Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Catholic Church loses fight to discriminate ..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    There is no separation of church and state in Britain. The church sits in the House of Lords, and the Archbishop of Canterbury is chosen by the Prime Minister.
    To be accurate, that would be the Church of England which is joined to the State. The Catholic Church is in fact separate from the State, I believe the Act of Union is very specific on that point.
    That's partly right I think, I'm not too sure, but isn't the Church of Scotland established in Scotland, and don't they also sit in the House of Lords?

The only references to Catholicism I can remember from the Act of Union was the banning of Catholics from the throne.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #62
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4

To be accurate, that would be the Church of England which is joined to the State. The Catholic Church is in fact separate from the State, I believe the Act of Union is very specific on that point.
    That's partly right I think, I'm not too sure, but isn't the Church of Scotland established in Scotland, and don't they also sit in the House of Lords?

The only references to Catholicism I can remember from the Act of Union was the banning of Catholics from the throne.
    The Act guaranteed that the Church of Scotland would remain the established church in Scotland. I don't think they are represented in The Lords tho', but I'm not sure.

It does indeed ban Catholics from the throne. Specifically Catholics and no other group. Did you also see the uproar when T Blair attended Catholic mass with his Catholic Wife and Children, he I believe is Anglican. It was really rather funny.

I've got a bet on that he quietly turns Jungle Jim when he leaves power.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

3. The Drawing Room   -   #63
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1

The Act guaranteed that the Church of Scotland would remain the established church in Scotland. I don't think they are represented in The Lords tho', but I'm not sure.

It does indeed ban Catholics from the throne. Specifically Catholics and no other group. Did you also see the uproar when T Blair attended Catholic mass with his Catholic Wife and Children, he I believe is Anglican. It was really rather funny.

I've got a bet on that he quietly turns Jungle Jim when he leaves power.
    I think he might wait until he completes a few USA tours first.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #64
    It does indeed ban Catholics from the throne. Specifically Catholics and no other group.
    Actually, there are two other groups, those who marry Catholics, and bastards.

Line of Succession to the British Throne.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #65
    It does indeed ban Catholics from the throne. Specifically Catholics and no other group.
    Actually, there are two other groups, those who marry Catholics, and bastards.

Line of Succession to the British Throne.

That's OK well.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #66
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    There is no separation of church and state in Britain. The church sits in the House of Lords, and the Archbishop of Canterbury is chosen by the Prime Minister.
    All of which points up the difference between the U.K. and the U.S., which difference seems to be clouding this debate and rendering it untenable.

That's it for me.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #67
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    It boils down to this.

Adoption agencies are controlled by government. You can't set up an adoption agency without approval by the government, (if you do then you are not in the adoption business you are a human trafficker). This is to ensure the safety of the children. It would be wrong not to regulate such a concern.
    Government sets the rules, it would be wrong to apply the rules selectively. Expecting religious beliefs to be an opt out of the regulations is demanding special treatment. You may agree with special treatment in this case but then you probably will not for a different case. The best way is to apply the rules across the board.

The cries of the state interfering with the church are pointless, they are not interfering with the church at all, they are regulating an adoption agency. Who runs that agency is irrelevant.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #68
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    The best way is to apply the rules across the board.
    I agree, it is perhaps unfortunate that doesn't happen in so many other cases.

Church adoption agencies have asked for an exemption and didn't get it. They will have to follow the rules and will stop doing it.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #69
    the catholic adoption centers have a right to belief. the government is preventing the adoption centers to exercise their beliefs. that is not right.
    Last edited by anak; 02-05-2007 at 09:48 AM.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #70
    Chip Monk's Avatar Darth Monk Like.
    You don't get involved in these sorts of discussions because you talk nonsensical drivel. Here's one bit

"I think it is because religious folk are forced to think that their was is the best way" why would anyone think differently. That would be mental.

Here's another

"And if someone who was qualified as an able parent turns out to be a secret pedophile, then oh well. shit happens." That's your answer, shit happens.
    You do not need to see my I.D.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567