Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boy, you Yanks are a strange lot!

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY View Post
    Back in sunday school, they always made it sound as if he'd be reborn.
    Which I always thought would be the point, him walking the earth and being all inspirational n' stuff
    They "made it sound" or they said "he would".
    Being "reborn" only means as a man if you come with that preconception.

There was an interesting debate here a while back as to what god is, is he an immortal being (that made man in his image) or is god everything around (god is "mother nature" so to speak...hard to describe).

Quote Originally Posted by SnnY View Post
    I see how him coming back as an invisible spirit might be convinient tho', every old nutter could claim they'd been touched by him that way.
    I have no problem with people believing in god etc. I do however feel that in many "organised religions" the doctrines were rooted in the views preferable to the original members and as time went by this expanded so that the religion became a reflection of the followers viewpoint instead of the original profits.

Different people within one "church" can have differing views.

What form the second coming will be is one example.

The death penalty is a fine example of moral differences within Christianity. Some will say jesus was about forgiveness and point to the "first stone" story. Others will point to an eye for an eye.
    Some will point to the ten commandments "shall not kill" to say the death sentence is wrong and that god should be the one that takes the life of the killer, not man.
    Last edited by vidcc; 01-03-2007 at 05:48 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    They "made it sound" or they said "he would".
    Being "reborn" only means as a man if you come with that preconception.
    Mang, I was four, or five years old, last I attended one of those sessions.

My lasting impression, tho', was that they figured he'd once again become incarnated, and I've not read, or heard anything saying otherwise.

But then, I can't really claim to having paid much attention to matters regarding jeebus in specific, since then.

If I ever looked in a bible after that, I'd skip right to the sexy bits.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    my point with that is that some view things with a literal "worldly stance", others use a more symbolic or spiritual stance.

If one asks only believers what is the nature of god? what is god? I bet there would be different views
    Last edited by vidcc; 01-03-2007 at 06:08 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    That's just ridiculous, the whole point of christianity is that he died on the cross and came back in his physical body, if he didn't, what's the point of it all?

the whole point of christianity???? The death was but one chapter surely.

So all Christians are in lockstep, they interpret the bible exactly the same way. The way you do?

All I did was relay what those around me believe. I do also know people that think he will be in human form. The point being that it's not a decided fact (as far as anything believed entirely on faith can be "fact") which is why I raised the question.

There are many different Christian churches with many different views.
    If a Church does not believe in certain basic things, then it is not a Christian Church.

These include that Jesus Christ was the Messiah spoken of in scripture. That he was the Son of God, that he died on the cross for our redemption and that he rose from the dead.

Obviously you are right that various Christian Churches believe and teach different things. However in order to be Christian they must believe and teach the same basics.

Strangely enough I was discussing this very point with a Wee Free and another Catholic today. For anyone who doesn't know, the Wee Free are probably as far away from Catholics (within Christianity) that you could get.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    in order to be Christian they must believe and teach the same basics.
    really? what are the rest of them and who decided them
    Last edited by ilw; 01-04-2007 at 08:42 PM. Reason: stupidity & flu

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Is he supposed to come back in human form then??

If he is then he has a problem as anyone that claims to be him is considered to be nuts
    I dunno what else he'd come back as.

Perhaps he's already here and has actually come back as my refrigerator?
    It would be a good idea. A few more people would 'see the light' when they open the door.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    in order to be Christian they must believe and teach the same basics.
    really? what are the rest of them and who decided them
    Yes, it's what a Christian is. They were decided upon by Christ.

If you want to know more about Christianity there are a variety of useful sources, what with the proselytising and so forth. The New Testament for example speaks at length about being a Christian and what it means.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    point is that christians don't agree on the contents of the new testament and what with the way it was written, the sayings of Christ are about as accurate as me pissing into the wind.

anyway, don't care, arguments about religion always wind me up so i'm quitting this one.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    i know more about jeebus than vidcc

the jesus story is what makes christianity, so if you don't believe it, you're a jew

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    point is that christians don't agree on the contents of the new testament and what with the way it was written, the sayings of Christ are about as accurate as me pissing into the wind.

anyway, don't care, arguments about religion always wind me up so i'm quitting this one.
    Oh noes, please don't, we so need your input. Particularly when you don't care.

Point is Christians agree about the main things, they disagree about the details. Fuck sake, they may be like human beings. Who knows.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast