Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Don't Some Share

why cant the new peer gurdian have tcp/ip connections so that you can see ip and also block them
    i still use peer guardian veresion 1.2 just to see who is uploading from me

if i get some 1 who isnt sharing i send them a message telling them to share if not
    i tell them i will block them and they dont belive me, 2 secs l8r there gone i love this version
    1.2 peer guardian very effective for strange uploaders.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    its probably better if i dont share because i'm on 56k and people download from me at about 3KB/s. i do share every now and again but every time someone downloads they just abort when they see the shit speed there getting. its just wasting there time.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    yeh i agree hollerz 56k modems should turn there uploads off, or only share very small programs and utilitys
    and pictures.

and also i dont mind a 56k uploading from me as long as its a small program
    but trying to download anything over 20mb forget it

when i had a 56k modem i would only download songs and very small programs nothing over 20mb
    so all use 56kers should do the same.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Poster
    Originally posted by hollerz@25 May 2003 - 08:42
    its probably better if i dont share because i'm on 56k and people download from me at about 3KB/s. i do share every now and again but every time someone downloads they just abort when they see the shit speed there getting. its just wasting there time.
    3 KB/sec is a LOT faster than most downloads I'm seeing.
    Just set sharing to 1 upload at a time and upload bandwidth to 24 kilobits/sec, share a limited number of (small) files and forget about it.
    You're doing your part by sharing.
    3 KB/sec = 10 MB an hour

Most people on broadband probably won't abort the download unless they're closing Kazaa entirely -- they're the ones most likely to leave it running for 24/7.

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Poster
    Originally posted by Somebody1234@24 May 2003 - 22:24
    We need to start making lists of IPs that we could post here on the board. It would get to be a good deterent. It might make people think twice about sharing if they knew they could be added to the list. If a lot of us would block them with peerguardian then they wouldn't get sources. 56k users would not be affected, their IPs change with each logon. I still think 56k users should share. Broadband users should not have a choice.
    A list is nearly worthless, because people can change their nicknames and many/most are on dynamic ips.

On the OTHER hand, it might be worth finding out which ISPs have super-draconian (and actually ENFORCED) useage policies that either prevent running of Kazaa on their service, throttle it horribly, or just block uploads.

I know Shaw cable forbids (in writing only) its users from uploading, but some do it anyway. Most however are leeches...

Many universities are able to DOWNLOAD off Kazaa at blazing speeds but their uploads are now throttled to 1 KB/sec total.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Poster
    To every one in this thread who said they are not sharing (for whatever reason) you are leaches! Uninstall your Kazaalite and leave. We don't need you. That goes for anyone else reading this message who aren't sharing.

This situation amazes me. The development team here works and works on ways to improve download speed and we end up with real slow downloads. All because you people seem to justify turning off sharing. No sources=no downloads.

I have been sharing good quality files. Ones that are properly named and tested full versions of the latest software, movies, TV episodes etc. I do this with a highspeed connection and uploads are always busy 24/7.

Ok, ok sorry if I seem too harsh... You've convinced me. I will turn off my sharing too as you suggest I should.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Yeah i agree totally with the above argument, u need to share, this is the whole basis of Kazaa and other P2P programs. Just installing this program and accepting no Uploads is just LEECHING plain & simple..
    For example i got a copy of 'Matrix Reloaded' 2 cds, which i've been sharing for around a week now, im on a Broadband connection so have left quite a few slots open (also i aint wanting to download much at the minute) so more users can get this file and in turn share it themselves, But i've had people messaging me and saying 'cheers u is the only one sharing', this aint good to hear. It seems people will get a good file and keep it for themselves (not good/not a kazaa attitude)..now i feel an arse when i have to shut off my Pc at night and kill they're only source..Shape up non-sharers or F**k Off!!!
    I got Booted from Xbox Scene Forum...Proud??...You Betcha!!

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    We should ALL cancel peoples uploads from us if they arnt sharing and also

cancel people takeing the piss out of us with up load speeds like 1kb

we need to fight back against the leechers!!!! there is no reason for not

sharing.

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    They (leeches) are known as lamers, you can find most of them at www.dslreports.com in software sharing forum. IRC is one of their favorite stuff because no one has to upload anything but the queue is astonishing! since no one is uploading. Their all feeding on the same crap over and over, mostly junk file, worthless IMHO and extremely paranoid freaks who think uploading is a waste of their bandwidth or they might get caught. wtf?

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Poster
    Originally posted by ISthisLEGAL.com@25 May 2003 - 13:15
    We should ALL cancel peoples uploads from us if they arnt sharing and also

cancel people takeing the piss out of us with up load speeds like 1kb

we need to fight back against the leechers!!!! there is no reason for not sharing.
    You seem to have confused 2 separate, almost unrelated, problems.

People who download slowly from you are the ones who are often _uploading_ (IE:sharing) too fast for their connection... and you're going to reward them for their efforts by treating them like they're a leech!

They may be trying to share too much at once or they may be trying to get 5+ sources or downloads going at once using a 56k.

Message them, and ask if you can help them instead.
    Usually it's a simple fix: they just need to
    1.turn off optimal bandwidth while idle
    2.set upload bandwidth to the max (or slightly less) for their connection
    3.reduce max uploads
    4.reduce max DOWNLOADS if on 56k to only about 5 and if they're using KL++ reduce the number of sources PER download to only about 5 (it can try more than 5, it will only allow 5 ACTIVE sources.)

Trying to upload to 10+ people at once even on a decent broadband connection means <2 KB/sec average speed for each upload and LOTS of disconnects&#33;

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast