Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Me Or Xp

After using win 98 se for so long i did not wan't to change, But now after using Xp pro for some time i would not go back.
    Xp is a bit hungry, And at first i said it was crap, But i found it was the user, Now we are as one, And it's great!!!!
    The idiosyncratic syntax of riddles interests me

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    There's one thing that XP is worse than Win9x. If you have a program or programs that take up too much processor power you can not close them down by using the Task Manager. The task manager doesn't get extra CPU time by the OS. With Win98 all you need to do is press ctrl-alt-del once and at most wait a couple of secs then terminate the app you want killed. With XP this may never happen and you may have to reset the computer and lose all your unsaved work!. Has happened to me a couple of times, and did happen today when a debugger caused task manager to slow down to a crawl.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Poster
    I would choose ME, if I wanted to stay in the stone age with all of those crashes and OS bugs.

Ever wonder why XP came out so quickly, right after ME? Easier for Microsoft to rebuild than to fix.

I recommend XP!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Well people....looks like there's more for xp than against.

So it looks like im going to put xp onto my comp.

The only problem that i have now, is that one of my colleges at work today told me to put xp proffessional onto my comp and not xp corp.....His reason for saying so is cus it has problems with alot of programmes....is this true or is it baloney?

P.S I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your feedback,its been very intresting to read and very helpful to me......cheers all

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    BANNED
    i was just gonna throw one in for ME then aswell
    even throught i'm usin xppro corp

i think the corp means u don't need to avtivate it with micrcsoft or
    vice versa

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Poster
    The only problem that i have now, is that one of my colleges at work today told me to put xp proffessional onto my comp and not xp corp.....His reason for saying so is cus it has problems with alot of programmes....is this true or is it baloney?
    It's baloney. The only difference between Pro and Corp is that Corp is already activated. Use the Corp edition.

Get yourself a new Corp key if you intend to install Service Pack 1.

I really don't understand what the confusion is all about when it comes to XP. XP is the current Microsoft OS. XP has been around for 1.5 years already. I have been using it for all of the 1.5 years. And it's stable (finally).

Win9x is being dropped according to Microsoft. The only reason someone might want to use Windows 98 SE (Not ME) is if your PC is too old to run XP or you want to play some old games that XP won't run. (not many).

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Ex-member
    Get yourself a new Corp key if you intend to install Service Pack 1.
    DO not pay any attention to the above statement!
    Instead check out my verified copy of xp corp with sp1 integrated; it's pinned at the top of 'verified hashes'. There's also a link in my reply about 7 posts ago.

The only reason someone might want to use Windows 98 SE (Not ME) is if your PC is too old to run XP or you want to play some old games that XP won't run. (not many). 
    Or if you want to game but don't have much RAM!

WinXP kicks ass for stability though - I've not had it hang completely on me yet!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Poster
    Originally posted by random nut@13 May 2003 - 18:58
    There's one thing that XP is worse than Win9x. If you have a program or programs that take up too much processor power you can not close them down by using the Task Manager. The task manager doesn't get extra CPU time by the OS. With Win98 all you need to do is press ctrl-alt-del once and at most wait a couple of secs then terminate the app you want killed. With XP this may never happen and you may have to reset the computer and lose all your unsaved work!. Has happened to me a couple of times, and did happen today when a debugger caused task manager to slow down to a crawl.
    that has happend to me too. very annoying. one time when i simply refused to press reset, cause i had not yet saved my work in another program. after ~20 minutes was i able to shut down the faulty program!
    soo, if you have ALOT of patience, you might not have to press reset...

this is however the only problem i have had with XP.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Poster
    Originally posted by mushmush+13 May 2003 - 14:38--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mushmush @ 13 May 2003 - 14:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Paul_NFFC@13 May 2003 - 01:17
    Originally posted by -mushmush@12 May 2003 - 18:21
    <!--QuoteBegin--Paul_NFFC
    @12 May 2003 - 18:10
    more fool you if your sticking with ME

its like asking should i get a pentium celeron 733mhz processor or a pentium 4 3.06ghz

but your choice

Thanks paul that makes me feel better.

anyway good luck on thursday&#33;

thanks sheffield united gonna get there ass kicked

you a football fan then? who do you support? (please dont say sheff utd)
    I live in DERBY

Need i say more... [/b][/quote]
    noooooooo..your not a direby fan are you??

forest 3 - 0 derby

fuck Derby County

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by ugluk+13 May 2003 - 21:50--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ugluk @ 13 May 2003 - 21:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--random nut@13 May 2003 - 18:58
    There&#39;s one thing that XP is worse than Win9x. If you have a program or programs that take up too much processor power you can not close them down by using the Task Manager. The task manager doesn&#39;t get extra CPU time by the OS. With Win98 all you need to do is press ctrl-alt-del once and at most wait a couple of secs then terminate the app you want killed. With XP this may never happen and you may have to reset the computer and lose all your unsaved work&#33;. Has happened to me a couple of times, and did happen today when a debugger caused task manager to slow down to a crawl.
    that has happend to me too. very annoying. one time when i simply refused to press reset, cause i had not yet saved my work in another program. after ~20 minutes was i able to shut down the faulty program&#33;
    soo, if you have ALOT of patience, you might not have to press reset...

this is however the only problem i have had with XP. [/b][/quote]
    Yeah but if that had been Win98, it might have been a BSOD&#33;

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast