• Yes

19 44.19%
  • No

24 55.81%
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Death Sentance

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripper View Post
    I'd rather we kept Christianity and all religious points of view out of this discussion,seeing as how religion has caused more deaths,wars and suffering than anything else we have invented.
    Is that not similar to saying that cars kill people?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #102
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripper View Post
    I'd rather we kept Christianity and all religious points of view out of this discussion,seeing as how religion has caused more deaths,wars and suffering than anything else we have invented.
    Really, so politics and greed. Stealing other people's land and assets are a minor factor.

What exactly was the religious aspect to the first and second world wars.

Or more recently, people keep telling me that the Iraq thing is about oil. Is that not the case now.

People may have used religion as justification for wars, however I very much doubt that it was often the real reason.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

3. The Drawing Room   -   #103
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Without wishing to get into a name calling match here would it be a fair discussion point to suggest that much of "politics" historically is based on religion. We may not see it today in the same way as the "days of yore" but over years "religion" (not the belief in god) has caused much suffering. It has been used for good as well to be fair but that doesn't cancel out the bad.

However, the quote didn't say all wars and didn't say only wars.
    seeing as how religion has caused more deaths,wars and suffering than anything else we have invented.
    Inquisitions, burning at the stake, torture and execution for heresy or breaking religious laws etc.

People may have used religion as justification for wars, however I very much doubt that it was often the real reason
    I agree. As I argued on a different thread, Religion may not be the reason we go to war in the first place, certainly not in modern times, but it is used as a tool. It's stunning how many think we were attacked for no other reason than we are not Muslims.

Religion is a huge factor in civil wars and "ethnic cleansing" though.

It all depends on who's mind the religion resides as to how it's used. People use the same religion as a base for their intolerance that other use to be tolerant.

In the right hands religion can be a good thing, in the wrong hands it's among the most divisive and dangerous things invented.

In summary, religion isn't the problem itself, the problem is how it can and has been wielded as a weapon.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #104
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post

In summary, religion isn't the problem itself, the problem is how it can and has been wielded as a weapon.
    In short, I totally agree.

It can be used as just another form of propaganda.

However the root reason for all of the deaths and wars and so forth is greed.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #105
    I think the death sentence is fine, I mean hell the world is overpopulated. Whoever voted against the death sentence is a damn liberal democrat. No offense and no name calling, but you know you are. The democrats have taken over the house only because they pull crap out of there ass and make false promises. Dont let them take the presidancy!!

6. The Drawing Room   -   #106
    Quote Originally Posted by viper1405 View Post
    I think the death sentence is fine, I mean hell the world is overpopulated. Whoever voted against the death sentence is a damn liberal democrat. No offense and no name calling, but you know you are. The democrats have taken over the house only because they pull crap out of there ass and make false promises. Dont let them take the presidancy!!
    See, wait long enough and the voice of reason appears.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post

However the root reason for all of the deaths and wars and so forth is greed.
    I think I might be just disagreeing on defining words, however (and this may be argued as being encompassed in "greed"), I would say the root reason was power and the need to control to maintain that power. I see organised religions (being separate from the belief in a god) as having often been used as the tool for control.
    Last edited by vidcc; 01-28-2007 at 06:03 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #108

9. The Drawing Room   -   #109
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!

Yes lets keep going in the direction we have been going.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #110
    I think the death sentence is fine, I mean hell the world is overpopulated. Whoever voted against the death sentence is a damn liberal democrat.
    What a load of bollox, typical right wing republican bullshit!

In 2001 Illinois suspended the death penalty after the number of death row inmates released after DNA evidence proved their innocence, was larger than the number executed.

"We have now freed more people than we have put to death under our system -- 13 people have been exonerated and 12 have been put to death," Illinois Gov. George Ryan.

This has been repeated all over the US.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast