19 44.19%
  • No

24 55.81%
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Death Sentance

Fulanito's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    poor bastard...
    " I didn't want to become Peruvian, i just got lucky "

No preocupetion mister! A mi los Apaches me apapachan!
    Once a noob, always a noob!

2. The Drawing Room   -   #82
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Can you Atheists make your minds up. One's saying we pick what we want and the other's saying we can't think for ourselves.

Try to be consistent ffs.
    You haven't tumbled to the fact atheists abhor and reject consistency in their own conduct, yet demand it of others.

I tip my hat to Ava, though, who is nonetheless fully committed to being judgmental; there's a good girl.
    Devout atheists are my favourite. Fact.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

3. The Drawing Room   -   #83
    NA_Magus's Avatar ヽ(゜▽、゜)ノ
    The death sentence should only be brought onto criminals under special circumstances like those who've committed multiple homocides. One murder may seem enough to some people for the criminal to get the death penalty but depending on the case I'd say life in prison. Pedos and rapists should also get a very long term sentences. I do believe that the death sentence is a deterrent.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #84
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    On the deterrent part would it be fair to say that no matter what one prefers (jail/death/work////////) any deterrent factor is at limited.
    I'd think so. If you think about the emotional violator, which I would assume to be the most prevalent out there, any deterrent present would at best be marginally represented somewhere in the back of his/her head; most likely, totally absent.

Given this, the deterrent needs to be adequate enough as to curtain the cynical law breaker (i.e the "cold blooded killer"). Any harsher penalty (say a longer prison sentence) would potentially only lead to social problems like hardened criminals for instance. Not to mention prison expenses that could be used in more creative ways (rehabilitation).

As such, the death penalty seem horribly overkill purely from a rational point of view. Then again revenge isn't rational.

From a moral point of view, one can question how government sanctioned murder in a clinical, detached manner holds up ethically compared to the emotionally driven murderer acting in the moment.

I tend to see both as wrong.

On a side note. Norway has a maximum prison sentence of about 20 years for first degree murder. Our homicide rate is way lower than the US, lower than Canada, resembling those of the UK. I certainly don't believe raising the penalties would have any positive effect on crime rates.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #85
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by ahctlucabbuS View Post

On a side note. Norway has a maximum prison sentence of about 20 years for first degree murder. Our homicide rate is way lower than the US, lower than Canada, resembling those of the UK. I certainly don't believe raising the penalties would have any positive effect on crime rates.
    I think there may be other social variables than just the way the penal systems are run.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #86
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    You haven't tumbled to the fact atheists abhor and reject consistency in their own conduct, yet demand it of others.
    care to give an example of what an atheist (as part of being an atheist dictates) is demanding of others that they don't demand of themselves?

As far as I am aware the only thing needed to be classed an atheist is not believing in any god. There are no dictates in atheism as to how to lead ones life. There is individual consistency but as Atheism doesn't follow set rules other than not believing in any god, how could there be a group inconsistency?
    As far as I Know the only possible inconsistency there could be as part of being an atheist is saying there is no god......except this one which wouldn't be an atheist.

I know some like to call it a religion, nonetheless it's certainly not a "single religion" rather a million+ different religions.
    Last edited by vidcc; 01-08-2007 at 01:39 AM. Reason: missing k in know

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #87
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    lololololol why do people think atheism is like a cult or something? i'd hate to be all cliche but it's a sort of think for yourself thing

8. The Drawing Room   -   #88
    I will admit though that some Atheists take it more seriously than others and are big headed enough to think they can make suggestions for other atheists to follow.This has nothing to do with the author being an atheist and everything to do with him being egotistical.
    That or I am not an atheist but instead just someone that doesn't believe in god

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (OF THE ETHICAL ATHEIST)

NOTE: Free thought and tolerance obviously prohibit these from being "commandments"! Just consider them "suggestions".

1. Thou SHALT NOT believe all thou art told.
    2. Thou SHALT seek knowledge and truth constantly.
    3. Thou SHALT educate thy fellow man in the Laws of Science.
    4. Thou SHALT NOT forget the atrocities committed in the name of god.
    5. Thou SHALT leave valuable contributions for future generations.
    6. Thou SHALT live in peace with thy fellow man.
    7. Thou SHALT live this one life thou hast to its fullest.
    8. Thou SHALT follow a Personal Code of Ethics.
    9. Thou SHALT maintain a strict separation between Church and State.
    10. Thou SHALT support those who follow these commandments.
    source

9. The Drawing Room   -   #89
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins View Post
    lololololol why do people think atheism is like a cult or something? i'd hate to be all cliche but it's a sort of think for yourself thing
    Mang, it's practically a religion, as I always say.

Atheists believe that there is no god, christians (for instance) believe that there is one.

Neither can be proved, both are beliefs. And lots of atheist loooove telling others that there is no God, and pointing out the flaws the think they see in the belief systems of others, like some bunch of Jehova's witnesses in reverse.

The only way not to believe I know, is to be an agnostic (if one has to have labels on these things).

AFAIAC, atheists are pretty much religious.
    Last edited by Snee; 01-08-2007 at 03:30 AM.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #90
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahctlucabbuS View Post

I think there may be other social variables than just the way the penal systems are run.
    Sure. However you don't have to go all bananas with the shock machine to have a working deterrent, is my point.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast