Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions for Kermit ...

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

So you believe that God is an impossibility?
    actually i've just noticed my mistake, i choose #2...i don't believe

to answer your question.....yes

2. The Drawing Room   -   #92
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY View Post
    We are typing in between posts

You don't agree that you made a statement that matches my beliefs or you don't agree with the reason for my beliefs.
    I don't think my statement matches your beliefs, because I know the context I posted this within
    I have never had a problem with people correcting things or putting it in context, but your statement matches my beliefs perfectly, that you didn't mean to say that is a different thing

I don't believe in God.

This because there's no proof that he exists.

And yes the 1&2 are too close together on the keyboard
    Last edited by vidcc; 01-13-2007 at 02:00 AM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #93
    As fun as this has been, I need about a thousand winks, now.

If you get bored, just imagine me saying the opposite of what you think and keep going, and I'll try and fill in the blanks in later on

Debating stuff like this is more fun than shouting insults at people anyways

4. The Drawing Room   -   #94
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

So you believe that God is an impossibility?
    actually i've just noticed my mistake, i choose #2...i don't believe

to answer your question.....yes... although I could accept the theory that god isn't a "supreme being" or other such thing that would respond to worship, but is instead just a word to describe "nature" and the process that created. Even then I would call it nature and not god.
    Indeed I mean leaving worship out of it. Many folk like to bring the Bible and worship into the discussion when it is clearly out of scope.

What you refer to in your last was one thing that crossed my mind when I was younger. The God is literally everything.

My belief in a supreme sentient being started when I looked at how nature worked a certain way. My thought was that there is rule set, however basic it started, that had to be determined.

So when having to toss up what started everything, a sentient being or non sentient matter my conclusion was sentient being.

Now I can't prove it scientifically but so what, it's my belief based on some logic. No one has to prove anything to believe it.

It hasn't been proven OJ killed anyone yet many believe he did it and what was shown was proof enough to those people.

Saying something is and you believe something is are two different things.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #95
    there can only be one of three answers

1.you believe
    2. you don't believe
    3. you are undecided.
    Wrong, there is a fourth ... Neither 1 nor 2 can be proven, therefore I neither believe nor disbelieve. This isn't the same as 3, which admits either 1 or 2 could be right, but that you haven't decided which one.

I'm open to both possibilities, until such a time that one or the other is disproven, or I expire, whichever comes first (my money's on the latter).
    This is a contradiction of what you said in an earlier post ...

Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    I know for a fact that nothing can be proven.

I find SnnY's posts quite confusing, an atheist says, I don't believe in God[s], SnnY says ..
    .. I don't believe in God either ..
    Where is this atheist 'doctrine' you disassociate yourself with?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #96
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Is there a possibility that God was 'invented' because all the other Gods around at the time were about to be disproved as Gods and proven that they were only a tangible part of the Universe? Sun, Moon, Sea Gods etc.
    If that was the case then I admire the 'Inventor'. What a salesman, 'selling' something that is not tangible.

At the moment I dont believe in any religion. I have reached the age where I am keeping my options open. I do, however, believe in their morals. Religion itself is not to blame for any wrongs done in its name. It the Religious adherents who do stupid things in the name of that religion that are to blame. A bit like; the road does not cause any road accidents. It's only the people and vehicles using the roads that are the cause of accidents. There are very few, exceptions to the above.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #97
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    There is an invisible alien from mars that we can't hear or detect behind you. It's gathering fuel for it's spaceship, in this case the flakes of skin that all humans shed.
    Quote Originally Posted by snny
    Maybe in a parallel universe, and the existence or non-existence of that can't be proven either. Sounds eminently silly, tho', and the odds are most likely a lot worse for it, seeing as how it's very specific

i'd say it's more likely, as it's not supernatural

8. The Drawing Room   -   #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    Wrong, there is a fourth ... Neither 1 nor 2 can be proven, therefore I neither believe nor disbelieve. This isn't the same as 3, which admits either 1 or 2 could be right, but that you haven't decided which one.

I'm open to both possibilities, until such a time that one or the other is disproven, or I expire, whichever comes first (my money's on the latter).

I find SnnY's posts quite confusing, an atheist says, I don't believe in God[s], SnnY says ..
    It was very early in the morning, however, if you'd read all of what I said, instead of the bits you thought made for nice cutouts, you'da' understood what I said.

However, once more for the hard of reading:

I don't don't believe, or believe in God the way JP, Dave, or vid does.

I know that there is a possibility that God exists, but I also know that there is a possibility that one doesn't, this knowledge doesn't equal believing in, or not beliving in God the way a religious person, or an atheist does. I know neither can be proven, and therefore I'm open to the fact that either possibility may be true, or false.

Therefore I don't believe in God, but I also don't "don't believe in God" the way vid does, since what he's saying really is that he believes that God doesn't exist. My not believing doesn't mean the same thing as an atheists believing. (I explained this, tho', and stopped saying that "I don't believe", since that became confusing.)

He believes in something. I don't. In this case. (vid would say I believe in possibilities or sth, which I disagree on, as I say I know that neither possibility can be disproven at this point in time. This is because of there's plenty of empirical evidence that not all is known, and that since it isn't, we don't have the means to know everything, and so on.)

The only reason I didn't go over it and clarify, was because vid had already quoted me, and I'd already made an amendment to clarify the context in which that was posted in a later post.

And dave, no.

The odds for Martians existing here and now would most likely be far worse than the existence of a God somewhere, at some level of existence, somewhere.

As I've been saying, there's a lot to reality that isn't known, and therefore the odds for a God existing, or not existing, can't be determined at all, and until they can, no one can say however it's improbable or not, whereas the Martians we can say something about.

Parallel universes, m-space, eleven dimensions (not the same as parallel dimensions, btw), holographic universe, ever-changing laws of physics, near (from our POV) infinite time, and space, or possibly just infinite.

And at any point in time, or that space, a god, or godlike creature, could exist, or start existing.

As for the martians:

We (think we) know something of Mars, today, in this space, we know that there have been no known observations of martians, we know that skin is mostly just carbon, and that can be found anywhere, as can all of the elements constituting a human body, so there'd not be much of a point in collecting that for fuel, so they most likely wouldn't go here for that, 'cos it'd be insane, and so on.

EDit: And it's also fairly specific, and for each detail: Time, space, purpose, point of origin, etc, it becomes less probable.
    Last edited by Snee; 01-13-2007 at 12:00 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #99
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins View Post

anyway, it shouldn't be my job to prove there is no god. it should be your job to prove there is
    How does that work then. As I understand it the default position in western society for many years was the belief in a God. It quite possibly still is.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

10. The Drawing Room   -   #100
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post

It was very early in the morning, however, if you'd read all of what I said, instead of the bits you thought made for nice cutouts, you'da' understood what I said.

However, once more for the hard of reading:

I don't don't believe, or believe in God the way JP, Dave, or vid does.

I know that there is a possibility that God exists, but I also know that there is a possibility that one doesn't, this knowledge doesn't equal believing in, or not beliving in God the way a religious person, or an atheist does. I know neither can be proven, and therefore I'm open to the fact that either possibility may be true, or false.

Therefore I don't believe in God, but I also don't "don't believe in God" the way vid does, since what he's saying really is that he believes that God doesn't exist. My not believing doesn't mean the same thing as an atheists believing. (I explained this, tho', and stopped saying that "I don't believe", since that became confusing.)

He believes in something. I don't. In this case. (vid would say I believe in possibilities or sth, which I disagree on, as I say I know that neither possibility can be disproven at this point in time. This is because of there's plenty of empirical evidence that not all is known, and that since it isn't, we don't have the means to know everything, and so on.)

The only reason I didn't go over it and clarify, was because vid had already quoted me, and I'd already made an amendment to clarify the context in which that was posted in a later post.

And dave, no.

The odds for Martians existing here and now would most likely be far worse than the existence of a God somewhere, at some level of existence, somewhere.

As I've been saying, there's a lot to reality that isn't known, and therefore the odds for a God existing, or not existing, can't be determined at all, and until they can, no one can say however it's improbable or not, whereas the Martians we can say something about.

Parallel universes, m-space, eleven dimensions (not the same as parallel dimensions, btw), holographic universe, ever-changing laws of physics, near (from our POV) infinite time, and space, or possibly just infinite.

And at any point in time, or that space, a god, or godlike creature, could exist, or start existing.

As for the martians:

We (think we) know something of Mars, today, in this space, we know that there have been no known observations of martians, we know that skin is mostly just carbon, and that can be found anywhere, as can all of the elements constituting a human body, so there'd not be much of a point in collecting that for fuel, so they most likely wouldn't go here for that, 'cos it'd be insane, and so on.

EDit: And it's also fairly specific, and for each detail: Time, space, purpose, point of origin, etc, it becomes less probable.
    i understand the whole 10th dimension thing and infinity and shizzle. the point is that even if a godlike creature came to exist in another universe. if it came into our universe it would obey our physics. now an alien with great technology but poor common sense could exist. even if it came from another dimension's planet mars, it breaks no laws here

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast