Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BitTyrant - A selfish Bittorrent client that improves performance

lysine's Avatar 49311 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ne'tu View Post
    Hmmm, this is not a cheating client. I've looked through the PDF, but it's not about cheating there.
    you obviously didn't read this one:
    http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/p...affiliates.pdf

Cheating with BitTyrant

The unfairness of BitTorrent suggests that tit-for-tat does not work as intended
    and might be exploited by selfish users to improve performance.
    We have built BitTyrant, a selfish client designed to do exactly this.

it breaks the protocol and is not good for swarms in general.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    BANNED BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    heard alot about this one, but i love my Utorrent

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    BitTyrant, form what I gather, was made for people with real connection speeds that actually give you an upload speed worth mentioning. ( I have have a dedicated fiber connection )

It's so I don't have to get completely raped by all the other users out there. I've noticed massive increases in my speed and still manage to seed more than 3.0 before I'm done downloading.

I think they're just figuring that if you're going to be carrying all the little leachers and slow upload connections form the states, you might as well GET what your downloading at speeds comparable to what you're uploading.

That is how BitTyrant actually works for me on a day to day basis.

Seems very fair to me. I'm sure the entire community would be pissed as hell if I decided to share 5KBs up with them like they do to me.

I constantly give back, and until I get on a private tracker that gives as well as it gets, I'll continue to use BitTyrant in public to get files.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    tupac's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by inman View Post
    BitTyrant is based on modifications to Azureus 2.5, currently the most popular BitTorrent client.
    This noobs heard about uTorrent?

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I preffer Azureus over uTorrent any day. I have both installed but I use Azureus mostly. I have tried uTorrent since version 1.4 and I always liked Azureus better. Azureus has a lot of configuration options and I find it easy to tweak for max speed. I like the fact that it can be set to prioritize the first and last part of a torrent. It seems that you can start seeding much faster that way. Easy to use plugins with it and I like the stats screen much better. The only thing I didn't like was the memory usage but I found a good guide on how to reduce the memory usage.

As for BitTyrant it does sound kind of interesting. I might give it a try later on. Especially if it's based on Azureus.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    tupac's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by saulin View Post
    I preffer Azureus over uTorrent any day. I have both installed but I use Azureus mostly. I have tried uTorrent since version 1.4 and I always liked Azureus better. Azureus has a lot of configuration options and I find it easy to tweak for max speed. I like the fact that it can be set to prioritize the first and last part of a torrent. It seems that you can start seeding much faster that way. Easy to use plugins with it and I like the stats screen much better. The only thing I didn't like was the memory usage but I found a good guide on how to reduce the memory usage.
    Azureus is a bloated piece of s***. It eats a lot of memory and CPU compared to uTorrent.
    And my post was about: "Azureus 2.5, currently the most popular BitTorrent client"
    If you go on the peers page of a torrent on the site of a private tracker, you can see that 95% are using uTorrent, and only 2-3% are using Azureus. This is normal, since only very few people want to use a bloated piece of s*** like azureus.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by ind0ril View Post
    Azureus is a bloated piece of s***. It eats a lot of memory and CPU compared to uTorrent.
    Lawd, whatchoo got against using that RAM you paid for? I use utorrent when im on vista because RAM is at a premium then but on XP its Azureus all the way. Also - which site are you talking about?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12