43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 44.19%
  • No

24 55.81%
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Death Sentance

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    I'm more of a New Testament man me'self. The old one is full of the shedding of blood and the turning into salt. The new one is more about love and forgiveness. Christ's message as it happens.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #72
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt_kermit View Post
    This is an age old question that goes back to the beginning of time. I am sure that I will receive some flak for quoting scripture, but I don't care.

Genesis 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man. (KJV)

I agree with the death penalty, the reason I don't think it is a great deterrent is because it is not used properly. Compare the south with the northeast according to http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/arti...scid=8&did=186 so I guess it also depends where you commit your crime! Don't commit a death penalty offense in the south, because they will actually follow through with it. Before some of you get your panties in a bunch I realize that there are only a few states in the northeast that have the death penalty.
    I don't think that life in prison is a big deterrent either or we would not have over crowding in the prison system.
    I think what everyone is referring to is that the death penalty is not more of a deterrent than life in prison so it is useless.

I rather not have it if there is a viable alternative. However, I agree that if you are going to have the death penalty, do it properly and in a timely manner.

Also, make the requirements in proof for it more stringent. A death sentence should require overwhelmingly compelling evidence.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #73
    Genesis 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man. (KJV)
    Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment that you pronounce you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, "Let me take the speck out of your eye," when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.
    Matthew 7.1-5

I don't think that life in prison is a big deterrent either or we would not have over crowding in the prison system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    This is interesting

As executions rose, states without the death penalty fared much better than states with the death penalty in reducing their murder rates. The gap between the murder rate in death penalty states and the non-death penalty states grew larger (as shown in Chart II). In 1990, the murder rates in these two groups were 4% apart. By 2000, the murder rate in the death penalty states was 35% higher than the rate in states without the death penalty. In 2001, the gap between non-death penalty states and states with the death penalty again grew, reaching 37%. For 2002, the number stands at 36%.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/php/...cid=12&did=168

You really are a nutcase kermit, you don't have an original thought of your own, all your authority comes from elsewhere. Baa!

4. The Drawing Room   -   #74
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    The above recent posts demonstrate what I was talking about in the other thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post

I have no problem with people believing in god etc. I do however feel that in many "organised religions" the doctrines were rooted in the views preferable to the original members and as time went by this expanded so that the religion became a reflection of the followers viewpoint instead of the original profits.

Different people within one "church" can have differing views.

What form the second coming will be is one example.

The death penalty is a fine example of moral differences within Christianity. Some will say jesus was about forgiveness and point to the "first stone" story. Others will point to an eye for an eye.
    Some will point to the ten commandments "shall not kill" to say the death sentence is wrong and that god should be the one that takes the life of the killer, not man.
    Basically people cherry pick to suit their own "agenda" and therefore make their "own brand" of whatever religion they profess to follow. This isn't a bad thing of course because for the most part people pick the "good things" to live by.
    But it can be. Examples of people following fanatic demagogues instead of the original profits can be seen worldwide and many have suffered because of it.

Back to topic

On the deterrent part would it be fair to say that no matter what one prefers (jail/death/work////////) any deterrent factor is at limited.

Would it be fair to say that as a deterrent one works better than the other overall (without stating which), but neither works for everyone.

Would it then be fair to say (ignoring morals arguments and concentrating on the deterrent factor) that having both options and the potential criminal has no way of knowing which will be applied should they be caught, could have more of a deterrent factor (limited) than removing one option.

Would it be fair to say that I am overusing "Would it be fair to say" in this post

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment that you pronounce you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, "Let me take the speck out of your eye," when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.
    Matthew 7.1-5

You really are a nutcase kermit, you don't have an original thought of your own, all your authority comes from elsewhere. Baa!

You quote Matthew 7:1-5 which states not to judge, but in the same post you judge me, you better head to the sawmill I'm sure they can take that log out for you.

I was not disagreeing with the charts provided, what I said was neither is a big deterrent. If it were then we would not need so many prisons.
    Debt is Normal, Be Weird
    Dave Ramsey

6. The Drawing Room   -   #76
    You quote Matthew 7:1-5 which states not to judge, but in the same post you judge me ..
    That's OK, I'm not a Christian, so I don't come under your silly rules, I'm able to think for myself, and judge!

7. The Drawing Room   -   #77
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Can you Atheists make your minds up. One's saying we pick what we want and the other's saying we can't think for ourselves.

Try to be consistent ffs.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #78
    bunny67's Avatar THE ORIGINAL BUNNY! BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    i agree on the death sentence for peodos,perverts and rapists.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #79
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by bunny67 View Post
    i agree on the death sentence for peodos,perverts and rapists.
    Thanks for the input.

Whose particular definition of the word pervert are you using.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

10. The Drawing Room   -   #80
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Can you Atheists make your minds up. One's saying we pick what we want and the other's saying we can't think for ourselves.

Try to be consistent ffs.
    You haven't tumbled to the fact atheists abhor and reject consistency in their own conduct, yet demand it of others.

I tip my hat to Ava, though, who is nonetheless fully committed to being judgmental; there's a good girl.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast