Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can your ISP see what trackers you connect to using torrents?

gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I am not a heavy downloader myself and some months i download probably just like 5GB-10GB. I know of some that download like 300-400GB monthly. I was just curious but i guess its all true because they are actually providing my services.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

2. BitTorrent   -   #12

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Danny8II8 View Post
    What if the MPAA of FBI or RAA and w/e else there is decide to demand logs on users of certain ISP providers to get peoople in trouble
    Could they do that?
    Yes, they could. But due to privacy laws, it is not easy.

They either pressurise your ISP to give out your info and Internet activities. If your ISP gives out this info without your consent (you might be able to counter sue or use it against them if it ever goes to court). You may still sue the ISP even if the contract says your ISP can give out information on you without your consent.

The formal way is to ask the court to subpoena your ISP and force them to give out your personal information. If the court says okay, your ISP has to give out the information. They will contact you about that.

But different countries differ in law. You should check it yourself to make sure your ISP won't be easy to betray you.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gamer4eva View Post
    I was just curious but i guess its all true because they are actually providing my services.
    Your ISP is the ultimate spy. You are doomed if they are givng out your information to anti-P2P companies.

One method I could think of is encryption. Encrypt all your data traffic. Your ISP only knows where you go to/from, but they don't know the content of your traffic (unless they know how to crack the encryption or decrypt your traffic). Sharing in the encrypted (but dead slow) channel is probably the safest bet.
    Last edited by bootsum; 10-19-2006 at 04:55 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    There's no doubt they can see trackers that i use.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Can they even tell what forums you go on and read this post lol?
    I know there are anti privacy laws and I'v heard about those kind of countersuits but still theres always the chance of your isp giving your information to people that will try to use it against you so how do I encrypt the channel my data flows through?

6. BitTorrent   -   #16

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Danny8II8 View Post
    Can they even tell what forums you go on and read this post lol?
    Why not?

They know any website you have visited. This thead is no exception

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Aaron_T's Avatar A duck is watching.
    Isp's do not know what websites we go on and they cannot see what we are doing, all they can see is the amount you are downloading.
    Those who dont learn from the past are doomed to repeat It.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_T View Post
    Isp's do not know what websites we go on and they cannot see what we are doing, all they can see is the amount you are downloading.
    so true !

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Since FST doesn't use secure connections your ISP could read anything you transmit to it.
    They'd need to be actively monitoring you for some reason first, of course, but it's folly to say they can't see it if they want to.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

10. BitTorrent   -   #20

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_T View Post
    Completely wrong.
    Please learn how the Internet infrastructure works first.

It is the ISP who provides you Internet access.
    When you access to a website or download a website, your request is processed through your ISP. They will have logs about this.

In closed society like China and North Korea, the ISPs will co-operate with the government to monitor citizens' activities on the Internet. They control what information they can receive. If you are caught doing any anti-government activities on the Internet, the government will arrest you.
    Last edited by bootsum; 10-21-2006 at 08:37 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast