx/Xvid files?

Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    I found this on the Philips player

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=675600

@Kace - do you have a HDTV? I want to know the quality of the upconversion on the Philips 5960.

The USB idea is great! Hell I'd never burn DivX/XviD movies again nor would I bother with tivoing non-HD content.

I need the tivo hard drive space for real HD shows.

Great thread, btw.

2. Movies & TV   -   #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

@Kace - do you have a HDTV? I want to know the quality of the upconversion on the Philips 5960.

The USB idea is great! Hell I'd never burn DivX/XviD movies again nor would I bother with tivoing non-HD content.

Great thread, btw.
    Yeah, I read that thread before I bought the DVD player. Mine works great...I did have to d/l and update the firmware on the DVD player though to play DTS when using the HDMI and Coax outputs on the DVD player...but that took all of 5 mins and it works great now.

I have a 42" HD Plasma (Phillips also) and although I don't have much to compare this DVD player to since I've used my PS2 as my DVD player up until now...I must say that the upconverting does work and does look sharp on my TV. Even if it isn't top notch, for the price of the 5960, the ease of use with DivX and the USB port, I can justify purchasing this DVD player. I know once the HD/Blu-Ray players become more reasonable in price, I'll be picking one of them up anyways. I use the 5960 more for DivX then for DVD's anyways.

Also, fyi, since I only have an old 128mb usb flash drive, I use my Compact Flash card reader with a 1 gig CF card in it as my usb drive and it works great when watching one or two episodes at a time.

Let me know if u have any other questions, I'll be glad to try and help answer them for u.

3. Movies & TV   -   #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Kace View Post

Great thread, btw.
    Yeah, I read that thread before I bought the DVD player. Mine works great...I did have to d/l and update the firmware on the DVD player though to play DTS when using the HDMI and Coax outputs on the DVD player...but that took all of 5 mins and it works great now.

I have a 42" HD Plasma (Phillips also) and although I don't have much to compare this DVD player to since I've used my PS2 as my DVD player up until now...I must say that the upconverting does work and does look sharp on my TV. Even if it isn't top notch, for the price of the 5960, the ease of use with DivX and the USB port, I can justify purchasing this DVD player. I know once the HD/Blu-Ray players become more reasonable in price, I'll be picking one of them up anyways. I use the 5960 more for DivX then for DVD's anyways.

Also, fyi, since I only have an old 128mb usb flash drive, I use my Compact Flash card reader with a 1 gig CF card in it as my usb drive and it works great when watching one or two episodes at a time.

Let me know if u have any other questions, I'll be glad to try and help answer them for u.
    Thank mang.

I've been thinking whether I should get an HD-DVD player (since they upconvert also) but I don't know if there is one with USB ports on it.

The Oppo player (without the USB) is the best upconverting player out there and I've wondering whether to get the one with USB.

The thing is that it doesn't have the Faroudja chip. It uses Mediatek.

Do you notice many artifacts when you upconvert DivX/XviD content? I just want the best possible picture when watching this stuff. I saved many shows that I've downloaded just to watch them in (upconverted) HD and would hold off burning them to disc if I can send them to USB.

Btw, for anyone wanting a simple DivX DVD player, the Philips DVP-642 is only $40 at Circuit City now. That's great for non-HDTVs.

4. Movies & TV   -   #34

Thank mang.

I've been thinking whether I should get an HD-DVD player (since they upconvert also) but I don't know if there is one with USB ports on it.

The Oppo player (without the USB) is the best upconverting player out there and I've wondering whether to get the one with USB.

Do you notice many artifacts when you upconvert DivX/XviD content? I just want the best possible picture when watching this stuff. I saved many shows that I've downloaded just to watch them in (upconverted) HD and would hold off burning them to disc if I can send them to USB.

Btw, for anyone wanting a simple DivX DVD player, the Philips DVP-642 is only $40 at Circuit City now. That's great for non-HDTVs.
    About the artifacts and quality of the DivX files, I don't notice or see any artifacts and as I said before, when comparing the quality I don't have much to compare to since I use to use my PS2 as my main DVD player.

However, when I compare watching the show Jericho on my satellite in HD and watching DivX on the 5960, there is very little difference noticed. I think it looks better then SDTV, but not as good as HDTV. If you understand what I'm saying.

My recommendation would be to try the 5960, if it meets your expectations then it's really good bang for your buck, if you don't like it, u could just return it.

5. Movies & TV   -   #35

Thank mang.

About the artifacts and quality of the DivX files, I don't notice or see any artifacts and as I said before, when comparing the quality I don't have much to compare to since I use to use my PS2 as my main DVD player.

However, when I compare watching the show Jericho on my satellite in HD and watching DivX on the 5960, there is very little difference noticed. I think it looks better then SDTV, but not as good as HDTV. If you understand what I'm saying.

My recommendation would be to try the 5960, if it meets your expectations then it's really good bang for your buck, if you don't like it, u could just return it.
    I just bought one and am about to hook it up. Funny you mentioned Jericho. I've missed many episodes and have most of them downloaded (although I just noticed CBS has it on On Demand ) I got it for $80 and have to send in a $20 rebate form.

I mainly wanted make sure that it'll upconvert DivX and XviD.

I understand it's not as good as HD but better than SD simply it's upconverted and not native 720p/1080i.

6. Movies & TV   -   #36
    Am I the only one with an Xbox w/XBMC ? No need to burn & store discs. 3x 300gB drives in external USB cases attached to PC streaming to the box via Samba share plus an internal 300gB drive. 1.2 terabytes on tap works well. Component cable to the plasma display = anamorphic goodness. I've yet to meet a video file that XBMC won't play back on the telly. CBF with file conversion etc.

7. Movies & TV   -   #37
    Quote Originally Posted by siik View Post
    Am I the only one with an Xbox w/XBMC ? No need to burn & store discs. 3x 300gB drives in external USB cases attached to PC streaming to the box via Samba share plus an internal 300gB drive. 1.2 terabytes on tap works well. Component cable to the plasma display = anamorphic goodness. I've yet to meet a video file that XBMC won't play back on the telly. CBF with file conversion etc.
    Actually I have a Xbox with XMBC. The only problem is when it upconverts, it puts black bars on the top and bottom. It is also inconvenient to have my main desktop downstairs where my big screen is.

I guess I could have transferred the files wireless to it but hadn't even tried to work that out. There is also my laptop that I could have wireless transferred to and then USBed to the Xbox but again, I hadn't tried.

I wish I had a bigger HD in my Xbox. It's 200 GB and filled with games that I don't even play.

8. Movies & TV   -   #38
    i convert them to dvd format using tmpgenc besweet and tmpgenc dvd author, then if a friend wants a copy its universally compatible

i also have a hardware divx dvd player for quick viewing

9. Movies & TV   -   #39
    I just bought one and am about to hook it up. Funny you mentioned Jericho. I've missed many episodes and have most of them downloaded (although I just noticed CBS has it on On Demand ) I got it for $80 and have to send in a $20 rebate form.

I understand it's not as good as HD but better than SD simply it's upconverted and not native 720p/1080i.
    Nice, let me know what u think of it...I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. Be sure to upgrade the firmware via the link in the AVSforums link u posted earlier.

10. Movies & TV   -   #40

Nice, let me know what u think of it...I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. Be sure to upgrade the firmware via the link in the AVSforums link u posted earlier.
    It looks great. I watched a piece of Firefly on it.

I was going to ask you what are the advantages of upgrading the firmware besides getting DTS through HDMI?

Btw I noticed that the firmware update says UK. When I look under US I get a file not found for the page.

edit: nvm when I change the country to US, it's the same file. Downloading now!
    Last edited by Busyman™; 10-20-2006 at 06:59 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast