Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RNC Presidential Campaign Slogan for '08

Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    Spin aside....... Wasn't there something about the refusal to co-operate with weapons inspectors and them being ejected from iraq?

"Their mission is to attack Iraq's nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs and its military capacity to threaten its neighbors"
    Hmm.

[cavuto]Seeing as Iraq had none of the above by the time Bush ordered our troops in, perhaps the Clinton ordered attacks were effective? [\cavuto]
    Perhaps. However, I think the timing was more than a cowinkydinky.

I did like that Clinton chose our air might over numerous ground troops (not saying we didn't use ground troops also).

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    I'd like you to tell me the downs of the Clinton years compared to the ups of the GW years.

I dare ya.
    A partisan might say Bush's difficulties stem from Clinton's failings and make the argument stick.

Clinton gave away the technical farm plus great wodges of cash and luchre to the North Koreans in exchange for worthless concessions and a large pack of lies.

Clinton didn't do anything much to nail UBL, even with 8 or 10 genuine opportunities, and that's a fact.

Bush is left to deal with both of those items.

One might even say the immigration issue is partially Clinton's doing as well, since that only seriously came to light as part of the foregoing border security problem attributable to enlightened thoughts about terrorism since 9/11.

If 9/11 had happened on Clinton's watch, I imagine the border security issue and immigration in general would be in the same sorry state, because he sure wouldn't have done anything.

Clinton did preside over a reasonably successful welfare reform, but only after having it jammed down his throat by the Republicans.

His efforts vis a vis mideast peace were an utter failure.

He chased sincerely ugly females.

He sent troops into several no-win situations, and "Blackhawk Down" is his debit.

He launched missiles to "send a message" that was never received.

He was at the head of a large pack of Democrats who preached against Saddam and his WMD.

I honestly can't think of anything brilliant he did; of course, I'm sure others disagree.

I'd like to hear someone make a case for a positive "Bill Clinton as President" story...

I'd really like to know what kind of dirt Sandy Berger was trying to smuggle out of the National Archive in his socks and underwear...must have been awfully embarrassing stuff...
    Last edited by j2k4; 10-20-2006 at 01:56 AM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    I'd like you to tell me the downs of the Clinton years compared to the ups of the GW years.

I dare ya.
    A partisan might say Bush's difficulties stem from Clinton's failings and make the argument stick.

Clinton gave away the technical farm plus great wodges of cash and luchre to the North Koreans in exchange for worthless concessions and a large pack of lies.

Clinton didn't anything much to nail UBL, even with 8 or 10 genuine opportunities, and that's a fact.

One might even say the immigration issue is partially Clinton's doing as well, since that only seriously came to light as part of the foregoing border security problem attributable to enlightened thoughts about terrorism since 9/11.

If 9/11 had happened on Clinton's watch, I imagine the border security issue and immigration in general would be in the same sorry state, because he sure wouldn't have done anything.

Clinton did preside over a reasonably successful welfare reform, but only after having it jammed down his throat by the Republicans.

He sent troops into several no-win situations, and "Blackhawk Down" is his debit.

He was at the head of a large pack of Democrats who preached against Saddam and his WMD.

I honestly can't think of anything brilliant he did; of course, I'm sure others disagree.

I'd like to hear someone make a case for a positive "Bill Clinton as President" story...

I'd really like to know what kind of dirt Sandy Berger was trying to smuggle out of the National Archive in his socks and underwear...must have been awfully embarrassing stuff...
    Good job! I might not agree with many of them but you gets kudos for stepping up (much better than Skizo I might add).......

Now do GW Bush. What I mean is those were the downs of Clinton. Give me the ups of Bush.

You couldn't name anything brilliantly done by ole Will Clint. What of Bush's brilliance?

Clint had Cuba, Bosnia, North Korea, Haiti, Russia, Somalia, and Iraq. Bush had 9/11 and forced Iraq.

I'd say that the current Iraq debacle trumps all Clints foreign miscues. It's effect is touching the entire world and not in a good way.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 10-19-2006 at 02:30 AM.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

I dare ya.

Clinton didn't anything much to nail UBL, even with 8 or 10 genuine opportunities, and that's a fact.

Let us not forget the hundred plus pardons he handed out to bombers, drug traffickers, con artists and his own brother of course.

yo

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post

Let us not forget the hundred plus pardons he handed out to bombers, drug traffickers, con artists and his own brother of course.
    I never liked the idea of a President pardoning anyone unless it involved a death penalty.

The pardons themselves are not alarming when I compare them with many in history. It was the shear number of them that was alarming. I think he doled out 150 pardons on his last day of office and had about 400 total.

That's just fucking reeediculous. The number alone should make Presidential pardons obsolete.

Good one, Skidz.

I remember Bush Sr. pardoning folks from the Iran/Contra scandal. Why do we keep such a corrupt ass rule? Oh I know, I figure Congress made the rule.

edit: Wow, the President only has 1 limit to pardoning power. You can't pardon the impeached.

The fucking rules need to be changed. There is nothing to say that the President can't accept money for the pardons....even openly.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 10-19-2006 at 04:17 AM.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    rjfan's Avatar Rosebud...
    Busyman...I refer you to Article II Sec 1[7]. The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be encreased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them....also Sec IV The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by rjfan View Post
    Busyman...I refer you to Article II Sec 1[7]. The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be encreased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them....also Sec IV The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.
    Gotcha, basically....if a President is gonna pardon someone for money, he should do it on his last day in office.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Just a little excerpt from Wiki:

All were part of the mass pardon on Clinton's last day.

• Carlos Vignali was pardoned for cocaine trafficking.
    • Almon Glenn Braswell was pardoned of his mail fraud and perjury convictions, even while a federal investigation was underway regarding additional money laundering and tax evasion charges. Braswell and Carlos Vignali each paid approximately $200,000 to First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton's brother, Hugh Rodham, to "represent" their respective cases for clemency. Hugh Rodham returned the payments after they were disclosed to the public. Braswell would later invoke the Fifth Amendment at a Senate Committee hearing in 2001, when questioned about allegations of his having systematically defrauded senior citizens of millions of dollars.
    • Marc Rich, a fugitive, was pardoned of tax evasion, after clemency pleas from Israeli prime minister Ehud Barak, among many other international luminaries. Denise Rich, Marc's former wife, was a close friend of the Clintons and had made substantial donations to both Clinton's library and Hillary's Senate campaign. Several months after her last donation, emails reveal Republican attorney "Scooter" Libby asked her to approach Clinton about pardoning Marc Rich. Clinton agreed to a pardon that required Marc Rich to pay a $100,000,000 fine before he could return to the United States. According to Paul Volcker's independent investigation of Iraqi Oil-for-Food kickback schemes, Marc Rich was a middleman for several suspect Iraqi oil deals involving over 4 million barrels of oil.
    • Susan McDougal, who had already completed her sentence, was pardoned for her role in the Whitewater scandal; McDougal had served 18 months on contempt charges for refusing to testify about Clinton's role.
    • Roger Clinton, the president's half-brother, on drug charges. Roger Clinton would be charged with drunk driving and disorderly conduct in an unrelated incident within a year of the pardon. He was also briefly alleged to have been utilized in lobbying for the Braswell pardon, among others.

yo

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by rjfan View Post
    Gotcha, basically....if a President is gonna pardon someone for money, he should do it on his last day in office.
    God alone knows what sort of hijinx and tomfoolery Bush will be getting up to on his last day.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post

God alone knows what sort of hijinx and tomfoolery Bush will be getting up to on his last day.
    Maybe. I doubt anyone would approach Clinton's degree of pardons.

There should be an uproar about even allowing pardons.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast