Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2 Cents

GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene View Post
    That is true yes, but I think when it comes to gaming systems the definition is there and not just a normal next in line generation thing.
    For instance, no one would class the Sega saturn as next gen, but by your logic it is.
    Difficult argument really, one which I couldn't find an answer to on google

Although I did come accross this, kind of ironic given the arguments.

Urban dictionary, 7th example of the definition of "Next Generation"

The Nintendo Wii

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...ext+generation

Jonno
    yeah, because the sega saturn is being released this month

we're moving from the 6th generation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth_generation_consoles

to the 7th generation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_generation_consoles

so for anyone playing anything from the 6th generation, the 7th generation is the next generation, or "next gen" if you will.

i hope that cleared up the confusion

2. Games   -   #32
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins View Post
    That is true yes, but I think when it comes to gaming systems the definition is there and not just a normal next in line generation thing.
    For instance, no one would class the Sega saturn as next gen, but by your logic it is.

The Nintendo Wii

Jonno
    yeah, because the sega saturn is being released this month

we're moving from the 6th generation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth_generation_consoles

to the 7th generation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_generation_consoles

so for anyone playing anything from the 6th generation, the 7th generation is the next generation, or "next gen" if you will.

i hope that cleared up the confusion
    Yeah, that's pretty much the industry definition of the "generations". You can argue that the Wii is a poor example of a 7th gen console but you can't argue it isn't a 7th gen console, that'd be mental.

So really, given that all the 7th gen consoles are out now, a "next-gen" console would be an 8th gen console. Something we won't see until like 2012...

3. Games   -   #33
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    [QUOTE=Jon L. Obscene;1586126]Pretty much, IMO a next-gen system is one which upgrades everything which Sony have done, graphics, cpu, sound, memory, drives, periferals, media, design, extra's, online etc etc etc the list goes on, the only thing 360 did was graphics, cpu and sound and made stick on skins for the front.

I say it's sound, graphics, cpu. This affects how it looks, it sounds, and how fast it computes. If you bump those 3 up a decent notch, that's next-gen. Everything else is secondary.

If there are 2 systems but one has a bigger drive, big hootie if their games look, play, and sounds the same. The same goes for whether it uses SD slots versus it's own proprietary slots.

And actually one should include the online component in the next-gen discussion. The Xbox has had a robust online component for years and now it's better.

DVD was already out for years.
    Yes but look at the price of it when the PS2 came out, up until maybe 2 years ago dvd media and hardware was expensive.

Not as expensive as Blu-Ray media......not by a longshot.

I did say that.

Yeah cuz that wasn't the same at all. I was simply saying that Sony would win regardless if the 360's game quality was on par with it. Again, Sony has the huge base.
    This is true but there's is a reason for that..because the PS systems are better!

No PS systems were first and have always maintained a lead.

GTA VC's graphics were not great at all. FFX had great cutscenes. They both were no powerhouses.
    I never said GTA had wonderful graphics.
    And I'm sorry but they were both huge powerhouses, FFX was the biggest game to date with the best visual arts and GTA VC was GTA 3 but twice as big in every way.

They weren't graphical powerhouses. They were large games.

I don't know if concentrating on graphics shorted the game since it also plays well. However, they could have had the game perfect if:

1. They shoulda nixed Casual mode. The game is too easy that way and people will always start there for there first impression. They shoulda called it easy. I woulda skipped it then. Insane mode is excellent. In some cases, 3shots and you're dead. It is the perfect difficulty. Locusts are harder to take down. They are monsters they are supposed to be and not just soldiers with different skin.
    Agreed 100%

I don't know how it took you even 10 hrs to complete. I finished the game in two long sittings....but that might just be my higher skill level.
    What do you call a long sitting? 2-3 hrs
    I don't actually know how long it took, I included while it was on so that includes piss breaks, drink breaks, homework help breaks etc.

2. They shoulda had at least 2 more levels. The game ending on the train was a bummer. (it was a nice level though)
    Yeah agreed, interesting and fun level but not a "Final" level by any means.
    We see that all too often in games of late.

AND WHY THE FUCK YOU DIDN'T GET TO FIGHT THE BROMAK!
    Yeah would have made a good pre-final boss.

There were robberies and camping out for the 360. Sony learned from M$ about having shortages to stir up hoopla on a system. The people also learned.

For instance, I learned to get myself some PS3s since I didn't think of getting in on the 360 craze. 360 profit selling was going strong for 2 months after it launched. People remember that and jumped in (and also robbed) to get on the next bandwagon.
    Thats actually a good point well made.

Okayyyyy....The PS2 didn't come out when DVDs came out. I think it was 3 years after. In the current case, they are bringing out a format with the system.

That's a big difference.
    This is true but I still don't think it will take as long to come down in price because the interest will be higher. And like I said above, dvds were still at a very high price when the PS2 came out, I guess it's another thing only time will tell.

1st law of greed and business - you sell for what you think you can get. If tooooo many jump on the current price tag....it'll remain high. Ever notice that Halo was one of few games that didn't go down in price for a long time?

Keep in mind that Sony loses money on every sale of the PS3 so they will try to sustain the current price point as long as possible and drop when sales wane a bit.

I haven't beat Resistance yet. Now if that game is the same length than GOW then what? The graphics are on par with GOW if not slightly worse.
    Well like I've said lots of times, Resistance is a Launch title, GOW is the flagship 1 year on. And from what I've heard resistance is a fair bit longer.

@The..... Of course the 360 pwns the Nintendo Urine.
    I reckon Nintendo will be the next giant to be knocked off the gaming platform and the only thing that might save it is it's apeal to children because there are more kids games on the system.

@Mildthrill.... No, the wii is not a next gen system and no the hand thingies are nothing new as BM said, hell I had a light gun 20 years ago for my spectrum, it's the same thing.

Jonno
    It is a bit different though. It's like a light gun with a broader spectrum.

The Xavix was doing the same thing though.

4. Games   -   #34

The Nintendo Wii

Jonno
    Plus many called the Wii, Gamecube 1.5.

I have said that really all it adds is a new controller and a (so far) weak online component.

The graphics bump is akin to a same generation graphics cards by the same manufacturer but one is $50 more.

As I said before, they could have added the Wiimote to the GC.

Take a look at what development went into the Wii......it went into the controller.

5. Games   -   #35
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I had to laugh at that, given that if you put "Next-gen console" or the like in Google you'll get articles about the three 7th gen consoles with Nintendo's "next-gen" console always getting a mention. So basically what you're saying is that you couldn't find an article to back up your position on Google.

Though I'd avoid using Google to back up a weak argument. Personally I'm going by the experience I accrued by being frontline during the Great 5th Generation Console War. That was a proper console war not like the limp wars we get these days, with over half a dozen consoles you stubborn fools could have argued didn't belong in that generation.

6. Games   -   #36
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    I was thinking of buying a Wii, but now that I knowq the graphics are not amazing Im questioning it. Does anybody here have a Wii, and have some good things to say about it? I will mostly play shooters, and soccer/basketball games.

7. Games   -   #37
    Quote Originally Posted by maebach View Post
    I was thinking of buying a Wii, but now that I knowq the graphics are not amazing Im questioning it. Does anybody here have a Wii, and have some good things to say about it? I will mostly play shooters, and soccer/basketball games.
    The Wii is fun. The new Zelda is great but it's a great game with Gamecube graphics.

For me, the Wii is a party console + Zelda.

Red Steel sucks ass. Imo it's not worth $250 at all.....unless you never had a Gamecube.

In that case....

Get Resident Evil 4, Zelda OOT, WW, and TP and call it a day. It comes with Wii Sports.

8. Games   -   #38
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    Ok, @the..... The links you post say the 360, wii and PS3 are 7th generation correct?
    So what was the Saturn? I didn't mean was IS it, I mean what WAS it.

The 360, and PS3 cannot possibly be 7th generation by your reckoning, the 360 is 2nd and the PS3 is 3rdand the Wii is 5th.
    They can't be 7th and if you say they are then what was first?
    Sega cd? Mega drive? Master system? 3do? Jaguar? Atari Sixer? Atari four?the Odyssey ? Channel F? there's 9 examples of different "Generations" of gaming consoles.

So the link you posted makes no sense, when did these generations start? and like I said about the saturn, if you look at Nintendo vs Sega it goes....

Master system vs NES
    Mega Drive (Genesis) vs SNES
    Mega CD vs N64?
    Saturn vs N64?
    Dreamcast vs Game cube

But the Mega cd was a next gen system.

So I'll go back to the quote Chese made of my post and ask, find a definition of "Next Gen game consoles" on google, I couldn't, please show me cos I really am interested in what is truely classed as "Next-Gen"

@Cheese.... After reading my above post please explain to me what was the 5th gen wars and what consoles were involved and why it was 5th gen.

@BM.... You and I could argue this forever, I think the only way this will be settled is to wait and see.

Jonno
    Last edited by Jon L. Obscene; 12-05-2006 at 10:59 PM.

9. Games   -   #39
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Ok, @the..... The links you post say the 360, wii and PS3 are 7th generation correct?

The 360, and PS3 cannot possibly be 7th generation by your reckoning, the 360 is 2nd and the PS3 is 3rdand the Wii is 5th.
    Sega cd? Mega drive? Master system? 3do? Jaguar? Atari Sixer? Atari four?the Odyssey ? Channel F? there's 9 examples of different "Generations" of gaming consoles.

So the link you posted makes no sense, when did these generations start? and like I said about the saturn, if you look at Nintendo vs Sega it goes....

Master system vs NES
    Mega CD vs N64?
    Saturn vs N64?
    Dreamcast vs Game cube

Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...281972-1977.29

That's pretty much how the gaming press, the gaming industry and your informed gamer sees it. It has more to do with the release dates of competing consoles than anything else though that is not the sole factor. The 360 is not a 2nd generation console because it was the second console Microsoft released as you incorrectly attempt to define it, rather it is a 7th gen console (which you could call "next-gen" but really that term should be used for the PS4, X720,etc) because it came out in the loose window defined by the releases of competing machines.

So I'll go back to the quote Chese made of my post and ask, find a definition of "Next Gen game consoles" on google, I couldn't, please show me cos I really am interested in what is truely classed as "Next-Gen"
    As I've said, using Google to back up your arguments is really flawed. Though if you insist, try Googling what's in your quote, it takes you to many articles about the three new consoles. Further, "Next-gen" is an oxymoron. It means nothing, it's something advertisers use to sell more machines and I'm dismayed that supposedly logically thinking people are taken in by this crap. If you take it, as I and many others do, to mean 7th gen then the Wii is "next-gen".

@Cheese.... After reading my above post please explain to me what was the 5th gen wars and what consoles were involved and why it was 5th gen.
    Easy. It was between the consoles released around 1994-1999, the main combatants were PS, N64 and Saturn.

However, these aren't hard and fast rules. Some leeway seems to be given because it's not the black and white issue you want to paint it as, though I believe that the definitions I have given are pretty much the way most informed people see the issue of "generations of consoles". Personally, I'm amazed that anybody would question this.
    Last edited by Cheese; 12-05-2006 at 11:51 PM.

10. Games   -   #40
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!

Master system vs NES
    Mega CD vs N64?
    Saturn vs N64?
    Dreamcast vs Game cube

@BM.... You and I could argue this forever, I think the only way this will be settled is to wait and see.

Jonno
    did you put that post in a food blender or sth?

this is the 7th generation because it's been decided that it's easiest to describe this as the 7th generation.

regardless of any particular consoles family tree. the 7th generation is the 360, the PS3 and the wii.

trying to refer to a cycle of consoles designed to rival each other as "sonys third, microsofts second, nintendos fifth and the first that sega wont play a part in as a hardware company" is harder than saying "7th generation"

it's the 7th cycle of home consoles since they decided the point to start counting.

this system of referring to generations is a standard the hardware industry, the software industry and gaming media have decided works.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast