Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Disney To Begin Renting 'self-destructing' Dvds

Originally posted by qasw1234edf@22 May 2003 - 19:07
    what if i buy one of those air tight food saver things? or could i just stick the dvd under water. too keep it from dying, that is so retarded though. disney sucks and always will.
    the air tight container may slow down the process...but not much i guess..
    as for dipping it underwater, i think it would still self-destruct coz there's oxygen in water too..
    unless maybe we could dip it in other kind of liquids...
    but then...itz still a dumb idea isnt it?
    having to go to tat much trouble jus to keep ur fav dvd...
    crazy morons...

2. Movies & TV   -   #32
    ShareDaddy's Avatar OLD ShareDaddy
    It is more closely akin to the old silume light sticks, once cracked and mixed the chemicals burn themselves out in a certain amount of time, some used to say you could extend the life by freezing them, however that never worked in my own personal tests. I would have to assume that even in a vacuum that these discs are going to become inoperable once they have been opened. I would also have to assume that they would have to be biodegradable, anything apart from that would have Greenpeace and all other environmental type folks up in arms. I really do not see the actual video rental stores providing this type of media, this would more apply itself to the ever growing world of internet rentals, that is you rent them from a place via the internet, they arrive via UPS and you return them via UPS. One place currently allows you to rent as many as possible in one month for a flat fee of 20.00 dollars US, however there is a limit on how many at one time and you do have return them prior to renting more. This particular type of media would negate the return trip as well as possibly increase your limit. Who knows but this could be the future, we just need to be prepared for anything I guess.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234