Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions for Kermit ...

Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Is there a possibility that God was 'invented' because all the other Gods around at the time were about to be disproved as Gods and proven that they were only a tangible part of the Universe? Sun, Moon, Sea Gods etc.
    If that was the case then I admire the 'Inventor'. What a salesman, 'selling' something that is not tangible.

At the moment I dont believe in any religion. I have reached the age where I am keeping my options open. I do, however, believe in their morals. Religion itself is not to blame for any wrongs done in its name. It the Religious adherents who do stupid things in the name of that religion that are to blame. A bit like; the road does not cause any road accidents. It's only the people and vehicles using the roads that are the cause of accidents. There are very few, exceptions to the above.
    We aren't talking about religion though.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #112
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    Wrong, there is a fourth ... Neither 1 nor 2 can be proven, therefore I neither believe nor disbelieve. This isn't the same as 3, which admits either 1 or 2 could be right, but that you haven't decided which one.

This is a contradiction of what you said in an earlier post ...

Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    I know for a fact that nothing can be proven.

I find SnnY's posts quite confusing, an atheist says, I don't believe in God[s], SnnY says ..
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    .. I don't believe in God either ..
    Where is this atheist 'doctrine' you disassociate yourself with?
    It was very early in the morning, however, if you'd read all of what I said, instead of the bits you thought made for nice cutouts, you'da' understood what I said.

However, once more for the hard of reading:

I don't don't believe, or believe in God the way JP, Dave, or vid does.

I know that there is a possibility that God exists, but I also know that there is a possibility that one doesn't, this knowledge doesn't equal believing in, or not beliving in God the way a religious person, or an atheist does. I know neither can be proven, and therefore I'm open to the fact that either possibility may be true, or false.

Therefore I don't believe in God, but I also don't "don't believe in God" the way vid does, since what he's saying really is that he believes that God doesn't exist. My not believing doesn't mean the same thing as an atheists believing. (I explained this, tho', and stopped saying that "I don't believe", since that became confusing.)

He believes in something. I don't. In this case. (vid would say I believe in possibilities or sth, which I disagree on, as I say I know that neither possibility can be disproven at this point in time. This is because of there's plenty of empirical evidence that not all is known, and that since it isn't, we don't have the means to know everything, and so on.)

The only reason I didn't go over it and clarify, was because vid had already quoted me, and I'd already made an amendment to clarify the context in which that was posted in a later post.

And dave, no.

The odds for Martians existing here and now would most likely be far worse than the existence of a God somewhere, at some level of existence, somewhere.

As I've been saying, there's a lot to reality that isn't known, and therefore the odds for a God existing, or not existing, can't be determined at all, and until they can, no one can say however it's improbable or not, whereas the Martians we can say something about.

Parallel universes, m-space, eleven dimensions (not the same as parallel dimensions, btw), holographic universe, ever-changing laws of physics, near (from our POV) infinite time, and space, or possibly just infinite.

And at any point in time, or that space, a god, or godlike creature, could exist, or start existing.

As for the martians:

We (think we) know something of Mars, today, in this space, we know that there have been no known observations of martians, we know that skin is mostly just carbon, and that can be found anywhere, as can all of the elements constituting a human body, so there'd not be much of a point in collecting that for fuel, so they most likely wouldn't go here for that, 'cos it'd be insane, and so on.

EDit: And it's also fairly specific, and for each detail: Time, space, purpose, point of origin, etc, it becomes less probable.
    You're agnostic.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #113
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post
    Do you realise that doesn't actually make sense.
    What you've posted there doesn't make sense, was that a question or a statement?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #114
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins View Post
    why? because your religion is malleable?

well yeah, you see the creation story isn't wrong it's just a metaphor. what it really means is that god guided evolution
    Simpler than that old bean. If you're right, how do you say "told you so".

Unless of course I've jumped the gun and you believe in an after-life, sans a deity.

Not really sure what you meant by the other bit, other than it making sense to me.
    for the last 1500 or so years christianity has been repeatedly knocked down because the beliefs contradict facts. skeptics have never been able to say "told you so" because christians keep moving the goal posts.

right now i'm guessing the few things you still believe are; creation of the universe, evolution driven by god (which you wouldn't have, before darwin), an afterlife.

the first of these is because there's no one watertight theory for the creation of the universe.

the second is because you can't accept that humans aren't special.

the third is still widely accepted even though it's impossible. people find it difficult to believe this is just a survival mechanism. there are influences such as drugs and brain damage that can change a personality. sleep deprivation can make us act unlike we normally do. brain damage can make a person forget everything they've ever done. if there is an afterlife we won't remember this one, and because this one can be corrupted by so many things beyond our control it shouldn't effect the next.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #115
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Is there a possibility that God was 'invented' because all the other Gods around at the time were about to be disproved as Gods and proven that they were only a tangible part of the Universe? Sun, Moon, Sea Gods etc.
    If that was the case then I admire the 'Inventor'. What a salesman, 'selling' something that is not tangible.

At the moment I dont believe in any religion. I have reached the age where I am keeping my options open. I do, however, believe in their morals. Religion itself is not to blame for any wrongs done in its name. It the Religious adherents who do stupid things in the name of that religion that are to blame. A bit like; the road does not cause any road accidents. It's only the people and vehicles using the roads that are the cause of accidents. There are very few, exceptions to the above.
    We aren't talking about religion though.
    we really are. the reason you believe an uncreated god set the rules is based off of the dogma from christianity and countless religions before it.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #116
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Do you realise that doesn't actually make sense.
    What you've posted there doesn't make sense, was that a question or a statement?
    Yes.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

7. The Drawing Room   -   #117
    Yes.
    Ah, I thought so.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #118
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins View Post

Simpler than that old bean. If you're right, how do you say "told you so".

Unless of course I've jumped the gun and you believe in an after-life, sans a deity.

Not really sure what you meant by the other bit, other than it making sense to me.
    for the last 1500 or so years christianity has been repeatedly knocked down because the beliefs contradict facts.

Like physics then

skeptics have never been able to say "told you so" because christians keep moving the goal posts.

That's the FA you're thinking about

right now i'm guessing the few things you still believe are; creation of the universe, evolution driven by god (which you wouldn't have, before darwin), an afterlife.

I wasn't alive before Darwin so I couldn't possibly comment.

the first of these is because there's no one watertight theory for the creation of the universe.

See above re physics. There are theories, however they will probly change as we get better at observing, recording and analyzing

the second is because you can't accept that humans aren't special.

Why should I, we are special

the third is still widely accepted even though it's impossible. people find it difficult to believe this is just a survival mechanism. there are influences such as drugs and brain damage that can change a personality. sleep deprivation can make us act unlike we normally do. brain damage can make a person forget everything they've ever done.

You having alternative explanations doesn't make it impossible. Both can be true.

if there is an afterlife we won't remember this one, and because this one can be corrupted by so many things beyond our control it shouldn't effect the next.

Not a clue what you mean there. Seriously, not a clue.

I hate posting like that.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

9. The Drawing Room   -   #119
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Wrong, there is a fourth ... Neither 1 nor 2 can be proven, therefore I neither believe nor disbelieve. This isn't the same as 3, which admits either 1 or 2 could be right, but that you haven't decided which one.
    I disagree. Of course it's the same. You haven't decided if you believe one or the other. Saying you neither believe nor disbelieve is just using more words to say you are undecided. That you have no intention to make a choice is neither here nor there

I also disagree with the whole "it can never be proven" thing on this. One day it could be proven that he does exist, it's just we can't prove it now. Who knows, one day we may have that restaurant at the end of the universe. However given the way his existence has been phrased I agree that to the faithful it can never be disproved. I could go around my entire life and point and say "there he isn't", this will not disprove anything because of the way his existence has been phrased. Saying "there he is" and he is there moving in mysterious ways would be proof.
    It's a clever trick.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #120
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    I disagree. Of course it's the same. You haven't decided if you believe one or the other. Saying you neither believe nor disbelieve is just using more words to say you are undecided. That you have no intention to make a choice is neither here nor there .
    You misrepresent me; to say you're undecided is to say there's a choice and you can't make up your mind which to believe.

I neither believe nor disbelieve, it has nothing whatsoever to do with being undecided.

One is saying you can't make up your mind and the other is saying there's nothing to decide.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast