Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Procrastination. Help.

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard View Post
    I would suggest you seek psychiatric help, as being addicted to anything, needs professional help.
    Don't be so wet. All you need to beat an addiction is willpower and strength of character.

There are many different reasons for addiction, and individuals will often develop an addiction through a confluence of these reasons.

There is evidence at the genetic/heredity level that seems to indicate predisposition. This means that certain genetic traits are shared among people who have addictions that do not appear in other segments of the population. These traits may allow for certain aspects of a person's physiology to be more prone to developing dependence. This can be seen in certain variations in how different individuals process or produce neurochemicals in their brain. This also has to do with how receptor sites on brain cells operate.

Environmental factors also play a role. A person's level of self-awareness and feelings of self-worth would necessarily play their part. Situations which may arise early on in a person's life may create a distinct lack of value that one may normally develop for themselves. This can open the door for the need to supplant actual feelings of self-love and satisfaction with what ephemeral and external sources can provide.

Addictions come in many forms, from chemical substances which elicit physiological and psychological effects such as euphoria or detachment, to actions such as sex or shopping or gambling. While they all are unique and have numerous, complex beginnings, they all pretty much boil down to an individual seeking to create within themselves an environment of happiness and contentment that they feel they lack, especially when seen in comparisons to others around them.
    Last edited by bigboab; 01-22-2007 at 01:52 PM.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    SpiderPig's Avatar The Clams BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    Take breaks when working.. That's what I do.

Say I have an English essay due next Monday (giving me a week), I'm going to read the book (or sparknotes) on the first 2 days; Start researching themes and ideas of the book the 3rd day; Organize the essay (outlines and thesis) the 4th day; Write the body paragraphs on Friday; Write the Intro and Conclusion on Saturday; and just revise/do bibliography on Sunday.

Also, when writing or doing any type of homework, take breaks! When I'm doing a large assignment or studying for a test, I usually do less than half of it and go visit my girl or shoot some hoops, then get back into it.

PS. Don't think you're the only one procrastinating or don't have much time on your hands. I'm involved in 6 clubs, volunteer around the community, play the violin and piano, AND play a sport in each season (Soccer, Indoor Track, Baseball).
    No Whining

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by FalconsSB View Post
    Take breaks when working.. That's what I do.

Say I have an English essay due next Monday (giving me a week), I'm going to read the book (or sparknotes) on the first 2 days; Start researching themes and ideas of the book the 3rd day; Organize the essay (outlines and thesis) the 4th day; Write the body paragraphs on Friday; Write the Intro and Conclusion on Saturday; and just revise/do bibliography on Sunday.

Also, when writing or doing any type of homework, take breaks! When I'm doing a large assignment or studying for a test, I usually do less than half of it and go visit my girl or shoot some hoops, then get back into it.

PS. Don't think you're the only one procrastinating or don't have much time on your hands. I'm involved in 6 clubs, volunteer around the community, play the violin and piano, AND play a sport in each season (Soccer, Indoor Track, Baseball).
    Whoopsie Doo Dah. You look like you are one of those 'jocks'. All you have to do is continually put your balls in the right place and you graduate. Wait a minute...
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard View Post
    I would suggest you seek psychiatric help, as being addicted to anything, needs professional help.
    Don't be so wet. All you need to beat an addiction is willpower and strength of character.

..well being addicted to something shows that one has not those attributes..and also the human mind is cunning and will find at some time and excuse to indulge...

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    I love the word Procrastination, it makes Lazy sound smart.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    I love the word Procrastination, it makes Lazy sound smart.

:earl:

This could have been drawn about me every day at work

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12