Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Data Transfer Questions

harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Geesh guys, if the file download dialog box opens up while you're at his site than that data is going through the Geocities servers. If you go to a mirror site(not located on the Geocities server) and than download, then the data isn't going through his site(or their servers).

BTW, everytime you scroll a page this is downloading more data thereby affecting bandwidth usage. I mention this because since the site is hosted for free, Geocities is may be monitoring bandwidth that closely.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by harrycary@21 May 2003 - 16:53
    Geesh guys, if the file download dialog box opens up while you're at his site than that data is going through the Geocities servers. If you go to a mirror site(not located on the Geocities server) and than download, then the data isn't going through his site(or their servers).

BTW, everytime you scroll a page this is downloading more data thereby affecting bandwidth usage. I mention this because since the site is hosted for free, Geocities is may be monitoring bandwidth that closely.
    what? how does it use more data scrolling the page?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    TRshady
    Originally posted by harrycary@21 May 2003 - 15:53
    Damn, thats what I thought!, soul says your wrong.

Sorry to keep going on but I really want to know, whats right?

so far its 2vs1 that direct linking files (that aren't stored in your geo account) does NOT effect geocities site transfer.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i dont see how it does affect your data tranfer, as t#your computer communicates diretcly to where the file is,
    if it went through geociteis,, or whatever first, think of the massive waste of bandwidth, and they'll not be wantin to waste bandwidth, what about when u link to another page, then doesnt that affect your data transfer, no it doesnt. simple as that, it dont affect your transfer.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Okay, let's get this straight! If you link to another site (doesn't matter if its a web page or a downloadable file) it is NOT counted towards your bandwidth limit. You are just hyperlinking to another file, located on another web sever. If that file is not located on the Geocities web sever, it is not counted towards your bandwidth limit. Geocities can NOT relay files to you thru their web sever from another web sever, that is because they are running a web server and not a proxy server!

Scrolling on a web site does not generate more traffic, which means it is not downloading more data. All you are essentially doing is downloading a text file with an HTML (or htm) extension and a bunch of images, that your browser puts together to create a web page.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by MadDog-2000@21 May 2003 - 20:12
    Okay, let's get this straight! If you link to another site (doesn't matter if its a web page or a downloadable file) it is NOT counted towards your bandwidth limit. You are just hyperlinking to another file, located on another web sever. If that file is not located on the Geocities web sever, it is not counted towards your bandwidth limit. Geocities can NOT relay files to you thru their web sever from another web sever, that is because they are running a web server and not a proxy server!

Scrolling on a web site does not generate more traffic, which means it is not downloading more data. All you are essentially doing is downloading a text file with an HTML (or htm) extension and a bunch of images, that your browser puts together to create a web page.
    yeah, what you said, i really would like to know where this guy got where scrolling created more data.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    TRshady
    YES!, thank you for assuring me. It makes sense coz image the forums transfer with all those avatars and Sig's, so I can go to sleep happy tonight

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Although I don't know how Geocities figures their users' bandwidth usage, you don't know either unless you work there. If they are giving away webspace, it stands to reason that they would go through great lengths to limit it. Especially since bandwidth usage is their primary concern. The sysadmin can do or say what he wants. Who's to stop him? They ain't making any money from TRshady.

A long page full of images and such just adds to the bandwidth it takes to view(more data). I just worded it wrong. My bad.

Given this isn't the first I've heard about Geocities. I would recommend a different host altogether.

I guess I should expect to be slammed given the average age of those in this community.

No offense intended. I was young and impetuous once.

Share on...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    yo ur site is doing fine...

i think there was a recent change

geocities now has 3gb bandwidth... i checked it out and itz lasting alot longer!

i dled a 5mb file several times from one of my geocities homepage and it worked....

Visit my homepage and sign my guest book as well as trshadyz

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    TRshady
    soul, I signed it long time mate, unless you want me to sign it again, lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast